ThumperTalk

Ford Shows Dealers Its Sub-$20,000 Small Pickup Coming Next Year

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, zig06 said:

Not that I'm trying to compensate for anything but I really do need a "truck" to haul my dirt bikes, even found one that matches up with my old RMZ:

image.png.953f09d6051a6b35e51f8ff4791a1fcf.png

Even got an RV that ups my real deep seeded image of myself:

image.png.8fdd274671bd9ca50cf610ef884362ef.png

But to be honest, this is probably all I really need - and it'll actually fit in my garage at night...

image.png.0d68b6baf7e97224faa6e8493bfc711c.png

I'd pay five dollars to watch someone load that Yammie. Those straps in that location are have me wondering also.

Edited by Piney Woods
  • Like 1

On 3/11/2020 at 6:24 PM, zig06 said:

Not that I'm trying to compensate for anything but I really do need a "truck" to haul my dirt bikes, even found one that matches up with my old RMZ:

Even got an RV that ups my real deep seeded image of myself:

But to be honest, this is probably all I really need - and it'll actually fit in my garage at night...

image.png.0d68b6baf7e97224faa6e8493bfc711c.png

You're going about this the wrong way, you just need a bigger garage. My long-bed, penis-compensation truck(at least that's what half of this sub call diesels) fits with plenty of room to spare. If I moved a few bikes around, I could even fit my little Tacoma in there.IMG_20200314_082806114.jpg.28f79e7056b77c2ee1e1cf20c19580f2.jpg

Save yourself some heartache, by staying away from that Intertrashional. I think those had the DT motors, which were better than what came in the later trucks, but they aren't cheap to maintain.

Edited by Sierra_rider
  • Like 1
  • Helpful 1

On 3/11/2020 at 4:32 PM, surfinpig said:

I smell a transit connect cut up into a pickup. 

it'd better have a better transmission.

When I was service writing for a Ford dealer, I'd get at least one per day with a shot trans.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Shawn_Mc said:

it'd better have a better transmission.

When I was service writing for a Ford dealer, I'd get at least one per day with a shot trans.

Big or little transit having rhe tranny issue?

3 minutes ago, Piney Woods said:

Big or little transit having rhe tranny issue?

Smaller ones. Our trans guy would take them apart find almost nothing wrong with the thing mechanically, swap some discs...reflash the computer AGAIN and out they'd go. I'd have to figure they've figured it out by now, but they were junk. The window's used to pop out of them too.

I quit before the bigger ones had come into service. So, no experience there.

• Like 1

My Ram Ecodiesel would like to join to discussion.  V6 turbo diesel that gets me 23 mpg mixed, 28 mpg highway in a full size truck. 

2 hours ago, dangerzone002 said:

My Ram Ecodiesel would like to join to discussion.  V6 turbo diesel that gets me 23 mpg mixed, 28 mpg highway in a full size truck. 

It's not always about the mileage with the mid-size pickups...my Tacoma gets about same mileage as my diesel 2500 Dodge. However, the Dodge is a land-yacht and a PITA to park if I go into town. Even the parking spaces at the local hardware store are designed for full size pick-ups.

People that live in the city or the 'burbs, might not even have a garage big enough to park a full-size inside.

Another reason for me getting the Taco in addition to my 2500, is I live in the mountains and needed a decent pickup for the snow. Lighter is better in deep snow, I got almost a couple feet on my 100 yard long driveway right now. My 2500 isn't moving until it melts or I build up the motivation to clear it. 

Nowdays, 95% of my driving is done in the Taco. I save my big truck for towing/hauling or camping.

Edited by Sierra_rider
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sierra_rider said:

It's not always about the mileage with the mid-size pickups...my Tacoma gets about same mileage as my diesel 2500 Dodge. However, the Dodge is a land-yacht and a PITA to park if I go into town. Even the parking spaces at the local hardware store are designed for full size pick-ups.

People that live in the city or the 'burbs, might not even have a garage big enough to park a full-size inside.

Another reason for me getting the Taco in addition to my 2500, is I live in the mountains and needed a decent pickup for the snow. Lighter is better in deep snow, I got almost a couple feet on my 100 yard long driveway right now. My 2500 isn't moving until it melts or I build up the motivation to clear it. 

Nowdays, 95% of my driving is done in the Taco. I save my big truck for towing/hauling or camping.

Yep... I don't park outside. The FL sun & heat kills cars too soon. A few years of that here and your clear is getting checked, rubber trim warped and plastics greying. Quad cab/5' box as the biggest I can fit in the garage w/o being literally wall to door. Even mid size trucks aren't short these days. I'm getting 18.4 in the city and 22ish on the highway. I've gotten 24, but that was babying it.

• Like 1

Have never understood anyone building a home in the suburbs with a too small garage, ridiculous! I realize it is a crazy concept but the dimensions are totally flexible regarding every room. And someone who never parks outside must never go anywhere.

2 hours ago, Piney Woods said:

Have never understood anyone building a home in the suburbs with a too small garage, ridiculous! I realize it is a crazy concept but the dimensions are totally flexible regarding every room. And someone who never parks outside must never go anywhere.

My garage/workspace is 1,050 square feet. Between one of the pickups, bikes, work benches, tool boxes, and free-standing tools, I wouldn't want a smaller space. As it stands right now, I'm considering building a much bigger shop in the future. Ideally, about twice the footprint, with a ceiling tall enough to fit a vehicle lift.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Piney Woods said:

And someone who never parks outside must never go anywhere.

