Posted (edited)

Hey everybody I'm new to the forum. 

I bought a 97 DR350 two days ago and it aside from the missbeaded front tire it seemed good. I dropped talked the guy down to 1500 cause he drove it 300 miles for me to see. 

He said that he recently replaced the petcock and had the carb done by his "carb guy" and I took his word for it without even noticing that the carb was all wet with gas. 

After calling him he told me that I should change the oil (still smelled like gas real bad).

Stupid by me I took the carb out without changing oil, so I won't have any clue if it's still leaking into the oil til I can get it running again. 

Anyway,

I checked the oring in the seat (looked perfect, although now I can't get the seat in all the way)

The float seems to be working well, but It looks like the needle holder has been bent a little bit (don't know what a stock one looks like)

Overall, I haven't cleaned it yet but the whole carb looks real corroded, especially on the lid of the float-bowl. 

The engine is running rich, and I am pretty sure it's important to note that the exhaust has a supertrapp on it. It pops while shifting down. 

I ordered a carb rebuild kit that's coming in 4 days and am wondering if my plan to just clean it with Gumout, put a new oring in the seat and a new gasket on it and hope that fixes it. 

This is weird for me because I don't think I can just try to put everything back to stock settings (pilot screw, butterfly valve) if it has a supertrapp.

Also, can I reuse the new gasket I put in in case I need to take it apart again if cleaning it doesn't work?

Edit: There's no ziptie for the boot, could that cause excess fuel because the ratio is off?

IMG_1510.jpg

IMG_1511.jpg

Edited by mutherthumper

"I checked the oring in the seat (looked perfect, although now I can't get the seat in all the way)". What seat are you talking about? The needle valve assembly and seat?

What model 350? Different models used different carbs. Is this a CV diaphram type carb like in the 350SE?

More pics of the carb, as what I'm seeing so far, I question whether it's even a DR carb.

That thing is going to take some serious cleaning. Can't reuse those jets. Need new.

As for the bowl gasket, usually if you're careful about not damaging it and it's it's not become flattened, hard and brittle, it can be reused.

Don't omit removing the fuel screw(pilot mixture screw) and cleaning that passage and the oring most like will need replaced.

@Trailryder42 

Thanks for the response.

Yes the needle vale assembly and seat.

It looks a like an SE to me, but the title says DR350SEV, is that any different?

Do new jets come in a carb rebuild kid? This is the one I ordered. https://www.ebay.com/itm/173054320997

TLDR: You're thinking that the thing just needs a good cleaning and it should stop leaking into the oil?

Also it's running rich. Would I need to reject it, or can I just adjust the pilot screw?

Thanks,

Mother thumper

Posted (edited)

It the picture is correct, then yes, the kit comes with pilot and main jets, plus looks like a couple of air jets, new fuel screw assembly, idle speed adjuster, needle valve and seat assembly.

I doubt the new jets in the kit are OEM manufacturer. Whatever number "sizes" they are may not be the same orifice size as the OEM jet of the same size number. So I suggest, that being a Mikuni BST40, buy genuine Mikuni jets of whatever sizes you need.

No ziptie for the boot? What boot?

Read and state the sizes of your current jets.

Go find yourself and Haynes or Chiltons manual for the bike.

Edited by Trailryder42

I was talking about the air boot connected to the carb, its supposed to have one, im just not sure how big of a difference it makes. 

Here are the jet sizes. Pretty sure the one's in it right now are stock.

Thanks for the help by the way.

Carb pic.jpg

The carb boots get clamps, not zip ties.

The front clamp at the intake is PN#09402-52208

The rear air boot has 2 clamps. The big one that connects the boot to the airbox is PN#13826-14D01.

The other one at the carb end is PN#09402-66208

So that chart says your carb is a BST33, not the 40 I found in searching for specs.

I agree with you about jetting and the Supertrap. Might not hurt to pick up the next few sizes richer pilot and main jets.

As for the needle valve seat, I think I'd try getting it out again instead of trying to force it in if it's not going all the way. Try again, make sure something isn't hanging up or there's a burr or something. Or not try to reinstall it until the new part arrives to see how it fits.

Edited by Trailryder42