1982 XR500R 21" x 1.60" Front Wheel Big Crack & Lip Bends:

Ok,

According to Partszilla, there are (4) different spokes listed for the front 21" wheel of the 1982 XR500R.

234mm

233.5mm

198mm

198.5mm

How to tell which i need for my 21" DID 36 spoke wheel???

New wheel bearings and seal went into a freshly painted front hub today....I will post some photos tomorrow.

Edited by El Extremo

6 hours ago, El Extremo said:

Buchanan's said they do not sell spokes for the early drum brake XR's...

Buchanan will make spokes for a 1902 wooden wheeled air plane if you ask...They may not have  a set on hand, but they would...in a day or so. They made a set for my Son's 1977 XR80. Took a week and they showed up at my house.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Shawn_Mc said:

Buchanan will make spokes for a 1902 wooden wheeled air plane if you ask...They may not have  a set on hand, but they would...in a day or so. They made a set for my Son's 1977 XR80. Took a week and they showed up at my house.

That's kinda what I thought, and they are very near to us. The fellow I spoke with seemed in a rush. Maybe I will ring them back later on today....However, I did find a couple of sets of NOS both long (234mm) and short (198mm) on E-Bay, so one way or another, this is getting put back together... 🙂

Edited by El Extremo

On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2020 at 7:11 PM, El Extremo said:

should a lubricant be used on the spoke threads

Absolutely. Use the stuff with the highest moly content you can find. The moly will burnish into the thread contact area and the spokes won't seize up for years. I always do it this way.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

29 minutes ago, Doogee57 said:

Absolutely. Use the stuff with the highest moly content you can find. The moly will burnish into the thread contact area and the spokes won't seize up for years. I always do it this way.

I always use anti-seize compound on the nipples.  It you ever have to take the wheel apart again, you'll thank yourself.  

• Like 1
  • Helpful 2

1 hour ago, El Extremo said:

I got in touch with Kenny this morning at Buchanan's.  They are gonna make a spoke set for me $98.00

Will come with nipple lube.  There's a joke there somewhere...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BigDaddy22 said:

Will come with nipple lube.  There's a joke there somewhere...

Yeah, but I avoided it.

The nipple openings in this new wheel measure a whopping .310" in diameter. Isnt that much larger than the old rims on these bikes???

On 3/25/2020 at 7:50 AM, Steve-Norton said:

You need a thread pitch gauge or match it up to a known screw size,and the diameter just use dial verniers:<)  like 4mm x 1.25 for an example.

Steve, i'd question using a thread pitch gauge beyond pitch glance as it will not seat fully into the spoke threads completly. Spoke threads are rolled not cut to final thread profile. They have a rounded root sv a sharp "V" root produced by die cutting threads. which will cause stress fractures at the root after continious stress cycling spokes already under tension.  Good suggestion I must add but of a different thread profile. Toss in Whitworth, Imperial and metric into the thread mix. Last time I twisted a nipple I got slapped years ago......~~=o&o>.......  

• Helpful 1

Interesting....

The spoke nipples on my 09/1981 wheel are .257" in diameter. 

The brand-new-used DiD wheel - upon which i found a 2003 date code - had nipple holes measuring .317" in diameter. 

The holes are very symetrical, so i do not think they have been drilled or reamed...