CRF230F/L newbies crf230f build/ride report

Writing this report for other newbies out their, i know this issue has been talked about extensively in the past. While I was researching all this past great info I soon realized I was more confused, too much info scattered.

All the info I gathered about giving a little more pep to my little 230 was gathered right here from this site, dealers know nothing about this subject, dont even ask them. I didnt figure out any of this by myself, i just put together a bunch of info that taxed my brain from riders/posts on this forum.

Thank you all.

crf230f with Hagon rear shock and Bruce Tripplett fork spring/damper mods, crf450 footpegs moved 1 inch lower and 1 inch back. Lithium ion battery, Uncorked running 112 main with 42 pilot at 5000+ elev.

Motor parts added. 11/1 wiseco with deck set at .041", web cam 340-402(moderate torque cam), 4 strokes only stepped stainless header pipe, manual cam chain tensioner, pro com cdi box. with stock tail pipe and muffler with spark arrestor installed.

With these additions i noticed a decent gain in power, not sure the cost and time was worth the effort but happy i did them.

The quest to put a real smile on my face continued so I built a 304 stainless tail pipe assembly and aluminum can muffler same dimensions as the stock muffler but almost straight thru while still using the stock spark arrestor.

The 4 strokes only is a stepped header with final ID about 1.300, the tailpipe assembly I made stepped the ID up to 1.400" all the way through..

I did not give the bike a real test at this time(snow), only rode it thru the subdivision and ran fine.

During this time I sourced a 78 xl250s, PD03a pumper carb off ebay, cost $100(ouch), somewhat corroded of course, took to shop and soda blasted the insides. Sourced all the rebuild parts, about $70. Included all parts except the slide assembly was luckily almost new.

And the best part it bolted right onto the stock manifolds. Stock cables,easy.

Ported the intake manifold to match, and slighter larger at the head, ported the head to match the manifold.

xl carb came with a (press fit)40 pilot, was sourcing a 42 that was perfect in the stock carb and Adnoguy mentioned to just use the 40, so I did. Set fuel mixture screw at 2 turns out., and stuck in a 115 main.

Ride report, good hard ride at pipestone area out of whitehall MT.

WOW, what a difference. The carb pulled all the other mods I did together as one sweet unit. I loved the torque but what really "totally"surprised me was the mid to top end hit I got. I still find it hard to believe where the upper mid to top end power & rpm came from since I was using the mild torquer web cam,

Maybe the opened up exhaust and larger carb just let it breathe a whole lot easier??

I for the most part never ride in that upper range but some of these long uphill grades/trails you just need to stay on the gas and when it came on my face lit up like a xmas tree, smiles all the way.

I also changed the rear tire to an IRCve33 100/100-18, which when mounted was narrower then the stock tire, just looked small, said what the hell just try it out, dropped the psi to 8lbs and that was one heck of a difference from the stock hard rear tire. So much better I just ordered a ve35 for the front.

Things I still need to make better: The throttle assembly never felt good, I think its the return cable , I just dont know..

And the front forks are a little to stiff for me, followed Bruces instructions using 5-20 synthetic for a 210lb rider, any ideas on this would be appreciated.

What would I be tempted to try next time: Buy the chinese carb from internet for about $45. and change the fuel inlet to vertical and buy the japanese kehien made rebuild kit for $40. off of fleabay, change out the orings, needle, needle jet and main and source a keihin pilot.

hope this helps some of you folks out their.

• Helpful 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/25/2020 at 1:21 PM, J C113 said:

Writing this report for other newbies out their, i know this issue has been talked about extensively in the past. While I was researching all this past great info I soon realized I was more confused, too much info scattered.

All the info I gathered about giving a little more pep to my little 230 was gathered right here from this site, dealers know nothing about this subject, dont even ask them. I didnt figure out any of this by myself, i just put together a bunch of info that taxed my brain from riders/posts on this forum.

Thank you all.

crf230f with Hagon rear shock and Bruce Tripplett fork spring/damper mods, crf450 footpegs moved 1 inch lower and 1 inch back. Lithium ion battery, Uncorked running 112 main with 42 pilot at 5000+ elev.

Motor parts added. 11/1 wiseco with deck set at .041", web cam 340-402(moderate torque cam), 4 strokes only stepped stainless header pipe, manual cam chain tensioner, pro com cdi box. with stock tail pipe and muffler with spark arrestor installed.

With these additions i noticed a decent gain in power, not sure the cost and time was worth the effort but happy i did them.

The quest to put a real smile on my face continued so I built a 304 stainless tail pipe assembly and aluminum can muffler same dimensions as the stock muffler but almost straight thru while still using the stock spark arrestor.

The 4 strokes only is a stepped header with final ID about 1.300, the tailpipe assembly I made stepped the ID up to 1.400" all the way through..

