Dominick Johnston

holding a 2 stroke wide open in the air

So I always see 4 strokes banging rev limiter in the air (Pointless), but I find myself revving my yz125 or yz250 out in the air hard especially right before I hit the ground so I can get into the next corner quickly, I was wondering if it's actually bad for the motor ? There's no valves or anything so I was thinking maybe the only thing it was hurting was the reeds? Anyone actually know if it causes damage?

11 minutes ago, Dominick Johnston said:

So I always see 4 strokes banging rev limiter in the air (Pointless), but I find myself revving my yz125 or yz250 out in the air hard especially right before I hit the ground so I can get into the next corner quickly, I was wondering if it's actually bad for the motor ? There's no valves or anything so I was thinking maybe the only thing it was hurting was the reeds? Anyone actually know if it causes damage?

Be sure to wear hearing protection so the screaming engine sound won't hurt your hearing(not joking) your engine is fine. Not to worry. Some riders use a "panic rev" while airborne to help adjust bikes attitude during flight. This can sometimes keep front wheel from dropping due to gyroscopic effect the fast turning tire causes. The opposite effect can be performed by tapping rear brake while airborne to lower front end. Both are advanced rider tricks and good to practice and learn carefully. Your idea to rev motor while airborne is a good plan. Be careful to keep rider weight centered upon landing to prevent monster wheelie when landing and tire hooks up. Your bike was designed and built for this sort of abusive service. Not to worry. Be sure to service bike and maintain it and it will serve you well. Be safe

• Like 1

Anyone that just holds the bike wide open in the air for no advantage is a bone head. Five reasons to rev the motor in the air regardless of 2 stroke or 4 Stroke. 

1. To raise the front wheel if it is too low. 
2. You are trying to get wheel speed to generate before you land. This helps drive hard down the backside of the jump.

3. You are trying to intimidate someone by reving the motor.

4. You are out of control and it is involuntary.

5. You are in fact a bonehead.