KatoKonvert

Beta 2020 issues & fixes

Posted (edited)

With a few months post-release, a few issues are appearing. Please list any gremlins & fixes. Mods, please delete if this isn’t appropriate. 

RR300 - casting run-out on the water pump housing - 

Lost all my coolant today after I glanced the pipe off a rock & the water pump hose was squashed against the pipe.

As it turns out, the casting run-off at the top of the water pump housing is so sharp on my bike it holed the hose. 

Had to Gaffa tape the hose, fill the rads with creek water & nurse the bike back back to my car. 

Will clean it up with a file & fit Samco hoses. 

4120952A-FA56-4A2D-A5D4-DB8DA061CC4D.jpeg

Edited by KatoKonvert
  • Like 1

I’m going to cut a pvc elbow in half and tape it on there for protection.  

• Like 1

This is a great post and possibly mods will sticky it as more and more are getting my20s including myself 2020 500 RRS.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wakewop said:

I’m going to cut a pvc elbow in half and tape it on there for protection.  

Great idea - me too. I’ll save the elbow I took off & cut a section for extra protection. 

I run a cf guard. A P-Tech type would prevent pipe hits, true. 

D2D2BF19-F985-4CA8-A79A-DEA623F02859.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Speedo - there have been multiple warranty recalls due to the speedo failing (mine stopped after 6 mins) &/or resetting.

I can only speak for myself, but on the ‘coolant dump in tech terrain’ ride yesterday mine reset to 0. I believe a possible reason for the failure is the decoupling of the speed sensor connector when m + f ends are attached through the new plate on the speedo mount. 

I pulled m + f plugs away from the plate & reattached behind the plate as shown & the speedo recorded km’s & hours and kept time accurately. If my speedo resets again, it’s off for a warranty replacement. But, so far, so good..

Also, my dealer wasn’t sure if the hour meter counts when the motor is running or just when the front wheel is turning. I put my bike on the stand the other day & idled it for 6 min or 0.1hr - the minimum hour increment. No change. I can’t confirm 100% if my speedo was plugged in correctly, so I’ll do it again when the bike is back together.  

5F36AC79-9C47-4F98-B9AD-4604D9F2C556.jpeg

Edited by KatoKonvert

I had one of the first '20 300 race editions in the states...so far the only real issue I've had is the ride computer resetting itself. I haven't tried to address the issue and I'm not sure I ever will...I actually got rid of it on my '15 300re. I put a separate hour meter on the bike before I even rode it.

Another area to watch for is the fork guards...mine will lose their "center" and start wearing the protector ring on the upper fork tube. My dealer had someone else complain about it, it actually wore through the ring and into the tube...I don't know what the final resolution was with Beta USA. I think the best bet is to just use those green SKF plastic fork protectors.

Also, the pipe coupler is worse than ever...or at least mine is. On my '15 I was able to get it to stop leaking with zip-ties. On the '20, I had to resort to tie-wire...not before most of the motor was coated in spooge. A little bit of aluma-brite and a toothbrush, and it's all good now.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

2020 200RR issues in the 1st 25 hours:

Rubber pipe connector blowing oil all over the bike. Replaced with KTM equivalent.

Front pipe sealing o rings blowing. Replaced with KTM equivalent.

Failed speedo pickup sensor. Warranty replacement.

Speedo reset itself, all distance and hours totals reset to zero. Warranty replacement.

Silencer guard snapped off at fixing bolt. Bought replacement and added zip ties.

Failed crank seal burning transmission oil. Warranty replacement.

OI over oiling. TPS needed adjusting as ECU saw throttle as 25% open when shut.

Edited by Hubert Carpet
  • Like 6
  • Helpful 2
  • Sad 2

I broke my speedo pickup cable in an enduro a few weeks ago and can confirm the hours haven't increased since. Will be putting a hour meter on and an enduro computer to replace the factory one.

• Like 1

I have heard of 2x 2020 300rrs that had wires in the wire harness break near steering head. Supposedly when you turn the bars full lock to the right, the harness pinches and can crack wires in the main bundle. Was said to happen to a bike with less than 15hrs. Bike developed starting issues as a result.

Have yet to look at mine to see if it is an issue or if it is easily addressed.

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Sierra_rider said:

I had one of the first '20 300 race editions in the states...so far the only real issue I've had is the ride computer resetting itself. I haven't tried to address the issue and I'm not sure I ever will...I actually got rid of it on my '15 300re. I put a separate hour meter on the bike before I even rode it.

