Ford Shows Dealers Its Sub-$20,000 Small Pickup Coming Next Year

Looks like the Honda Ridgeline is going to get a competitor.  

The unibody compact pickup will slot in under the Ranger in the Ford lineup.
image.png

• Ford showed dealers the small, entry-level, unibody pickup it has been expected to be preparing.
  • The pickup is slated to go on sale in 2021 and will be priced starting under $20,000.
  • The Honda Ridgeline is the only other unibody pickup available on the market currently, and it starts at just over $35,000.

It was early last year that Ford first confirmed that a small pickup is destined to enter their lineup, a model intended to slot underneath the Ranger. In a meeting of dealers, Ford chief operating officer Jim Farley showed off the forthcoming pickup, revealing its unibody design and saying it will be priced starting under $20,000, Automotive News reports.

The yet-to-be-named pickup will go on sale in 2021, joining the EcoSport in the automaker’s entry-level lineup. Although Ford says that the vehicle will start under $20,000, we suspect that pricing doesn't include destination. The EcoSport, without destination charge, starts at an attractive $19,995, but add in the mandatory charge and that price jumps to $21,090.

The truck's unibody design would put it into a small group of vehicles. Currently, the Honda Ridgeline is the only unibody pickup available on the market, but Hyundai recently unveiled plans for a Santa Cruz unibody pickup slated to begin production in 2021. One dealer in attendance told Automotive News that the truck looked like the original Ranger.

• Like 3
  • Helpful 2

The truth is, unit body crucks (car + truck) are what many NEED but don't fit the image they want to portray.  As a daily driver they handle better, ride better and typically get better fuel mileage.  If Ford gives it a more masculine, trucky ? look and keeps the price as close to that 20k mark as possible, they'll likely sell well. Not everyone wants or needs 60k+ of 4X4 diesel truck that can tow the neighbor's house around the block with them in it. ? If they toss the turbo 4 from the current Ranger and keep the weight down, those 310ft/lbs of torques could make for a fun little truck.

• Like 9
  • Helpful 2
  • Haha 1

Nothing wrong with unibody.  Lighter weight is a big advantage.  People have been wheeling the crap out of XJ Cherokees for many years.  If you are worried about the unibody flexing and doors not working right you can always plate the unibody for strength, fairly common upgrade in XJs.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, BOAB said:

Nothing wrong with unibody.  Lighter weight is a big advantage.  People have been wheeling the crap out of XJ Cherokees for many years.  If you are worried about the unibody flexing and doors not working right you can always plate the unibody for strength, fairly common upgrade in XJs.

The XJ with wheels & tires looks macho regardless of being frameless. Most truck buyers want a more rugged, adventurous look. If Honda had done just that, I think the Ridgeline would have sold better. It's a great product in reality, but it's too close to the looks of the soccer mom suv for many. Or, maybe market research shows that i have no idea what I'm talking about. Not the first nor last time in my life. ;)  Interested to see what Ford's take looks like for reals.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ThumperTalk said:

The yet-to-be-named pickup will go on sale in 2021, joining the EcoSport in the automaker’s entry-level lineup. Although Ford says that the vehicle will start under $20,000, we suspect that pricing doesn't include destination. The EcoSport, without destination charge, starts at an attractive $19,995, but add in the mandatory charge and that price jumps to $21,090.

Good to see a "small" pickup about to enter the mix. The modern midsize pickups are now bigger than full size pickups from not too long ago. Sadly, that under 20k  price for the Ford is just a marketing ploy. It will be the base model with no options and not enough profit built in it for the dealers. So no dealers will be even interested in having one take up space on their lot. (Think a new Chevy Colorado Base model for the advertised $21,300).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ThumperTalk said:

Looks like the Honda Ridgeline is going to get a competitor.  

The unibody compact pickup will slot in under the Ranger in the Ford lineup.
image.png

• Ford showed dealers the small, entry-level, unibody pickup it has been expected to be preparing.
  • The pickup is slated to go on sale in 2021 and will be priced starting under $20,000.
  • The Honda Ridgeline is the only other unibody pickup available on the market currently, and it starts at just over $35,000.

It was early last year that Ford first confirmed that a small pickup is destined to enter their lineup, a model intended to slot underneath the Ranger. In a meeting of dealers, Ford chief operating officer Jim Farley showed off the forthcoming pickup, revealing its unibody design and saying it will be priced starting under $20,000, Automotive News reports.

The truck's unibody design would put it into a small group of vehicles. Currently, the Honda Ridgeline is the only unibody pickup available on the market, but Hyundai recently unveiled plans for a Santa Cruz unibody pickup slated to begin production in 2021. One dealer in attendance told Automotive News that the truck looked like the original Ranger.

The truck MUST be fun (that's the biggest BRA I've ever seen)!

• Haha 1

Ford is supposed to bring back the Bronco later this year. I am wondering if this truck will be a version of the new bronco. I personally would be interested in something like this if it could get around 30 mpg`s and was all wheel drive. At some point in a couple years i will have to replace the daily driver and it would be cool to have something like this. Just bought a 18 Colorado that i use on the weekends, but i need something better on gas to commute with and it would be nice if it had all wheel drive.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bryan Bosch said:

Not everyone wants or needs 60k+ of 4X4 diesel truck that can tow the neighbor's house around the block with them in it.

My beta (and RMZ) weigh as much as the neighborhood so I need a man truck! 

Edited by shrubitup
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Bryan Bosch said:

The truth is, unit body crucks (car + truck) are what many NEED but don't fit the image they want to portray.  As a daily driver they handle better, ride better and typically get better fuel mileage.  If Ford gives it a more masculine, trucky ? look and keeps the price as close to that 20k mark as possible, they'll likely sell well. Not everyone wants or needs 60k+ of 4X4 diesel truck that can tow the neighbor's house around the block with them in it. ? If they toss the turbo 4 from the current Ranger and keep the weight down, those 310ft/lbs of torques could make for a fun little truck.

I'm calling Bullshit, but at 16K not 60K.

I found a 99 G2 24 valve Dodge 4x4 with a gearbox last summer with 100K on it in perfect shape.

So I bought it, Iv'e never had a diesel.  I literally saw in a parking lot at the store called the guy and bought it. 

It's got a chip and some aftermarket clutch and yada yada and just lights up the tires at will.

In fun factor I put this thing at late generation Miata, I swear I crack up and pitch it sideways every time I see water. 

Everyone needs one of these things. 

• Like 2