I'm not sure if this is asked a lot, but I haven't found much on this.  How do I learn to crash/dismount the proper way?!  I have been riding for three years now, and I've picked it up quite quick (Not to brag, just from what other riders tell me).  That being said, I think I could and want to be learning faster.  I ride mainly enduro (technical/trails) and desert (so no mx atm), and while I ride often, I don't crash often.  I believe that is a good think for the faster stuff (i don't want to roach my body at an early age), but I think it is holding me back from progressing in the technical aspect.  I see videos of people trying (and failing) at some crazy stuff, and they usually seem to be able to jump off the bike w/o tearing their knees or spraining their ankles.  Is there a way to "practice" this?  I feel that once I figure this out I could progress my technical riding immensely because I will be able to push myself and try new things.  Thanks for any help you can give!

P.S. Haha is there a way to properly crash at speed?  That would be helpful too.  Cheers!

19 minutes ago, Fsxfisherman1 said:

I'm not sure if this is asked a lot, but I haven't found much on this.  How do I learn to crash/dismount the proper way?!  I have been riding for three years now, and I've picked it up quite quick (Not to brag, just from what other riders tell me).  That being said, I think I could and want to be learning faster.  I ride mainly enduro (technical/trails) and desert (so no mx atm), and while I ride often, I don't crash often.  I believe that is a good think for the faster stuff (i don't want to roach my body at an early age), but I think it is holding me back from progressing in the technical aspect.  I see videos of people trying (and failing) at some crazy stuff, and they usually seem to be able to jump off the bike w/o tearing their knees or spraining their ankles.  Is there a way to "practice" this?  I feel that once I figure this out I could progress my technical riding immensely because I will be able to push myself and try new things.  Thanks for any help you can give!

P.S. Haha is there a way to properly crash at speed?  That would be helpful too.  Cheers!

Proper  crashing technique usually requires improper riding techniques. Both require tons of practice to improve. Most good crashing techniques are instinctive and more of a reflex action. Usually best to trust your own survival instincts. Crashing usually happens quickly and unexpectedly and preparation is limited to minimizing the beating you are about to endure. Wear protective gear and use good sense when riding. High speed crashing injuries can be minimized by learning to tuck and roll when exiting motorcycle. Usually best to get away from your cartwheeling motorcycle when crashing from high speeds but some low side crashes can allow rider to hang on to bike and keep a leg and hands on bike to allow bike to absorb punishment from crash. No set rules for crashing. Very few pleasant crashes.....um no pleasant crashes actually. Most of us try to avoid crashing. Yeah...try to avoid crashing...crashing sucks....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Instincts - very few folks can react fast enough in a high speed scenario.  For slow speed stuff you can think through.... @Dirtstache 556 had the right idea, dump the bike before it lands on you or you on it, get away from it if you can.

Stay in good shape, work on flexibility and never let your guard down....don't ride scared, but ride conservatively.  Whenever I am hitting a sketchy section I always look for an out, where to jump, where to throw the bike, etc.  You don't wanna get into the midset of "I may crash", but you gotta give yourself some options.

Beyond that, it's going to happen, take your licks, get up, heal up and learn from your mistake :)

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Low-speed crashes are all about experience and knowing what is "savable." Also having strength helps too, a stronger person is less likely to get injured in a tip-over IMO. With experience, you start learning how to fix bad situations. What used to be a tip-over 10 years ago, is now just a minor mistake, as I know how to correct it. There are times that I know I'm not going to save it, so I just look for away out.

With high-speed crashes, there really isn't much advice I can give. With almost all of my true high-speed get-off's, I was just along for the ride. It happens too quick and the force of momentum is too great to really do much about it. Just last weekend, I took a bad trip through the whoops and went over the bars in 4th gear. Once the crash-sequence was initiated, there was nothing to be done to improve the situation. I landed head-first in the dirt. Doesn't look like any long term injuries, but do have a very sore neck, back, chest, and hands...also looks like I need a new helmet. I credit a high-level of physical fitness and dumb luck for saving me from serious injury.

• 3 weeks later...

Practice makes perfect. 

Just crash a lot and you will get good at it!

Don't try to save your bike. If you are going down protect yourself. Wear the best protective gear you can, practice rolling away rather then bouncing off the ground. Try not to hit trees or fall off cliffs. 

Practice slow technical stuff in a controlled area over and over. Get your falling practice out of the way here so you have less chance of falling on the trail.