Another area to watch for is the fork guards...mine will lose their "center" and start wearing the protector ring on the upper fork tube. My dealer had someone else complain about it, it actually wore through the ring and into the tube...I don't know what the final resolution was with Beta USA. I think the best bet is to just use those green SKF plastic fork protectors.

Also, the pipe coupler is worse than ever...or at least mine is. On my '15 I was able to get it to stop leaking with zip-ties. On the '20, I had to resort to tie-wire...not before most of the motor was coated in spooge. A little bit of aluma-brite and a toothbrush, and it's all good now.

In line parallel 14" zip ties (low profile).  You can get a 100 pack for around $15.  Clean looking and last forever.  With these i actually remove the OEM wear ring all together and just use these.  Once an area starts to get a little wear (which takes a long time) simply rotate a 1/4" either direction for a fresh contact patch :).  The zip ties themselves are pretty thick for good protection.  

IMG_0321.jpg

IMG_0322.jpg

IMG_0323.jpg

Edited by NW_drZ
  • Like 6

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, velocityjunky said:

I have heard of 2x 2020 300rrs that had wires in the wire harness break near steering head. Supposedly when you turn the bars full lock to the right, the harness pinches and can crack wires in the main bundle. Was said to happen to a bike with less than 15hrs. Bike developed starting issues as a result.

Have yet to look at mine to see if it is an issue or if it is easily addressed.

i just went through my bike and didn't notice any bad angles or kinks in the harness, was actually pretty impress with its clean layout. Maybe it's a 2stroke thing, my 4stroke looked good. 

Things I notice as I torn her apart this week, most stuff was greased well, all white lithium, someone thought to smear a little water proof grease in the swings arms, but not much. I went and regreased everything with good wp grease.

the knuckle was greased pretty good, EXCEPT for the shock mount bearing, that was pretty much dry. 

Top triple clamp was torqued less then the 17NM from the factory

The outer clutch cover was little less torqued then the 10NM but not as bad the top triple clamp.

Air filter upper right corner by the clip, looked like the foam base didn't get fully seated in it's pocket, it's a fiddle bit and can be easy to not get that corned of the filter fitted right.

Lower right radiator hose was slightly kinked into the motor, hose a was a touch long and I cut 1/4" off the end and it smoothed out the bends. 

Ground under the tank wasn't bad little surface rust under wire, quick hit with a dremel cleaned it up and anti corrosive oil applied

seat latch needed a little oil to make it work better. 

Added the cooling fan, the instruction suck and rotation of the fan shown in them is bad. took me a while to find a good rotation and make all the wire reach and look good. Pictures to follow, but basically spal fan sticker up (12 oclock) fan wire around the bottom.

Kick stand spring on mine was goofy, bottom hook was turned to point backward, but would then catch and drag on the pivot bolt. Easy fix was to turn the spring 180 degrees to clear the bolt. 

The RE 4s comes with the RR-s Harness, with a bunch of connectors left undone or blanked off, so it would be very easy to buy RR-S parts and make it streetable.

Over all 26 hours spend dicking with it going though every thing, being nit-pickey and found very little I would consider a problem. Now i just have to ride the thing and see how she does. 

Edited by rharr
  • Like 3

22 hours ago, Hubert Carpet said:

2020 200RR issues in the 1st 25 hours:

Rubber pipe connector blowing oil all over the bike. Replaced with KTM equivalent.

Front pipe sealing o rings blowing. Replaced with KTM equivalent.

Failed speedo pickup sensor. Warranty replacement.

Speedo reset itself, all distance and hours totals reset to zero. Warranty replacement.

Silencer guard snapped off at fixing bolt. Bought replacement and added zip ties.

Failed crank seal burning transmission oil. Warranty replacement.

OI over oiling. TPS needed adjusting as ECU saw throttle as 25% open when shut.

What model Ktm for those parts? Or do you have actual part #’s

I used one for a 2015 300 EXC as I had one in stock. I would expect that it's the same part # for all the KTM 2T bikes.

The rubber KTM uses seems to be softer and more flexible.

• Helpful 1

Pay attention when replacing the new style air filter, you can actually put the filter on the cage both ways, it's goes opposite of what looks right, but only locks in one way.     

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

Is Speedo issues known on the 2019's? The GPS speedometer just doesn't cut it. 

2020 300rr. Check the line/tube that goes from the oil reservoir to the pump. Mine was too long causing a nasty kink in the line.  It was zip tied, and secure, just kinked.  

• Like 1

On 3/24/2020 at 4:05 AM, ktm300 said:

Pay attention when replacing the new style air filter, you can actually put the filter on the cage both ways, it's goes opposite of what looks right, but only locks in one way.     

Long post up 

• Like 1