I did not give the bike a real test at this time(snow), only rode it thru the subdivision and ran fine.

During this time I sourced a 78 xl250s, PD03a pumper carb off ebay, cost $100(ouch), somewhat corroded of course, took to shop and soda blasted the insides. Sourced all the rebuild parts, about $70. Included all parts except the slide assembly was luckily almost new.

Ported the intake manifold to match, and slighter larger at the head, ported the head to match the manifold.

xl carb came with a (press fit)40 pilot, was sourcing a 42 that was perfect in the stock carb and Adnoguy mentioned to just use the 40, so I did. Set fuel mixture screw at 2 turns out., and stuck in a 115 main.

WOW, what a difference. The carb pulled all the other mods I did together as one sweet unit. I loved the torque but what really "totally"surprised me was the mid to top end hit I got. I still find it hard to believe where the upper mid to top end power & rpm came from since I was using the mild torquer web cam,

Maybe the opened up exhaust and larger carb just let it breathe a whole lot easier??

I for the most part never ride in that upper range but some of these long uphill grades/trails you just need to stay on the gas and when it came on my face lit up like a xmas tree, smiles all the way.

I also changed the rear tire to an IRCve33 100/100-18, which when mounted was narrower then the stock tire, just looked small, said what the hell just try it out, dropped the psi to 8lbs and that was one heck of a difference from the stock hard rear tire. So much better I just ordered a ve35 for the front.

Things I still need to make better: The throttle assembly never felt good, I think its the return cable , I just dont know..

And the front forks are a little to stiff for me, followed Bruces instructions using 5-20 synthetic for a 210lb rider, any ideas on this would be appreciated.

What would I be tempted to try next time: Buy the chinese carb from internet for about $45. and change the fuel inlet to vertical and buy the japanese kehien made rebuild kit for $40. off of fleabay, change out the orings, needle, needle jet and main and source a keihin pilot.

On 3/25/2020 at 1:21 PM, J C113 said:

Thank you all.

I run 0-20 Amsoil Signature Series  Engine oil 5” from the top, both sides, # 40 cannon springs with air bleeders to release pressure in altitudes. Bruce’s damper rods with Zero preload.  My bikes both weigh 232 lbs with a full tank and I’m 225lbs with no gear and a fork brace. 
I never bottom during rides unless I screw up badly.  Ride is Smooth, plush, compliant. 

Edited by adnohguy
  • Like 2

I will try some lighter weight oil. Thanks

16 hours ago, adnohguy said:

I run 0-20 Amsoil Signature Series  Engine oil 4” from the top, both sides, # 40 cannon springs with air bleeders to release pressure in altitudes. Bruce’s damper rods with Zero prelude. My bikes both weigh 232 lbs with a full tank and I’m 225lbs with no gear and a fork brace. 
I never bottom during rides unless I screw up badly.  Ride is Smooth, plush, compliant. 

Always nice to read you are still happy.  Bruce's forks seem to defy common sense...

i just got off the phone with bruce asking if i could soften them up a little, after explaining to bruce where my forks seem harsh he said not much can be done with that issue.

Issue is, while riding hard "uphill" and jumping a water diversion hump then the front wheel slamming down on the upcoming "upslope", bruce mentioned that was about the same issue as a supercross rider not making the triple jump far enough , landing short on the third uphill hump, i do see his point.

When i was a lot younger and riding my open class maicos never really had too much of a problem with that because i could just gas it and slowly bring the wheel down, the little 230 doesnt quite live up to the open class 2ts in that manner.

54 minutes ago, J C113 said:

i just got off the phone with bruce asking if i could soften them up a little, after explaining to bruce where my forks seem harsh he said not much can be done with that issue.

Issue is, while riding hard "uphill" and jumping a water diversion hump then the front wheel slamming down on the upcoming "upslope", bruce mentioned that was about the same issue as a supercross rider not making the triple jump far enough , landing short on the third uphill hump, i do see his point.

When i was a lot younger and riding my open class maicos never really had too much of a problem with that because i could just gas it and slowly bring the wheel down, the little 230 doesnt quite live up to the open class 2ts in that manner.

I never have ridden a Maico but I do believe that with your minor mods on your bike it may not ride or run quite like a good running/working Maico anyway. 

• Haha 1

I love my little 230, but a450 2t it is not.

• Haha 1

Lol,, those maicos did require lots of maintenance that's for sure, once you got tired of breaking them you learned  too do maintenance after every ride.

• Haha 1

Hi guys, what is the final verdict on Racetech gold valves, I am intrigued by them. I am half tempted to get a set of dampers and send them to Bruce, and try some gold valves also. Please talk me out of it.

