Sign in to follow this  

whats the best chain lube???

I began using white lithium grease after a friend suggested it. He's got a klr 650 with 39000 miles, and it's all he uses. I like it because it sprays thru the chain well and it stays on like super glue. It also stays slick feeling and doesn't build up like "chain wax". Best of all it's 3.00 at any parts store, so you can use all you like. :thumbsup: So far, no down side that I can see, anybody know of one?

I think lithium grease is what comes on new chains.

I got almost 15,000 out of stock chain after reaching the last adjustment, once I got it off I could feel the pins were worn, the links had forward and back motion. The stock chain is rated at 7500lb strength.

Rk has an offroad chromoly chain non oring rated at 8400lb. I'm wondering if this chain was soaked and cleaned in heavy oil weekly , it would outlast the stock oring.

Most are going to the colorful siderwinders, I was shocked they're rated about 300lb less than the stock chain.

The s model has a steel rear, I thought it was aluminum, I never saw anyone mention it, and wouldn't have bought another, as it's wear was virtually none, after getting it off and sizing it up to a new one.

The CS sprocket on the other hand was pretty worn at a little less than 15,000

Here's a twist. I saw a post where the guy said that on his O-ring he only used silicone spray while his friend used some o-ring lub. When they torn the chains down after plenty of use they both had the same amount of wear and grease still in the pins. Maybe those little o-rings really do keep the grease in and grim out.

Silkolene synthetic race lube...clear, and not sticky once dry.

a note on your chain/sprocket wear: Sprockets wear because of the chain stretching and not aligning with the teeth of the sprocket. That's why a new chain/sprocket combo seem to last a long time and the second/third sprockets go a lot faster...

The chain wears mainly because of cordial loading caused by turning the tight corner on the countersprocket... the smaller your front sprocket, the faster your chain wears because it is experiencing gigantic g-loads...ever hung your head out while someone pushed you on the merry-go-round in the park?! you can get the same ratio by using a larger rear sprocket and a larger front, and your chain/sprockets will last longer. Another approach is Sidewinder racings Ti-Moly chain/sprocket series that are rated at 14,000lbs and are guaranteed not to stretch for life... food for thought! :thinking:Andrew