Beta 2020 issues & fixes

8 hours ago, SigPig said:

Is there a way to reset that back to 0?

Not a correct way but I hit a big double at a friends track and the landing was hard enough to reset everything back to zero, miles and hours and switch MPH back to KPH. Luckily I installed my own hour meter from new and this odometer never seemed to work the best so I might just remove it anyway

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

You mean breathing noises from fuel cap? I noticed it but cant compare to past models. On my last ride I slowly opened the cap to let the air escape. Was nervous as it reminded me of an old car radiator sound ?

As info, my old yz250 2 stroke would speak to me alot!

4 hours ago, bradje said:

You mean breathing noises from fuel cap? I noticed it but cant compare to past models. On my last ride I slowly opened the cap to let the air escape. Was nervous as it reminded me of an old car radiator sound ?

As info, my old yz250 2 stroke would speak to me alot!

sounds like your vent line is clogged

Edited by herrmann450r
  • Like 1

Another interesting 2020 “inclusion” - my fuel tank holds another 800ml in reserve on the lower front rhs. Total left in the tank after the bike stops with the petcock on “On” as measured yesterday is 2.3L to bone dry. 

Edit - my bad, 2020 manual shows 2.3L reserve, not 1.5L.

As you were!

Edited by KatoKonvert

4 minutes ago, bradje said:

Can anyone give me more info on tossing cap vent, reasoning for such and how to do it?

Preventing vapor lock.

Keep the cap. Just remove the one way valve under the green plastic cover. I was able to pop off the green cover, toss the valve, and then reinstall the green cover as a splash guard. Most toss the whole thing.

I now have the IMS tank and cap which vents normally.

• Like 1

Hey guys. The other day I was building trails which of course is slow going with not much air flow. I expected some high temps and got some but nothing crazy. Towards end of day I got some (what i thought was) steaming, once I got to more open area all seemed ok. Anyways, moral of story is it was smoke, plastic smoke. There is a hose from tank area (but no connection to tank) that seems to me must be just in case you boil fuel or mess up on re-fueling or something. See pics to make sense. Anyways, i dont know why (Luigi on Friday and having a drink I reckon) but this hose went from that tank area (which is on left) back across header pipe and thats what melted causing smoke and eventually severing the connection.  Very happy I didnt find a coolant leak but still pissed me off a tiny bit ?

In the 2nd pic see the top middle area..seems just like a "runaway" ditch no?

tankoutletburned.jpg

tankoutlet.jpg

18 hours ago, bradje said:

Hey guys. The other day I was building trails which of course is slow going with not much air flow. I expected some high temps and got some but nothing crazy. Towards end of day I got some (what i thought was) steaming, once I got to more open area all seemed ok. Anyways, moral of story is it was smoke, plastic smoke. There is a hose from tank area (but no connection to tank) that seems to me must be just in case you boil fuel or mess up on re-fueling or something. See pics to make sense. Anyways, i dont know why (Luigi on Friday and having a drink I reckon) but this hose went from that tank area (which is on left) back across header pipe and thats what melted causing smoke and eventually severing the connection.  Very happy I didnt find a coolant leak but still pissed me off a tiny bit ?

tankoutletburned.jpg

tankoutlet.jpg

Mine runs straight down the frame and under the engine and drains on the skid plate. That drain hole in the second picture has a Nipple on the bottom side that the clear hose was connected to. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HERA said:

Not sure if it has been mentioned... But the 2020 comes with very thin tubes.. First order is to put in some heavy duty tubes.

That is always the case not only for 20s or Beta but with all makes. 

You just noticed now.... ? 

On 4/11/2020 at 9:17 PM, bradje said:

tankoutletburned.jpg

tankoutlet.jpg

That "ditch' collects the over-filled gas and sends it down towards your skidplate rather than having it run over the side of the tank and onto your (perhaps hot) engine.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kmckillop1 said:

My high speed compression on rear shock stopped being able to rotate.  Beta is sending me a new shock.  They have had great customer service but no clue what's wrong with it.

It's quite possible that yours is the first they've heard of this issue, and when you send it back they'll get that clue that you say they don't have. Like every other mechanical and electronic device, there are possibilities for failure.

Edited by motoxgiant
  • Helpful 1

37 minutes ago, motoxgiant said:

It's quite possible that yours is the first they've heard of this issue, and when you send it back they'll get that clue that you say they don't have. Like every other mechanical and electronic device, there are possibilities for failure.

That's 1000% correct in principle but I believe that does not apply in this example. 

8 hours ago, Kmckillop1 said:

My high speed compression on rear shock stopped being able to rotate.  Beta is sending me a new shock.  They have had great customer service but no clue what's wrong with it.

Did they 'interogate' you thoroughly over the phone on how this happened, when this happened (type of use), how you use the adjuster and how able are you to do some basic technical work? 

17 hours ago, HERA said:

Not sure if it has been mentioned... But the 2020 comes with very thin tubes.. First order is to put in some heavy duty tubes.

All part of the frenzied lunacy of weight reduction. I doubt there is any difference in cost for the manufacturer.