KatoKonvert

Beta 2020 issues & fixes

With the speedo pick-up m & f ends connected behind the plastic plate, the speedo functioned normally on a damp & muddy 40km ride yesterday.

A few scratches added to the bike’s history now, too! 

Should the speedo magnet on the front rotor be tight in the hole on the rotor? Mine is attached but moves around a bit.

Thanks

Mike

39 minutes ago, Brutus59 said:

Should the speedo magnet on the front rotor be tight in the hole on the rotor? Mine is attached but moves around a bit.

Thanks

Mike

Mine moved, I added a touch of rtv on the back side to hold it still. 

On 3/29/2020 at 4:20 PM, Brutus59 said:

Thanks

Mike

They almost all do that, or at least all 3 of mine did. So much so, that it actually caused erroneous speedo readings on my 350 and first 300.

Love my 2020 250 RR, but mine has had some very minor hiccups. So far the only issues I’ve had are one lost engine mount nut that allowed the the bolt to clatter around and make the bike feel like an old bone rattling 500. The mounts use a lock nut, but I doubled-down with loctite because the other mount was loose also. The other issue I have had, which I believe was during assembly, is the oil reservoir cap leaks out of the relief hole at the top, I’m not sure but I’m assuming there was supposed to be a baffle on the inside of the cap that my bike is missing.

I’ve also snapped both foot controls and the multi-switch on the bars, but that wasn’t the bikes fault. I Have also managed to break the top part of the subframe, but again, that is hard Enduro’s fault not the bikes. 

• Like 1

On 3/22/2020 at 4:08 PM, velocityjunky said:

I have heard of 2x 2020 300rrs that had wires in the wire harness break near steering head. Supposedly when you turn the bars full lock to the right, the harness pinches and can crack wires in the main bundle. Was said to happen to a bike with less than 15hrs. Bike developed starting issues as a result.

Have yet to look at mine to see if it is an issue or if it is easily addressed.

Make it 3x. The ground for the kill switch broke on mine last weekend just below the steering lock.

Also before this the Map Switch smoked itself. Got hot enough to deform the switch housing

IMG_20200404_144410.jpg

IMG_20200330_152510.jpg

• Like 2

I un-bolted my harness from the frame and tried to give it as much freedom when turning the bars so this doesn't happen on mine, we will see.

Another note :

After washing my bike the headlight got water in it and now the lens is fogging as the water heater up from the bulb. Considering drilling a small drain hole to allow the water to exit.

• Like 1

when i am on a fire road doing 126kph i find it hard to hold on. Is this normal 🙂

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, bradje said:

when i am on a fire road doing 126kph i find it hard to hold on. Is this normal 🙂

I backed off at 146k/hr on a fire road with stock 13/48 gearing. Twisted it to the stops at that speed and I reckon 

there was 1/3 throttle to go!! Scared shit out of me.

12 hours ago, Creme Fraiche said:

Make it 3x. The ground for the kill switch broke on mine last weekend just below the steering lock.

Also before this the Map Switch smoked itself. Got hot enough to deform the switch housing

Was the map switch problem also cause by the broken wires?

10 hours ago, velocityjunky said:

I un-bolted my harness from the frame and tried to give it as much freedom when turning the bars so this doesn't happen on mine, we will see.

Another note :

After washing my bike the headlight got water in it and now the lens is fogging as the water heater up from the bulb. Considering drilling a small drain hole to allow the water to exit.

I did this many years ago on a non bike toy. While it solved the water issue it let dust in. Dust dimmed the light and created mud when water eventually came in. I would not do it but use silicone to help seal water out. 

• Helpful 2

2 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Was the map switch problem also cause by the broken wires?

Doesn't look related.. Only broken wire I found was for the kill switch. The map switch burned up before the kill switch was lost.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Creme Fraiche said:

Doesn't look related.. Only broken wire I found was for the kill switch. The map switch burned up before the kill switch was lost.

Thanks for responding so quickly. Ok, that's strange. I assumed the broken wire (or wires?) may have to do with the map switch going west.

You didn't find the reason for the map switch issue yet, right? Well, if it works I would not investigate either....

11 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Thanks for responding so quickly. Ok, that's strange. I assumed the broken wire (or wires?) may have to do with the map switch going west.

You didn't find the reason for the map switch issue yet, right? Well, if it works I would not investigate either....

No, I didn't spend much time looking into the map switch as I don't use it. Didn't see anything obvious it may have just been the switch itself. I just took it off along with the fairing it sits in. 

I would not investigate much either, just make sure that nothing could cause a fire...

• Like 1

I have about 30+hrs on my 20 300rr now with no real issues other than the speedo, I heard this is related to the pickup cable so it will get replaced. Only other issue was with coolant pipe connectors loose, this was expected as I never checked for tightness after a few hours of use. 

Other than the cable issue for the speedo the 2020 Is a mega build from Beta IMO.

• Like 1

My map switch hasn't lit up since day one. Apparently a new one for is on the way. 

The speedometer registered a speed of 360kph while warming it up and wracked up 58kms on the odometer at a standstill. I haven't been anywhere on it yet... lol

Is there a way to reset that back to 0?

4 hours ago, SigPig said:

My map switch hasn't lit up since day one. Apparently a new one for is on the way. 

The speedometer registered a speed of 360kph while warming it up and wracked up 58kms on the odometer at a standstill. I haven't been anywhere on it yet... lol

Yes,,, buy a new gauge.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, SigPig said:

Talk to your dealer. They should know what to do.

• Helpful 1