Hi gents, im 27 years old and have recently got back into "competitive" you could say, enduro and motocross racing. I started riding dirt bikes when I was 6 years old and rode till I was about 13(only for fun) but the time spent on the bike was priceless and as Gary Semics would say, I had the fever. Unfortunately due to family complications I don't necessarily wish to discuss I had to stop riding. As mentioned before I am now recently getting back into it. Im writing this as we speak in my hotel room in the north of Italy at an enduro school taught by a former enduro champion and the creator of Hells Gate and Dakar competitor Fabio Fasola. *highly recommend you look him up*  In other words he's a certified bonified pro on two wheels. It's a 3 day course and day 3 is tomorrow morning. It has been an amazing experience so far but I wish he would share his thoughts and even give some constructive criticism to become a better rider. Im a spunge and I'm trying to extract as much water from the guy but sometimes the faucet isn't always open. Maybe he doesn't want to give away his best secrets and maybe there aren't since time on the bike is what counts. I must say though that watching him on a bike is like watching a lion capture a gazelle, you know its going to happen either way but you still stay to watch the magic watch him hit that tiny 5 inch rut like he's on train rails.  My question to the forum is what books might be good to read that will help me become a better rider when off the bike? any recommendations would be greatly appreciated, thank you! 

too many YouTube videos out there that are way better than any book IMO, next best thing to being in an instructional camp. Sorry, can't help on any book. Glad you are back riding and enjoying it!

Check and see if Tomac has a MX school. Last night at Daytona he started 7th in the main. Rocsen, Anderson and Webb all top riders out in front of him, with Rocsen in the lead by 8 sec. He blew all their doors off and won his 4th Daytona MX race! Can you ever imagine what he could do if he ever got his start's off the line in order??! Go to his school!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

AJ Catanzaro has several instructional videos posted online.  I think he does a really good job of explaining what to do and WHY.  His videos on body position, cornering technique, and rutted corners are really good.

• Helpful 1

1 hour ago, Huskyboy92 said:

@BLSJDS thank you so much man, helped a lot! hes a great instructor 

Oh good - I'm so glad that helped!

I thought so too - really does a nice job breaking everything down into things I can understand ha ha.

If you have more then one track in your area see if any offer vet or amateur tracks. You can usually see recent layouts on insta or YouTube. It will give you an idea of the speed and crowdedness of the tracks. 

The first few trips you should be focusing on riding safely. Holding your line, riding with other people and getting passed safely. People will probably be a lot faster then you were expecting.

Get a plan together to go to the track and pull the trigger ASAP.

• Helpful 1

Posted (edited)

I think there are lots of good schools that are worth more than a book of vouchers for suspension revalving. What you learn at one will make every bike you will ever ride capable of going faster (and safer at speed) for the rest of your riding days. While going to a top rated pro will introduce you to things that top rated pros do, you may find you will learn more from someone who achieved a high level of success without developing an attitude, and were not overloaded with natural talent. Semics and Bailey fit the bill. Best communicator I ever saw was/is Mercedes Gonzales.  There are undoubtedly new schools that have filled in for those.

Gary and his Greeves schooled a lot of us in the day for an entry fee. ie, how did he pass me on a line I didn't even consider defending?

Edited by ossagp1
  • Helpful 1

5 hours ago, Huskyboy92 said:

@temporarily_locked thank you for the wise words friend. 

If it seems a little weird it’s because I thought I was responding to a different thread. Sorry about that. If you haven’t gotten to ride at a track yet then it is ok advice haha

• Like 1