Dont get me started on Maico's, kid you not a proper go thru they were good for the whole season of racing . . . every sunday. My friend let me ride his 1974.5 GP400 [mid year change to the moved up suspension] my CR250 Elsinore went up for sale. $1600 dollars later had me one. This is 1974 open class japanese bikes were like$1200.

Those couple years Maicos were like cheating, two stroke tractors . . . . look where you wanted to go the bike did it. Rant over

Liberal dose of 242 on every fastener, do not leave compression release disconnected, Maico did not put it there to save your leg, which it did acomplish also

CRF230 is a close second in motorcycles owned

Hope this is not off the rails too much

• Like 1

It's not off my topic,, as long as you kept the motor mounts tight and a few other things on the maicos,, their wasn't any thing that could touch them.... Best 2t power band of all time.

• Like 1

Lol,ya the mag cover would condensate and get the points wet.. Back in those days all the bikes had their own issues.. Just have to stay out of the water crossings silly..

I wish I had another maico 450 motor to tuck in a newer frame.

Ha ha you missed it when we would race against Maicos. We would look forward for water crossing. As each Maico would lose the brakes. Allowing us to pass after they crashed. What we did with our Maico breako  1977  remove the engine . Very common tt500 engine in maico frame. We had them bore and stroked 650cc. Best Moto I ever had ahh but with Yamaha wheels brakes. I have pictures somewhere .yes Maico engine tractor but could never keep them running a whole day. 

That sounds like a fun ride, I put a B-50 motor in a Maico [BSA single] fun but not a race bike. Hey automobiles would not start after puddles back then, thats what put wd-40 on the map.

I had no issues with wet ignitions [proper set-up😀] the brakes maybe, pie-pan backing plate was state of the art race fare.

I have just read a ton of threads/posts on gold valves, Bruces dampers, fork oil theories etc. and the consensus . . . . . . faccck if i know !?

I do remember Maico ignition points lasted like forever

bajatrailrider do you rent bikes and do guided rides or something?  

I forgot about the brakes,,yep terrible,, usually adapted a yz front brake to them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bsa441 said:

That sounds like a fun ride, I put a B-50 motor in a Maico [BSA single] fun but not a race bike. Hey automobiles would not start after puddles back then, thats what put wd-40 on the map.

I had no issues with wet ignitions [proper set-up😀] the brakes maybe, pie-pan backing plate was state of the art race fare.

I have just read a ton of threads/posts on gold valves, Bruces dampers, fork oil theories etc. and the consensus . . . . . . faccck if i know !?

I do remember Maico ignition points lasted like forever

bajatrailrider do you rent bikes and do guided rides or something?  

No renting of bikes on your own. On Baja tours yes we supply Moto's. I never had problems Maico points. They never ran long enough 😂 for that problem. Back in your day Mr BSA. I raced district ama 37 desert. My close friend bought all three of his Maicos . On Saturday before Sunday race by Saturday night two broken. I was on my Rickman triumph 750 at the time. First 50 mile loop there he was yes ahead of my Triumph. Except broke down  I yelled after race I tow you.  So I did Finnish the 100 miles race. Got two rope 25 mile or so towed him back. Told me that Triumph made me scared out of my mind at that speed towing.  Ha ha me too. 

aye the Maicos did me right east coast MX.

Hats off to you running the Rickman twln back then, I just read about desert racing and looked at the pictures. Do you have any of the Brit iron around still ?

Guess you crossed trails with Malcolm Smith, Steve McQueen and others?

5 hours ago, bsa441 said:

aye the Maicos did me right east coast MX.

Hats off to you running the Rickman twln back then, I just read about desert racing and looked at the pictures. Do you have any of the Brit iron around still ?

Guess you crossed trails with Malcolm Smith, Steve McQueen and others?

Rode with Malcolm in the saboa event 3 times. Raced Moto cross at Indian dunes Steve was on a Cheney 500 triumph I was on my Rickman  650 Moto crosser. He told me he has never seen that long of Endo. Without crashing . Back to Maicos we only rode them in desert . Don't think they liked that best handling great bottom. End. Except broke down every ride. Of course British bikes had bad rap too. Nothing like maico   husky. Pretty much all the eruo junk broke all the time. The hodka that was bullet proof. CZ. Size easy. The old Ktms super unreliable. Got pictures you BSA / Maico what a cool bike .

Nose wheelie on a Rickman 750 and talkin with Steve about it, thats just kool. I got pics, will need help posting them, I can keep a Maico and Brit thumper on the track  . . . . computer savy not so much.

I have pics racing at Budds Creek waayy before it was a National track, you cannot believe how many trees were cut down to see the whole track, same basic layout!

I use to imagine riding a 650 Triumph in the dirt, which makes me ask why did u guys punch them out to 750, I know, if I have to ask . . . .

Did u run the Bonneville twin carb head or the Tiger single carb head