Hi a month ago I broke my lower tibia as a hairline fracture. I am now put from a cast to a boot is the any medical wrap or a way of getting back out on the trails? I am put in the boot for a month. I am 14

image.jpg

Let it heal properly before getting on a bike again. Follow your doctor's orders. You really don't want to go to the hospital right now so don't take the risk. It's not worth it. 

• Like 2
  • Helpful 3

9 hours ago, SS109 said:

Let it heal properly before getting on a bike again. Follow your doctor's orders. You really don't want to go to the hospital right now so don't take the risk. It's not worth it. 

I know i was just wondering what is out there cause sometimes you come upon some new tech for splints and stuff

11 hours ago, Blizzard TV said:

I know i was just wondering what is out there cause sometimes you come upon some new tech for splints and stuff

There very well might be, but waiting a couple of more weeks is the smartest path to a full recovery. I too hate being on the sidelines, but trust me, worth waiting. Watch some good riding technique videos in the process. 

• Like 1
  • Helpful 2

Riding hurt sometimes makes for a worse situation , .....   not being at full ability could have adverse outcomes .....   Believe Me ,   over 60 yrs. Of Proven Fact .....

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Blizzard TV said:

Nothing can protect you well enough as the damage is already done. Take it from a guy who broke three vertebrae around this time (March 31st) last year and spent three months in a neck brace not being able to do anything. Please just give it the time to heal properly.

• Like 1

Yes old guy advice here too.  Man just be content with hairline and one month versus much worse. Still hard for a a kid to wait tho I’m sure.  Take the good advice given here on tt. You will be back on before long. 

• Like 1

I'm another old bag here, 57 years old. If you hurt that leg again it may not heal right, and besides the hospitals don't need your business right now. You got plenty of time.

• Like 2

Just remember that everyone telling you to let it heal was as young as you once and remembers that feeling of invincibility. Then they got older and are passing on sound advice. 

You get one body in life and I can guarantee a day will come when you wake up stiff and it isn’t from a long ride the day before - you will realize this is the new norm and it sucks. For me that hit in my mid 30s. There isn’t one ride I regret, but I do regret not tending to my injuries correctly  

One more tip from a stiff middle age rider, if your going to keep riding marry a massage therapist or physical therapist, learn to cook and keep her happy. 

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

1 hour ago, bldmtnrider said:

Just remember that everyone telling you to let it heal was as young as you once and remembers that feeling of invincibility. Then they got older and are passing on sound advice. 

You get one body in life and I can guarantee a day will come when you wake up stiff and it isn’t from a long ride the day before - you will realize this is the new norm and it sucks. For me that hit in my mid 30s. There isn’t one ride I regret, but I do regret not tending to my injuries correctly  

One more tip from a stiff middle age rider, if your going to keep riding marry a massage therapist or physical therapist, learn to cook and keep her happy. 

Pt makes 3x what a lmt makes dnd don't get asked for a happy finish nearly as often. I would marry my pt any time, i'm actually lurking in the brush outside her house right now. 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Hang in there buddy. I know at 14 you want to jump right back out there. Like others have said let your body heal properly. This takes time and don’t rush it. When you are 50 you don’t want to look back and wish you had let it heal properly. I messed up and broke mine in September. It was a bad break though and I am still recovering!  You are young and will heal much faster. Just do what the docs and your parents say. Eat right and exercise if you are allowed to. All of this will make a huge difference. Good luck

Jerry

Edited by 01DRZRIDER

One more thing. Use this time to get out there and do maintenance on your bike. Don’t go lifting stuff or stressing your leg, but  clean the carb, adjust the chain....just do stuff to keep your mind off of the leg. That’s what I’ve been doing since I can’t ride right now.

On 3/24/2020 at 9:33 PM, InsaneClownPossum said:

Pt makes 3x what a lmt makes dnd don't get asked for a happy finish nearly as often. I would marry my pt any time, i'm actually lurking in the brush outside her house right now. Haha thx