Not sure about your's, but my home came with garage doors that go up and down. And, at the push of a button. Pretty  sweet, huh! 🤪 

Why must you park outside in order to go somewhere? Sorta missing ya there bud.

• Like 2

You didn't make uit clear you were only speaking of when you were at your home. Since most folks spend as much time away from their home as there for work, school etc it kinda makes a difference in the message,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,bud..

Posted (edited)

I've got a 95 Isuzu pickup.  I've had bikes as big as a Transalp in it. It will haul 2 bikes with the rear wheels on the gate. We live in suburbia and sometimes take it to the garden center or whatever. I love the low bed height. It's simple to drive in in town traffic. It's really all the truck we need.   A lot of people need a truck with an open bed for hauling trash or leave or a motorcycle but we really don't need a work truck or a 4 wheeler. This truck with the box out will haul a couch or fridge no problem. I don't tow anything so I don't need big power.  We fill the truck with leaves, sticks or furniture, not bricks or iron pipes. 

Most families are two car families now.  This is our second vehicle. It's mostly an in town runabout.  I don't need massive highway cruising power. It's easy to handle in parking lots or in crowded situations and simple to park in a normal car space. My wife loves to drive it. In fact I love that it's 2 wd.  That means a low lift gate so it's so much easier than loading similar trucks with high beds. Maybe you need 4wd 1% of the time, but that low bed comes in handy a lot. I don't have to lift the shopping over my head to put in in the truck. It's almost an El Camino pretending to be a truck.

I feel this kind of truck is forgotten but it's 100% of the truck we need and none of the truck we don't.  We like it so much that we had the bed taken off and the bottom sandblasted, any rust repaired and painted in 2 part epoxy. So, it'll never rust. This is the last Japanese built truck that was sold under the Luv name by Chevy and it share parts with some Honda cars too because Isuzu was a supplier to Honda having built their Gen1 minivan. 

Really, for most people this is the size truck that'll do the trick.  In the coming economy I think people are going to be a lot more careful about big ticket items.  I think new cheap Ford truck is going to a surprise hit. 

20190415_110459.jpg

Edited by Adam N.
  • Like 1
  • Helpful 1

On 3/15/2020 at 4:54 PM, AZSumo48 said:

I wonder if it will spark any other  vintage (related) trends? 

7344F7A5-D05E-41B3-944C-C881943F8CA0.jpeg

Hell man, I got a nice "mullet" growing, since there is nobody who can cut it now, I should be sporting a really killer one soon!image.png.c63c29842dddd5f891b4968b3cb1a46e.pngimage.png.db77f4f54047ef129ea6cadd59fcedfd.png

55 minutes ago, Adam N. said:

I've got a 95 Isuzu pickup.  I've had bikes as big as a Transalp in it. It will haul 2 bikes with the rear wheels on the gate. We live in suburbia and sometimes take it to the garden center or whatever. I love the low bed height. It's simple to drive in in town traffic. It's really all the truck we need.   A lot of people need a truck with an open bed for hauling trash or leave or a motorcycle but we really don't need a work truck or a 4 wheeler. This truck with the box out will haul a couch or fridge no problem. I don't tow anything so I don't need big power.  We fill the truck with leaves, sticks or furniture, not bricks or iron pipes. 

Most families are two car families now.  This is our second vehicle. It's mostly an in town runabout.  I don't need massive highway cruising power. It's easy to handle in parking lots or in crowded situations and simple to park in a normal car space. My wife loves to drive it. In fact I love that it's 2 wd.  That means a low lift gate so it's so much easier than loading similar trucks with high beds. Maybe you need 4wd 1% of the time, but that low bed comes in handy a lot. I don't have to lift the shopping over my head to put in in the truck. It's almost an El Camino pretending to be a truck.

I feel this kind of truck is forgotten but it's 100% of the truck we need and none of the truck we don't.  We like it so much that we had the bed taken off and the bottom sandblasted, any rust repaired and painted in 2 part epoxy. So, it'll never rust. This is the last Japanese built truck that was sold under the Luv name by Chevy and it share parts with some Honda cars too because Isuzu was a supplier to Honda having built their Gen1 minivan. 

Really, for most people this is the size truck that'll do the trick.  In the coming economy I think people are going to be a lot more careful about big ticket items.  I think new cheap Ford truck is going to a surprise hit. 

20190415_110459.jpg

Mini trucks? Hell Chevy had some killer models back in the day, I think the new Chevy Colorado is bad to the bone!🤘image.png.e887b20c4bada961b37296ccfa9f9b1c.pngimage.png.96bddf52769f0efa8221920b43e55f21.pngimage.png.9cafd6ff9542dd6a5fa3474b03a9f63f.pngimage.png.cc2b6b46f152e137423ca1dd46d0a3bd.png

23 minutes ago, M E T A L A C I D said:

Mini trucks? Hell Chevy had some killer models back in the day, image.png.cc2b6b46f152e137423ca1dd46d0a3bd.png

Well, I like a low bed hight but that's a little too low.  Still, imagine how short a ramp you could use to load your KTM into that thing. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Adam N. said:

Well, I like a low bed hight but that's a little too low.  Still, imagine how short a ramp you could use to load your KTM into that thing. 

Yeuppers, Bubba, those are show trucks, they have air bags for shox, They look bad to the bone slammed in the weeds, but they usually press a button to raise em up for highway driving...🤠

IDGAF what others think about my truck. When my 13 year old Nissan dies; the Honda Ridgeline will be its replacement. 
Solid choice. Drive great, good mileage (24.3 mpg over the past 40k with many stretches at 80 mph) awd traction modes are very effective. Superb resale value.20191120_223108.jpg
  • Like 3