What to look for when buying a two stroke

So I am in the market for a yz85 dirt bike. I am looking to buy a used one and I don’t know what to look for or to stay away from with these bikes. I am completely new to two strokes so I don’t know how to tell if it is running well or any signs of damage on the bike. Any info or tips on the buying process would be appreciated. 👍

You cant have xray vision so you never really know the condition of the engine . Those little bikes get rode hard at high RPM's so if the seller is one to keep good records and have a solid maintenance plan it does makes me more confident in the machine I'm looking at . I also look and the way a guy carries himself and condition of his shop or garage and other vehicles.  A lot of bikes like that wont have an hour meter so you have too look for signs of neglect . Worn sprockets, bald tires, rust, crappy plastics crooked sub frames, filthy air filter all need to be thoroughly inspected . Dont get excited and buy the first bike you see . I know I am missing a lot of things to look for and hopefully someone else chimes in . If you can bring your friend or family member that is the most knowledgeable about dirtbikes with you it would be a big help  .    GOOD LUCK !!! 

• Helpful 1

2 hours ago, 510thumpstar said:

You cant have xray vision so you never really know the condition of the engine . Those little bikes get rode hard at high RPM's so if the seller is one to keep good records and have a solid maintenance plan it does makes me more confident in the machine I'm looking at . I also look and the way a guy carries himself and condition of his shop or garage and other vehicles.  A lot of bikes like that wont have an hour meter so you have too look for signs of neglect . Worn sprockets, bald tires, rust, crappy plastics crooked sub frames, filthy air filter all need to be thoroughly inspected . Dont get excited and buy the first bike you see . I know I am missing a lot of things to look for and hopefully someone else chimes in . If you can bring your friend or family member that is the most knowledgeable about dirtbikes with you it would be a big help  .    GOOD LUCK !!! 

agreed - but you can hear piston slap pretty easily on those, and look for worn foot pegs sloped down. Frames break where tubes are welded to neck - look for cracks there. When those bikes start to wear out seems everything goes...just saying. When we ran Kawis one year was all we got out of them.

X has a good plan. They do get ridden hard and neglected. Look for a straight frame, forks, and wheels. You can do a cylinder, crankshaft, piston, bearings, seals, gaskets and all the tools to do the work easily for under 800. I bought the two we have here for 200 each with bad crankshafts. They haven't. Changed in over 15 years. 

The bent pegs typically tell me a larger person even an adult has beaten it.

Finding a big wheel version makes it disproportionately more expensive.