Yzflier977

2018 YZ450 shock air refill

Hey guys, I've got a 2018 YZ450 that's just now at 26 hours that needs the shock fluid serviced. My question is how are you guys and/or shops filling the reservoir back up with air?  In all my past yz's it had a Schrader valve on the bottom of the reservoir cap to get air into the bladder reservoir.  My 2018 has no such valve.  I really am not keen on taking my stuff to the shop to get worked on.  And yes I know it's "supposed" to be nitrogen. I've always used shop compressed air run up to the recommenced pressure and since I service mine every 25 hours and I'm not a hard core racer it's never made much difference. Any help is appreciated.  

I agree with mxgringo,  I do all the service in my shop then I take to my local service place. It’s not a dealer so they only charge $15 to fill it up. I ran the numbers to buy my own nitrogen tank and it was t worth. I’d have to do like 10 fills a year to pay it off in a couple and I don’t ride that much. Maybe it would be worth for you. 

I get that nitrogen is the proper way to do it and only shops are equipped to do that. But that wasn't my point. My question was the fill aspect of the process. Gringo, you mentioned a needle. Is that like what KTM uses?   

Yes these needles are used on a lot of diffrent shocks. I guess you could just buy a needle and fit it to your air pump. But you'll never get  accurate pressure. You'll need a no loss chuck valve. 

Thanks guys, not the answers I was hoping for.  Guess I'll keep searching. 

How to jerry rig his bike, apparently noone here does that and he will keep searching for bad advise elsewhere 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, wetneck said:

How to jerry rig his bike, apparently noone here does that and he will keep searching for bad advise elsewhere 

Wetneck, way to go!   You get the smart ass comment award.  But don't mind me, I'm just the guy that likes to be able to service my own bike and not be beholden to a shop and the mercy of their time table.  And it's not rigging anything.  Having a Schrader valve on the bladder cap used to be a factory option so a person could service it themselves.  Not so on my 2018, so I was asking for optionS from others who might have experience with it. Obviously you know nothing about it, hence the smart ass comment.  Obviously Yamaha wanted the buyer to bring this bike back to them for scheduled service putting more money in their pocket.  I'm not keen on that when I have the mechanical ability to do it myself.  The fix, if you're interested and can manage the correct end of a wrench, is either a bladder cap with the Schrader valve already installed from an earlier model that had it from the factory, or an aftermarket one from race tech with the self sealing bladder or a Schrader valve fitting.  I happen to have an old bladder cap from my 2009 450 that has the valve so I didn't answer because I had already found the solution.  

Yzflier977

Contact Enzo Racing they have bladder caps with Schrader valves for your shock. Hope this helps.

2 hours ago, Nick450X said:

Yzflier977

Contact Enzo Racing they have bladder caps with Schrader valves for your shock. Hope this helps.

Yes sir, that helps.  I found one over on race tech too.  But forgot about enzo.  Thanks man. 

So youll spend 50, 75,100+ bucks only to put the wrong product in your shock...to each their own

2 hours ago, wetneck said:

So youll spend 50, 75,100+ bucks only to put the wrong product in your shock...to each their own

No sir, I'll spend $59 to put a part on my bike that's designed for it so I can do the service myself for the next 6-8 years and not use the dealership at $35 bucks a fill.  Doesn't take long for the math to work out in my favor.  And that's only if my 2009 YZ450 bladder cap that I already have doesn't work.  

Don't waste your breath.  Besides the aftermarket bit, you may be able to track those needles down at a truck offroad shop. Fox truck shocks & I think snowmobile shocks require a long needle valve.  I have one for MTB bike shocks, but its a shorter needle, so it may not clear.