KatoKonvert

Beta 2020 issues & fixes

5 minutes ago, weantright said:

Some times you can pull the hose away from the pipe by loosening the clamp and twisting the hose,,,, retighten.

OK Cool thank you.  I'll try that before I pull out the hammer.

Isn't there any other way to mount the temperature sensor for the radiator fan? I damaged it in my first ride and it wasn't really a hard training day in the mountains. 

A oversized 3.5 gallon tank will cover the sensor and give you a little more protection. Other wise the sky is the limit, find a more protected spot, either left or right radiator, pull the radiator take it to a local fab shop and have them weld a new bung where ever you think is best. Make a new batch of wires to adjust for location and Bob's your uncle....

I've had my 300rr for about a week now but spent the first couple of days tearing it down to dielectric grease all the connectors and check out some of the issues noted here. 

There was a post earlier here about the map switch melting, I found that the plug on mine is missing the "tabs" to lock the connectors together and it can come apart quite easily. I fixed mine with a couple of small zip ties to hole the connectors together but maybe they came loose and arced out on the other guys bike? 

I pulled the rad hose and filed off the sharp edge and fitted a little spacer to keep the pipe clear. Seems to be lots of clearance there until I smack the pipe on a rock or something... 

I can definately see the issue with the wiring harness at the neck. I ended up taking the clamp out completely and it seems to move around enough not to kink at such an extreme angle. 

One other thing I noticed is that with the steering stops removed there is a lot of interference with the forks and rads. I ended up putting the bolts in and machined 2 small spacers to go behind them so that the forks just barely touch the rads at full lock. The turning radius on this bike is not nearly as tight as my last bike (klx 400) I'm going to have to get good at pivot turns I guess! 

20200515_200500.jpg

20200522_144628.jpg

• Like 1

The map switch connector is not defective, it's supposed to fit in one of the rectangular slots in the odometer mounting plate. It pushes in from the back and the tabs lock it in place.

56 minutes ago, Hubert Carpet said:

The map switch connector is not defective, it's supposed to fit in one of the rectangular slots in the odometer mounting plate. It pushes in from the back and the tabs lock it in place.

Mine was just hanging out down where it's at now. Didnt notice a spare spot for it in the odo mount plate? But really wasnt looking for one. 

That's not the defective part though, it's where the two plugs come together there are supposed to be little tabs to "click" into the slots on the other half that are missing on mine. You can push the connectors together and they basically fall apart with a light tug of the wires instead of solidly indexing together. 

This washer was toast after 19hrs. Beta Australia want $36.15AUD for one - ha ha! You really don’t want that washer breaking up into pieces & falling down into the chamber. Mine appears to be made of tin foil. 

Teknik here in Sydney sells similar (3mm, not 1mm - so you’ll run a smidge more preload) for $1.50AUD.  

A18DDB33-CB74-48F3-B1AB-648A1CCE35C8.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, KatoKonvert said:

This washer was toast after 19hrs. Beta Australia want $36.15AUD for one - ha ha! You really don’t want that washer breaking up into pieces & falling down into the chamber. Mine appears to be made of tin foil. 

Teknik here in Sydney sells similar (3mm, not 1mm - so you’ll run a smidge more preload) for $1.50AUD.  

Damn! That’s a weird one. 

1 hour ago, KatoKonvert said:

Just posted a pic of one busted up on the FB page. 

• Like 1

Ahh the washer that goes on top of the fork spring, made me look that one up....

• Like 2

2 hours ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

Damn! That’s a weird one. 

HDR, that’s one word for it. As I pointed out elsewhere, if this washer breaks up & falls into the chamber, well - spring guides, etc could be damaged. Pretty expensive for warranty claims. Maybe Sachs & Beta should get together & retro-fit this part. Then, perhaps, recommend the distributor doesn’t gouge owners to replace a piece of crap with another piece of crap. 

Edited by KatoKonvert

22 minutes ago, KatoKonvert said:

HDR, that’s one word for it. As I pointed out elsewhere, if this washer breaks up & falls into the chamber, well - spring guides, etc could be damaged. Pretty expensive for warranty claims. Maybe Sachs & Beta should get together & retro-fit this part. Then, perhaps, recommend the distributor doesn’t gouge owners to replace a piece of crap with another piece of crap. 

So has this washer broken up? Or did yours?? That’s a lot of money for a washer