Yaw

2011 CRF450X Battery

So I've been having some battery trouble with my CRF450X, the battery that was in it when purchased was the original I believe, which was a "Yuasa Super MF TTZ7S" and this battery turns the engine over with ease once charged but then will die shortly after. So I bought a new battery on ebay, just bought one that said was compatible with my bike, so it arrived and is a "JMT JMTTZ7S-BS" and this one holds charge well but doesn't seem to have the cranking power to turn over the engine.

So is this new battery junk? I'm not sure what it is that defines the cranking power but the Yuasa says 90A (CCA) and the new one doesn't say a CCA. What does everyone suggest? thanks!

Looking up the new one on-line, the mfg claims 130 CCA, so it should not have any problems in turning things over.  I'd double check that connections are tight.

Jim.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, Jim Dettman said:

Looking up the new one on-line, the mfg claims 130 CCA, so it should not have any problems in turning things over.  I'd double check that connections are tight.

Jim.

Hmm strange, I've had it fully charged multiple times with the connections tight. Still has trouble.

I think it can turn it over once the engine is warm, but a cold start is a no go for that battery.

Edited by Yaw

2 minutes ago, Jim Dettman said:

Maybe a bad battery then.   Only way to know will be to have it tested.

Jim.

Ok, I might just buy another then. Any suggestions on one that will crank it over easily? doesn't need to be lightweight or anything, just powerful enough to have a reliable crank. Thanks

it sounds like you just got a bad battery- i installed a WPS lithium for my X 3 yrs ago and its been solid- no problems yet even starting when its below freezing. my guess it whatever you replace it with will work fine

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Sumoman said:

it sounds like you just got a bad battery- i installed a WPS lithium for my X 3 yrs ago and its been solid- no problems yet even starting when its below freezing. my guess it whatever you replace it with will work fine

Same here.   My WPS is 4 years old and still works great.