making it into a harescarmble dirt bike?!

Has anyone converted a KXF or RMZ into a offroad machine? Looking for a 250 four stroke to race next year and would like all the info of converting this bike into a offroad harescramble machine. How does it work in the woods and so fourth would be great to hear because I hear a lot of good things about this bike so let hear it men!

I put an 18" rear wheel on and the Rekluse auto clutch. The bike shines in the woods because it turns so well, is very nimble and has super smoothe power delivery. The clutch is a must because the bike is easily stalled at slow speeds and can be a bear to crank when hot. Back way off of the dampening adjustments for roots and the suspension is fine stock.

I put handguards, skidplate and an

o-ring chain on my green machine and went racing. The stock tank has a range of over 40 miles , so a big tank is not a must-have item. You might want to add 3 teeth on the back sprocket for really tight going, but the stock gearing has worked for me. The only other thing I would do is chuck the stock tires and get some good intermediate rubber on the bike. the stock tires are great for hardpack, but that is all they are good for. Try a Michelin M12 or Dunlop D756 or even a Maxxis C6001. I have not had any problems racing cross-country with my limon, good luck with yours

efforts ?

I raced mine recently in a h/s for the 1st time,only mods are bars and Boyesen water pump cover,it was in the low 90"s with high humidity.Bike was flawless,easy to manuever in the woods and fun wide open in the fields.One complaint though,I stalled a couple of times and finding neutral can be a little tough.My bike just wont start in gear.

I have a half a season on my RMZ and the suspension had to be revalved to get anywhere near where it would work for me. (185 lb A rider). I really can't see the need in changing to the 18 inch wheel, unless you want to spend money. You would be better off using the money on a steering dampner. The front end is easily deflected at any speed. It is great in tight woods, its very nimble and turns and tracks well. I don't get the push I had on the YZF in tigh turns. As far as gearing I would like to try a smaller sprocket on the rear, maybe 2 teeth, since I would like to have a bit more top end.

As far as gas mileage, there is absolutely no way I can get 40 miles out of the stock tank. Be warned a quick fill will not work on a stock tank, the hole is too small. So either plan on pitting or buy a larger tank.

It is a better bike than I am a rider. Its capable of way better finishes than I am. I look forward to seeing my boy move up from mini next year and ride it.

Ive raced mine in a couple hare scrambles...with no mods except Renthall bars and a 1.6 rad cap. No problems at all, it worked great, even with the stock tires before I replaced them ? -Hammy

4 races this year. I did a re-valve on the suspension, and hand guards. I really should have a skid plate but haven't done it yet. I ride in really tight stuff and maybe one tooth more on the rear would be better. Other than that this bike rocks for off-road pretty much stock. ?

I race the 0-300 4stroke B classs in the GNCC's and am curently in 2nd place with one win, and alot of 2nds. (there hasent been the same winner in a round yet in my class) But here is what is done to my bike. Renthal cr-hi bend bars, and EE hand guards with Cycra hand shiels, Works connection AOF clutch perch with hot start, WER steering damper, IMS dry break tank, FCR suspension valved for the GNCC's and my weight, E-Line pipe guard, 18 inch rear wheel, Excel front and rear, with S-12's front and rear. (I like the 18 becaseu it gives you more side wall, and that means a less chance of pinch flats, and I also think it makes my bike a little more plush.) I like the stock gearing and the stock pipe also, I have fastway bar cone spacers inplace of the rubber mounts on the bars, and i run renthal half waffle grips, Thats about it, and a twin air air filter.......BIke is great in thwe woods.

I race cross country / hare scrambles in Texas, and the bike is great for offroad. I just put a 1.6 radiator cap on it, hand guards and an o-ring chain and it was really good. But, had Jeff at Trak Control Dynamics (www.trakcontrol.com) throw a revalve on the suspension just for a little help in the rocks and tree roots since I'm only 150 lbs. Most people would probably be okay just backing of the compression clickers.

Other than that the bike is great for cross country. Really stable at speed, and handles great in the tight stuff. Good smooth power, but still strong enough to keep things exciting. And a great contingency program make the deal all the sweeter.

The heat issue is the only potential sticking point if you race in hot climates, or you run into serious bottlenecks where you have to sit for long periods of time. But so far, I'm having no big issues with this. It's just something to think about.

And just for reference, my last two bikes were modified '01 and '03 WR250Fs. I think this is a fantastic bike for offroad with very few mods.

~Tex ?