Devin Thomas

Shifting without clutch in mid air?

I feel like this is a stupid question, but I am wondering if it is either safe, preferred, etc to shift without pulling in the clutch in mid air?

There is this one jump I cannot get enough speed for, and there is a table-step down before it. I hit that table in 3rd gear, but I wouldn’t have room to shift and WOT for the next bigger jump. Would it be possible to just upshift quickly in the air to 4th and gas it as you land to keep rpms up? This all seems like a foolish question, but I am just curious. Thanks.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Devin Thomas said:

I feel like this is a stupid question, but I am wondering if it is either safe, preferred, etc to shift without pulling in the clutch in mid air?

There is this one jump I cannot get enough speed for, and there is a table-step down before it. I hit that table in 3rd gear, but I wouldn’t have room to shift and WOT for the next bigger jump. Would it be possible to just upshift quickly in the air to 4th and gas it as you land to keep rpms up? This all seems like a foolish question, but I am just curious. Thanks.

You can shift in the air, and on the ground with out the clutch, its syncro mesh, but I would refrain from doing it often due to parts wearing out. Its called power shifting and a lot of riders do it. I can shift and clutch in the air because I have been doing it for many years, so practice clutching it in the air, and let go of the "death grip"...😉

Watch the MotoGP , watch their hands only clutch coming down the gears👍👍

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Devin Thomas said:

I suspect there is a lot of misinformation passed down by non motorcycle people that would advise the use of clutch while shifting, because it would be more applicable to trucks and cars. Your motorcycle transmission is a constant mesh sliding gear unit. There are no synchronizers anywhere in there. Your bike will shift fine without any clutch anywhere on the track. Upshift/downshift- full throttle -no throttle - part throttle- blipping throttle like a diesel trucker or Harley biker if you prefer. Your transmission is plenty robust and designed to shift smoothly under power and load without clutch. Most riders use clutch for starting bikes motion only or slipping it to bring engine revs up when needed. No need to baby the transmission on dirt bikes. They are designed for hard usage and all the abuse you could give it and more. Just keep clean engine/and/or transmission oil full and change it regularly. Some bikes have notchy shifting and prefer blipping throttle to shift easier between 1st and 2nd gear but most motocross models will allow full throttle upshifts. Most racers keep a finger or two on clutch lever to avoid stalling and more importantly to feather(slip) clutch out of corners to make engine rev and accelerate faster(this method is going to cause lots of clutch wear) and make the bike rocket out of turns when done correctly. 

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

2 hours ago, everlastneverfast said:

I suspect there is a lot of misinformation passed down by non motorcycle people that would advise the use of clutch while shifting, because it would be more applicable to trucks and cars. Your motorcycle transmission is a constant mesh sliding gear unit. There are no synchronizers anywhere in there. Your bike will shift fine without any clutch anywhere on the track. Upshift/downshift- full throttle -no throttle - part throttle- blipping throttle like a diesel trucker or Harley biker if you prefer. Your transmission is plenty robust and designed to shift smoothly under power and load without clutch. Most riders use clutch for starting bikes motion only or slipping it to bring engine revs up when needed. No need to baby the transmission on dirt bikes. They are designed for hard usage and all the abuse you could give it and more. Just keep clean engine/and/or transmission oil full and change it regularly. Some bikes have notchy shifting and prefer blipping throttle to shift easier between 1st and 2nd gear but most motocross models will allow full throttle upshifts. Most racers keep a finger or two on clutch lever to avoid stalling and more importantly to feather(slip) clutch out of corners to make engine rev and accelerate faster(this method is going to cause lots of clutch wear) and make the bike rocket out of turns when done correctly. 

So technically, I can perform the jump correctly and upshift without the clutch so I come down in 4th and give her the beans? I am a freak about engine maintenance, so maintaining isn’t an issue for me. I just didn’t want to %#&$ my clutch and gears up.

Posted (edited)

IMO the only danger of shifting in mid-air is miss-timing a shift and landing with your foot on the lever which could bend a shift fork.

If you must do it (upshift or downshift), do it as soon as you get airborne and have your boot back on the peg for the landing.

Edited by mlatour

8 hours ago, Devin Thomas said:

So technically, I can perform the jump correctly and upshift without the clutch so I come down in 4th and give her the beans? I am a freak about engine maintenance, so maintaining isn’t an issue for me. I just didn’t want to %#&$ my clutch and gears up.

Yep. No worries. Let er rip!! 3rd and 4th gears are tiny gears and engage easily. Most 3-4 gears will shift slicker than greased weasel snot. No worries. Won't hurt trans wont hurt clutch wont hurt nothing. You may find a bit of a learning curve not using clutch but that's how the fast guys do it. Takes a little practice.