Posted (edited)

Rotary disc valve induction, so this just draws filtered air out of a side case. You can see the TPS mounted on the end. This inlet valve offers best intake of all, when its open its wide open with a nice bell mouth for the air induction. The good thing about disc valve induction is when the disc is open there is no restriction, all the way into the crankcase, my favorite. 

On this particular engine I run a sliding GIB in the rotary valve housing, on the shut side. This changes the valve shut timing with revs, on the fly via an R1 servo, run from the LINK ECU under the seat via push pull cables. When the engine is above 6000 rpm this GIB is fully retracted. This makes for a nice wide power delivery, RWH, 40 at 6000, 45 at 8200, 40 again at 9000, all over at 9200. And a nice straight line from idle to 6000 rpm. This is a great engine. Runs E85 through a pair of Bosch injectors into the crank case, discharging into the transfer catchments. My original TPI.  

IMG_0522.JPG

IMG_0523.JPG

IMG_0380.JPG

IMG_0381.JPG

IMG_0383.JPG

Edited by uniflow
  • Like 2

You can see the side intake here, I like riding this old beast. No one has a clue whats inside.

IMG_8817.JPG

• Like 3

Still a lot more machining to be done but cases are bolted together with hollow dowels for alignment. Unfortunatly I don't have the bearings to assemble the gearbox and they will be four weeks away. Ill get on to the cylinder patternmaking shortly. 

Ive got real work in the mean time so it might be a week or so till I'm back on here with updates. 

20200331_133212.jpg

• Like 2

Crank case top machined, this case will feed three of the six transfer ports. These three transfers will be feed from the rotary valve side so the rest of the transfer cavity will be blocked off ( cases were for something else originally ) the other three transfers will be feed from the exhaust crank case, at the top of the engine. Long transgers unfortunatly but I have a plan to mitigate this. 

20200414_103942.jpg

• Like 1

The beginning of the cylinder pattern. A little unusual, inlet ports at one end of the cylinder, exhaust at the other. 

20200417_102336.jpg

• Like 2

I assume you guys want me to carry on showing this project here? I've had a fairly rough time with some of the   'characters' on TT. I sometimes wonder I might be on the wrong forum. I should just learn to keep my nose out of other threads perhaps, seeing as I've got nothing worthwhile to say😀.

If nothing else Id like to show how easy it is to make your own stuff, patterns and casting. I find pattern making therapeutic, good for times like these.😆.

• Like 11

5 hours ago, uniflow said:

I assume you guys want me to carry on showing this project here? I've had a fairly rough time with some of the   'characters' on TT. I sometimes wonder I might be on the wrong forum. I should just learn to keep my nose out of other threads perhaps, seeing as I've got nothing worthwhile to say😀.

If nothing else Id like to show how easy it is to make your own stuff, patterns and casting. I find pattern making therapeutic, good for times like these.😆.

Fantastic work mate! Right up my alley...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, uniflow said:

Absolutely keep going here.  PM me if anyone give you grief. This section of TT was created for exactly thins kind of thread.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, uniflow said:

assume you guys want me to carry on showing this project here

Yes please continue.  Even though I'll never do this myself, I enjoy the art and watching others that can.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Keep it going. If you don't I'll have to find out where you live and drive down to see what you've been up to, and no-one wants that. 🤣 These threads of yours are bloody great.

You gotta have a bit of a thick skin with some of these 'mericans in some of the threads. Give 'em the old 'she'll be right' treatment and just brush it off. thumbsup.gif.571f4d0613a050470be57f0f444e17f7.gif

Edited by DEATH_INC.
  • Like 2

Excellent thread.  I admire your work.  It’s like watching a great series on tv.  I can’t wait to see this motor run.

Ok, thankyou. I too am keen to see this uniflow run, I feel I have something proove with this engine. After all my successful uniflow work years ago it seemed a pitty to just let it all slip away. 

Unfortunatly it all has to fit around real work so posting may get a bit sporadic. 

Another issue is number of projects, for example this week I've been trying to finish this thing off, a core sand moulding machine I started to build a few years ago. Its sitting right in the way on the floor, its needed the hydraulic ram fitting and bearings that it mounts on. This was all made from a solid peice of mild steel plate I bought cheap as scrap. Machined it all out on my CNC. It works a bit like a plastic molding machine. Anyway that was what sucked up this week. 

20190530_095742.jpg

20190530_095751.jpg

• Like 1

Anyway enough of this but last few pictures, cylinder end, drive end. This pully is so the platterns can rotate 180 degrees, to assist sand injection into the mold. 

20200425_150709.jpg

20200425_150801.jpg

• Like 1

cores and core boxes, starting with the an exhaust 'master' stub, hand made. The engine need three exhaust ports identical to this master. So I've made a female mold off it and cast myself three of them, for mold building purposes. In the end these female mold boxes become the sand core boxes. You will see as we go. 

Probably next will be a female core box mold of the actual cylinder bore, the long round thing on the bench. The indents are important as the give somwhere for the sand cores to attach, accurately. 

Transfer core box, cant be shown, its a bit different and its not been tried before, as far as I can research so I'm keeping that to myself for the moment. HaHa, KTM might want it😀

20200427_180740.jpg

20200427_180748.jpg

20200427_180804.jpg

• Like 2