huffdaddy_mx

05 400ex compression after seafoam

Wanted to get feedback on if anyone has experienced this when using Seafoam. I bought a 05 400ex that needed some TLC. When I did a compression check (engine warmed up) I was getting in the 90-94 range consistently (plug was pretty oil foaled too when removed for the test). I was not in the mood to do a teardown so I started looking at options to try to avoid it. One choice that I kept seeing was to use Seafoam to help with the carbon and to help clean the valve. Now, I had never used it before and never really had any luck with the so called snake oils. But, I thought, what the heel can it hurt. So I hooked up my test fuel tank and added clean gas. The thing had a hard time starting and would big big time when giving it any throttle. Let the engine warm up a bit and tossed some Seafoam in. I then started raising and lowering RPMs...got the white smoke...after a few minutes the big went totally away. The motor started to sound stronger and was running very stable. When through the tank in about 8-10min and let it cool for about 5 before the test. This time I was getting in the 120-125 range very constantly. Waited about an hour for the bike to cool and it started up fine, idled fine, and no bogging. Took it for a quick ride and it was like a new quad. So, is a change this big in compression to good or did this stuff work? I would still like to tear it down to see have the valves and springs are but that's not going to happen for a bit. Any feed back would be grateful, Thanks 

19 minutes ago, vossman23 said:

Shoot, sounds like a win for you. Probably knocked off some carbon and helped the valves seat better. 

That's sort of what I thought but at best I was thinking maybe a 5-10psi change if it worked at all...but hell I get a 30psi diff !?!?!

• Like 1

Ride it and don't look back. :ride: Hell, you might be nominated for the come back Quad of the year. :applause:

Enjoy!