RWW enduro

Trail rider wanting to learn MX

Hey guys, always had an interest in MX, nothing crazy though but your typical track jumps and stuff. Been riding for 1 year, so I have the basics down but I have never been to an MX course. I have no idea how to start and yet alone last thing I want to do is get seriously injured. 

The fact I have no idea how to jump kind of worries me about going to the tracks. WHen learning how to jump, do you gradually increase your distance? or its more of a full send and wish yourself luck? and more specifically how do you jump? just stay rolled on the throttle? blip the throttle? even heard people saying use brakes in the air which will bring the front or rear down

You learn to crawl before you learn to walk. You walk before you run. Start slowly and practice. Most riders start jumping practice with smaller bumps and jumps until they acclimate themselves with higher altitudes until they sensation condition themselves. Too many riders worry about how they look and appear to other riders. We all start out as rookies and fumble around before we become proficient. The longer you try to avoid looking like a rookie the longer you remain a rookie. Nobody makes it to the top without rolling around at the bottom for awhile. Good luck. Play safe.😃

• Like 2

Just go slow at first get an inch in the air then 2 then a foot. If u go nose down rev it and if u go nose up hit the rear brake. Hitting the brake in the air is harder to get used to so go slow at first so u dont have to.dont touch the front brake and if u hit the rear brake in the air make sure the clutch is in. Dont let off the throttle right before the jump or u will nose down. I usually do a little blip at the lip but a steady throttle is better. Just start slow,nobody is paying attention to u believe it or not. Dont be that noob dumass who leaves in an ambulance because u were trying to just send it and show off. That's when ppl notice you're a noob. Also hold your line and don't cross jump. Just have fun, jumping is fun and itll come to u, no need to rush it

great thanks guys! pretty weird holding brakes in the air, but like everything else sure it will come. I got a few mx tracks in mind. I have a buddy I wanted to go with, but got injured sadly. So for the most part, just keep a constant throttle?

10 minutes ago, RWW enduro said:

great thanks guys! pretty weird holding brakes in the air, but like everything else sure it will come. I got a few mx tracks in mind. I have a buddy I wanted to go with, but got injured sadly. So for the most part, just keep a constant throttle?

Ummm. Pretty weird and painful HOLDING brakes in the air.....you would be tapping brake or tickling it in the air. Holding brake could end badly. Spend more time practicing and don't worry about techniques or technical aspects of flight until you're off the ground. Practice jumping small stuff until you're off the ground for more than a few seconds. You will figure out the whole brake tap or panic rev while airborne once you gain a bit of altitude

1 minute ago, everlastneverfast said:

Ummm. Pretty weird and painful HOLDING brakes in the air.....you would be tapping brake or tickling it in the air. Holding brake could end badly. Spend more time practicing and don't worry about techniques or technical aspects of flight until you're off the ground. Practice jumping small stuff until you're off the ground for more than a few seconds. You will figure out the whole brake tap or panic rev while airborne once you gain a bit of altitude

great advice I appreciate it!! I will do just that.

Also, is that the reason I see people rev bombing in mid air? 

17 minutes ago, RWW enduro said:

great advice I appreciate it!! I will do just that.

Also, is that the reason I see people rev bombing in mid air? 

Yep. Some call it panic rev. A deliberate action to spin rear wheel to allow rotation to help adjust attitude of bike while airborne. Tapping rear brake drops front end. Panic rev tries to keep front end from dropping. Not always pretty but better than the alternative......ouch!!

• Like 1

you have more then one track in your area see if any offer vet or amateur tracks. You can usually see recent layouts on insta or YouTube. It will give you an idea of the speed and crowdedness of the tracks. 

The first few trips you should be focusing on riding safely. Holding your line, riding with other people and getting passed safely. People will probably be a lot faster then you were expecting.

Get a plan together to go to the track and pull the trigger ASAP.

• Like 1

Look up MX Factory on youtube. That channel is a gold mine for people just starting out on MX. They give some really good starting tips on starting out to jump, or MX in general. My rule of thumb is, if I dont KNOW I can make it safely, I dont even try. Last ditch efforts are usually dangerous.

Maybe even the first time you go the track, dont even jump anything. Just roll the jumps and get a feel for everything your first day. Like said above, maybe see if there is a vet/beginner track with melow table tops and small singles. The first 8 times I went to my local track, I was only on that track. Slowly building up technique and riding next to people. Mind you previously I only rode double wide trails and single track for years. Flying through the air from a jump is far different feeling than just catching a little air on a trail.

Know your limits and dont let your ego get the best of you. Been there done that. Also, make sure your bike is in proper condition for jumping let alone motocross.

• Helpful 1

Before worrying about any jumps or cornering skills, practice holding your line and being in total control of the bike

even if that means riding at a slower pace that you had initially thought to begin at.

It can be intimidating as faster riders are coming up behind you but don't constantly look over your shoulder as you anticipate them passing you,

concentrate on being 'predictable' to them (that you won't suddenly cut across the track in front of them) and they will make a clean / safe pass.

