domcassar

trouble with standing up on the pegs

hey guys, I've been having some trouble getting comfortable standing up on the pegs and shifting and braking/using any of the controls while standing up. always feels really goofy whenever i try to shift or use the rear brake or whenever i'm on the power. i ride a ktm 125sx.
any tips would be much appreciated, cheers

Are your controls set up in the right position? Ideally you want your shift/brake levers level or just a little higher so you can get your boot under them. Dont ride on your heal, you can hit either of those controls unintentionally.

Look into improving your basic attack position. Light grip on the bars, being pushed through your feet rather then pulled through your hands. Head down and forward.

• Like 1

On 3/14/2020 at 12:19 PM, Lahms said:

Are your controls set up in the right position? Ideally you want your shift/brake levers level or just a little higher so you can get your boot under them. Dont ride on your heal, you can hit either of those controls unintentionally.

i pretty much haven't touched my shifter or brake lever. they are level with the pegs i think. i do ride on the balls of my feet though 

Look at your boot soles and it will tell you where your feet are on the pegs. I am seldom on the rear brske unless I am well towards the back of the bike. Then it is pretty easy. Rear wheels lock more easily when your weight is forward. 

Hardly anyone does it, but if you want to improve quickly get to a riding school. Way better than getting your suspension tuned if you ask me. If you can't do that, get videos from a good school, watch them and use video to record your own riding and do some comparing.

Lastly, you can improve your balance by doing more every day tasks standing on one foot. Hopping around that way helps even more.

😎

3 minutes ago, ossagp1 said:

Look at your boot soles and it will tell you where your feet are on the pegs. I am seldom on the rear brske unless I am well towards the back of the bike. Then it is pretty easy. Rear wheels lock more easily when your weight is forward. 

Hardly anyone does it, but if you want to improve quickly get to a riding school. Way better than getting your suspension tuned if you ask me. If you can't do that, get videos from a good school, watch them and use video to record your own riding and do some comparing.

Lastly, you can improve your balance by doing more every day tasks standing on one foot. Hopping around that way helps even more.

😎

yeah i put my name down for a coaching day at a local mx club. just wanna get some practice in where i can before the coaching. haven't really payed any attention to the boot wear though. will have a look when i get up to where i ride. i do do slow figure 8s sometimes standning to work on balance

• Helpful 1

14 hours ago, domcassar said:

yeah i put my name down for a coaching day at a local mx club. just wanna get some practice in where i can before the coaching. haven't really payed any attention to the boot wear though. will have a look when i get up to where i ride. i do do slow figure 8s sometimes standning to work on balance

Keep doing figure 8's! Each time you go out fo them for three minutes. Do them hard, sliding and driving into them until you start your sweat. Varied terrain. One gear, then others you can shift between turns. 

Ask the track if they are going to sponsor s hooks taught by pros etc. They can cost several hundred dollars, but like I said, so much better than anything else you can buy, it makes you faster and safer going fast no matter what bike you are on, forever.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, ossagp1 said:

Keep doing figure 8's! Each time you go out fo them for three minutes. Do them hard, sliding and driving into them until you start your sweat. Varied terrain. One gear, then others you can shift between turns. 

Ask the track if they are going to sponsor s hooks taught by pros etc. They can cost several hundred dollars, but like I said, so much better than anything else you can buy, it makes you faster and safer going fast no matter what bike you are on, forever.

What’s S hooks? Only S hooks I’ve heard of is the ones I tie my bike down with

but yeah everytime I head out I do around 5 mins of practice on the figure 8’s. Not comfortable on the bike to be sliding into the corner yet but gotta start somewhere I  guess. Usually just stay in second because and use the clutch out the corner because it’s dry as a bone where I’ve been riding and the front wheel just likes to slip out whenever it likes. rain soon though so gonna get some rut practice in as well. Also I do do quite slow figure 8s standing too just when I’m finishing up my ride.

Edited by domcassar

That should read "schools".  Do the figure 8's at a speed you can get the motions down well with. As with anything, build speed as confidence is built. Respect it. Find the edge, and move it a little at a time. Few of us remember how we did that when we progressed from a simple step, turned it into many, and then a run, then a hurdle etc. You get to live all that out again.

2 hours ago, ossagp1 said:

That should read "schools".  Do the figure 8's at a speed you can get the motions down well with. As with anything, build speed as confidence is built. Respect it. Find the edge, and move it a little at a time. Few of us remember how we did that when we progressed from a simple step, turned it into many, and then a run, then a hurdle etc. You get to live all that out again.

I believe that it is a pro that runs the coaching at the club. But if its just another experienced rider, i'll still do it but I will also think about getting some 1 on 1 coaching from a pro.

I wasn't talking about a "local" pro. Get one of the video courses from someone like Gary Semics or Gary Bailey. If you can find ones from Mercedes Gonzales. If you can watch those before you go, you will have a better idea of what you are getting. Gonzales can be very elementary.  Anyway, it will get you in the frame of mind. Anyway, if you are getting the coaching for under 100 dollars, it isn't what I am talking about. Which isn't to say it won't be worth doing.

If you aren't video'ing yourself, you really won't know how well you are applying what you have been told. 

• Helpful 1

7 minutes ago, ossagp1 said:

I wasn't talking about a "local" pro. Get one of the video courses from someone like Gary Semics or Gary Bailey. If you can find ones from Mercedes Gonzales. If you can watch those before you go, you will have a better idea of what you are getting. Gonzales can be very elementary.  Anyway, it will get you in the frame of mind. Anyway, if you are getting the coaching for under 100 dollars, it isn't what I am talking about. Which isn't to say it won't be worth doing.

If you aren't video'ing yourself, you really won't know how well you are applying what you have been told. 

never video'ed my riding before will do that when i go out next. gonna have a look at the gary semics vids too. the coaching im looking at is from an ex national motocross and supercross racer it costs like 150+ for normal class and one on one is like 350-400 AUD.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SlowDinoDog said:

I used the Gary Semics "Body Positions and Movements" DVD and it included lever and pedal set up suggestions too. 👍

It is one of the best ones. A big part of the reason I suggested videoing yourself and comparing. You start out wondering who is in your gear. 

It hits you somewhere along the way that one of the biggest things about body position(ing) is first getting into that one that makes puts you into a no effort balance, and be able to return to that position after reacting to whatever is on the track, and do all that in the smoothest (take that to mean natural and fast) way possible (take that to mean requiring the least physical effort). The really fast people use the reaction of the bike to help them back to the race position whenever it is there. Recognizing it comes quicker to some, some never know that and fight it forever. All happens a dozen times a second it seems.

• Like 1