KTMdood311

Can you replace KTM axle blocks?

I just got a 2014 250XC off of my buddy and it needs a new rear axle. I purchased an axle block that came off a ‘19 450 SX-F and it said that it should fit my bike. Well for some reason the axle didn’t come with axle blocks. 

I was hoping to use the axle blocks that I already have off of the bike, but I noticed that the brake-side of the axle has the axle block welded to it or whatever. Is there any way to get that axle block off? Or is buying new ones the only way to go? Thanks for input. 

Posted (edited)

I've never seen or noticed it being welded on. That would be kinda stuuuupid. It might be an interference fit with the axle and need pressing off tho. Try heating the block and then tapping the bolt out.

When buying new, the bolt comes with the bolt head side block installed, the threaded side is sold separately.

Edited by Trailryder42

It’s pressed on.  And the fixed axle block is on the sprocket side of the axle, not the brake side.  Sounds like the axle was put in backwards.

• Like 3

I installed billet axle blocks on my 2019. there was a nice video on how swap the blocks on the website of the company who made it.  I think the company was bolt.

As far as I know its isn't pressed on its screwed on. It would be strange that it is different on the SXF vs the EXC/XC/XCW.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

28 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

As far as I know its isn't pressed on its screwed on. It would be strange that it is different on the SXF vs the EXC/XC/XCW.

You may be correct.  I have never replaced one, had just heard they were pressed on.  Be easy to check by OP looking at his new axle and see if it’s threaded at that end.

The end block is screwed on

I thought the rear axle was the same from 13 onwards ?

Front changed in 15

• Helpful 1

3 hours ago, Gflo said:

You may be correct.  I have never replaced one, had just heard they were pressed on.  Be easy to check by OP looking at his new axle and see if it’s threaded at that end.

Start at 2 minutes 😉

• Helpful 1

I switch mine to a kit that uses a floating axle from a CR450 
Feel any better?

The axle is the same for both bikes mentioned. The fixed block is screwed on with additional threadlocker. You mount the fixed block on the sprocket side as already mentioned so your axle nut cannot come loose. Bob

5 hours ago, mog said:
15 hours ago, Dirtstache 556 said:
I switch mine to a kit that uses a floating axle from a CR450 

Feel any better?

maybe a little, doesn't seem to want to kick out as much in the roots. Supposed to be good for the whoops on mx bikes. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Start at 2 minutes 😉

Did you happen to catch the major mechanical no no he did at 3:53?

Edited by Trailryder42

3 hours ago, Trailryder42 said:

Did you happen to catch the major mechanical no no he did at 3:53?

Mh, all I thought is that using a torque wrench as a ratchet is definitely a no-no, but other than that I didn't see anything...

Please let me know what you've found.

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

Mh, all I thought is that using a torque wrench as a ratchet is definitely a no-no, but other than that I didn't see anything...

Please let me know what you've found.

He used it for loosening a fastener. A no no for torque wrenches.

• Like 2