What is legally open for riding in WA state? Anywhere?

I didn't think this was a big deal until about 2 weeks ago. Now I've changed my mind. I'm only looking at data. I'm not interested in what the talking heads say.

In addition to the worldometers link above, here's another good source.

https://covidtracking.com/

This is not like the flu or anything we've dealt with in our lifetimes.

We're tracking Italy by 10 days.

In Washington it's doubling every 4-5 days. In NY it's doubling every 2-3 days. This is a very contagious virus (attack rate is very high)

Look at the data and see for yourself.

If you understand the concept of exponential growth, you can see this gets out of control very quickly

If you want to say it compares to flu, H1N1, Sars, Spanish flu etc all the comparisons have been done for you. Look it up. It doesn't compare.

Social distancing is most effective in the early stages of an outbreak, like right now here in OR and WA. Of course, there's a lot we don't know but based on what we do know, this is what makes sense to me. We need widespread testing to truly understand the situation we're in but for that we need time so the best we can do is try not to spread and stay home.

Edited by pdx_drz400
  • Like 7
  • Helpful 1

5 hours ago, Slackkinhard said:

I'd like to know how many new cases are due to the citiots and their house parties. Probably almost none, certainly not enough to cry about. Folks are just pissed that they broke down and obeyed, while others don't share their solidarity and given the numbers provided, they shouldn't have.

I'm actually hoping we grow up and start behaving like adults. We should have already established guidelines as to when we need to do something. The numbers of sick folk out there due to this virus is shaping up and it is far from a doomsday pathogen. We SHOULD NOT be behaving like this due to this threat. H1N1 was scarier than this one, yet we've lost our minds. All this emotional whining is a bigger issue than the virus.

You're not paying attention to what's going on in Italy and Spain, and what could easily happen here. This situation is extremely dangerous and if not mitigated would become dire. We'd have 10s of thousands to hundreds of thousands of deaths, and they wouldn't be nice quick deaths, or deaths with palliative care. They'd be ugly drawn out deaths.

Italy and Spain may already be screwed. We'll know in the next few days.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, jrodicus100 said:

The sheriffs won't be enforcing anything, but DNR/USFS Rangers might since the land is closed. In other states, ppl have been asked to leave and threatened w/ misdemeanors if they don't comply. I personally wouldn't risk parking at the trailhead. Maybe if you're plated and can ride straight from your hose... 

DNR just posted that their lands are closed until 4/8.

www.dnr.wa.gov/closure

2 hours ago, SDR_rider said:

Something to consider is what if you're injured while riding. Do you really want to go to the hospital? Do you want to be potentially  exposed to the virus.  Look at the next few weeks like last year when it snowed. I want to ride myself but will be taking a break. In the big picture there's more important things.

100% this

I can tell you that you absolutely to not want to go to hospital right now. 

Our calls are getting very interesting! 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, pdx_drz400 said:

I didn't think this was a big deal until about 2 weeks ago. Now I've changed my mind. I'm only looking at data. I'm not interested in what the talking heads say.

In Washington it's doubling every 4-5 days. In NY it's doubling every 2-3 days. This is a very contagious virus (attack rate is very high)

If you understand the concept of exponential growth, you can see this gets out of control very quickly

If you want to say it compares to flu, H1N1, Sars, Spanish flu etc all the comparisons have been done for you. Look it up. It doesn't compare.

Social distancing is most effective in the early stages of an outbreak, like right now here in OR and WA. Of course, there's a lot we don't know but based on what we do know, this is what makes sense to me. We need widespread testing to truly understand the situation we're in but for that we need time so the best we can do is try not to spread and stay home.

I agree, my idea was to ride straight from my house to trailhead, ride a few hrs, drive straight home without pit stops. Convenience stores look like a breeding ground compared to precautions the military has been taking.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

37 minutes ago, Ew83 said:

I agree, my idea was to ride straight from my house to trailhead, ride a few hrs, drive straight home without pit stops. Convenience stores look like a breeding ground compared to precautions the military has been taking.

I ate some chicken strips in a convenience store in Alsea on Sunday. That'll be my last activity of that nature for a long time. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, pdx_drz400 said:

We use this:

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

• Like 1

And finally one more link.

The Germans are generally pretty common sense and generally don't over react. For perspective, the chancellor rarely give speeches on television. If there is any doubt about how serious this is, watch this.

On 3/24/2020 at 12:38 PM, Ew83 said:

Just wanna know if anyone combed through the regs and what they say about riding or public land access? If for example we can ride National forests but not state owned land? Of course it would be solo riding and all that, but just curious to know what is legal and what isn't. 

The National Forests is a great question, I would also be interested in knowing that.  Gatherings on private land is of course beyond the governors legal power to ban, we have constitutional protections.  Gatherings on private land may be ill advised, but not illegal.