• Like 1

There are important techniques which will help you gain control. With this information firmly in your mind, your practice sessions will be much safer and more fun. Gary Semics videos aren’t expensive, and really helped me a lot. They are way less expensive than crashes and injuries. You have a great opportunity to learn correct techniques quickly, which will become engrained in your DNA. Poor techniques will, unfortunately also become engrained. Only perfect practice makes perfect. 

• Like 1
  • Helpful 2

Posted (edited)

I ride both trail and MX and while many consider motocross to be 'more dangerous' because of the jumps,

I like to remember them that I've had more close calls on the trail with on-coming ATV's and SxS 

and it's 'safer' to get hurt at a track were help is always nearby and easily accessible by ambulance than out in the middle of nowhere on the trail.

Depending on the soil type, it's also less likely to hurt falling on a groomed loamy / sandy MX tracks than on rocks or against trees.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

Its only as dangerous as you make it. Being reckless and naive is quick to end up hurt. Take it slow and be methodical about what you are doing. Ive also have had really close calls on trails and even a concussion where I didnt feel like I couldnt ride the bike back, luckily I was at my home trail and someone just went and got the quad and picked me up.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, motrock93b said:

There are important techniques which will help you gain control. With this information firmly in your mind, your practice sessions will be much safer and more fun. Gary Semics videos aren’t expensive, and really helped me a lot. They are way less expensive than crashes and injuries. You have a great opportunity to learn correct techniques quickly, which will become engrained in your DNA. Poor techniques will, unfortunately also become engrained. Only perfect practice makes perfect. 

appreciate it buddy. ill take a look at his videos. Might be a while before hitting the MX tracks sadly

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RWW enduro said:

appreciate it buddy. ill take a look at his videos. Might be a while before hitting the MX tracks sadly

Yes. And now is the perfect opportunity to spend time with those videos instead of going nuts. You can even hop on your bike in the garage and “practice” some of the techniques. It’s fun! 

12 minutes ago, motrock93b said:

Yes. And now is the perfect opportunity to spend time with those videos instead of going nuts. You can even hop on your bike in the garage and “practice” some of the techniques. It’s fun! 

Just don't get caught doing it. :ride:

I am serious by the way on the medical. Me broken ankles and toes on seperate crashes, both on jumps, one comitting to a 3rd gear pinned double when at the last second the guys in front of me who were doing the jump in prior laps decided not to when it was too late for me to abort. younger son broken wrist, older son broken wrist and humerus in seperate get offs, all involving jumps.

It's mighty fun though.

On 3/11/2020 at 7:24 AM, RWW enduro said:

Hey guys, always had an interest in MX, nothing crazy though but your typical track jumps and stuff. Been riding for 1 year, so I have the basics down but I have never been to an MX course. I have no idea how to start and yet alone last thing I want to do is get seriously injured. 

The fact I have no idea how to jump kind of worries me about going to the tracks. WHen learning how to jump, do you gradually increase your distance? or its more of a full send and wish yourself luck? and more specifically how do you jump? just stay rolled on the throttle? blip the throttle? even heard people saying use brakes in the air which will bring the front or rear down

Head banging! Hell to the yeah! Step 1. find a track, 2. pay fee, sign paper work, so you wont sue if you break your bones. 3. make sure your bike is prepped any you know the track..Riding practice the day before helps. 4. find a spot at the gate if you are in beginner class, they do have qualifiers, so you may be assigned a gate slot. 5. Get ready to kick ass, rev up that engine, watch the gate dropping, make sure you in gear before the gate drop. 6. gate drops, haul ass, and bang bars, avoid wing nuts. get some air, haul ass, crash, pick it up, haul ass some more. Watch the flags, you should know the colors by now. 7. White flag? 1 mo' lap, bang some more bars, make sure you are passing slower dudes, 8. catch the checkers, do a crossup at the flag, bam, you done! Go to your truck, put your gear up, and slap on some Ozzy! 🤪 Headbanger!

CCrashAndBurn1986m09SeptemberPage01Cover.jpg

s1200_Tuf_Kawa_250_88.jpg

40 minutes ago, M E T A L A C I D said:

Head banging! Hell to the yeah! Step 1. find a track, 2. pay fee, sign paper work, so you wont sue if you break your bones. 3. make sure your bike is prepped any you know the track..Riding practice the day before helps. 4. find a spot at the gate if you are in beginner class, they do have qualifiers, so you may be assigned a gate slot. 5. Get ready to kick ass, rev up that engine, watch the gate dropping, make sure you in gear before the gate drop. 6. gate drops, haul ass, and bang bars, avoid wing nuts. get some air, haul ass, crash, pick it up, haul ass some more. Watch the flags, you should know the colors by now. 7. White flag? 1 mo' lap, bang some more bars, make sure you are passing slower dudes, 8. catch the checkers, do a crossup at the flag, bam, you done! Go to your truck, put your gear up, and slap on some Ozzy! 🤪 Headbanger!

CCrashAndBurn1986m09SeptemberPage01Cover.jpg

s1200_Tuf_Kawa_250_88.jpg

Ha ha sounds like fun to me!! Im aware of the dangers and no stranger to broken bones from a recent crash and ex skateboarding; although bills do suck. Cant wait to try it out though!

• Like 1