BarE

Hard time deciding between 2020 FE350s to FE350 off road

Hi All,

I am living in SF bay, California.

Just got off the phone with a couple of dealerships regarding the 2020 Husqvarna FE350s and FE350 off road.

Price wise there is a G difference. (Street legal is $13,400 OTD, while the off road version is $12,400. the off road has a $750 MNF incentive, and a lower registration cost)

I own now a Yamaha TT-R230 2019, which is way too weak for me.

I am 180lbs 5"7', and I am currently riding 100% off road, and haul my bike. nearest place to ride is ~1 hour drive minium.

The $1000 diff is no issue, however I'm afraid that I might invest on the street legal version without a real need.

Especially since the off road version is more geared to off road riding. (Tires, map and traction control...)

On the other hand, I don't want to have second thoughts later about not buying the street legal, for even the very few cases I would want to drive on the road.

(as far as I understand, California doesn't allow to register the FE350 off road)

Any insight would be greatly appreciated...

Cheers,

Posted (edited)

I am not familiar with how strict california registration rules are (but have heard horror stories here).  I think you need to decide if you MUST have a plated bike or not.  If so, I think your question is answered - the FE350s for a no fuss registration process and invest in some new tires more appropriate for hard off-road riding.  Tires are pretty cheap in the grand scheme of things.    

If you do NOT need a plated bike (or you figure out a way to plate a basic FE 350 in California), I'd go with the non-S version.  You'll save $1,000 OTD and won't want to immediately buy new tires.  You could likely take your time sourcing what light kit (brake, turn signals, etc) you want to put on it and then get it registered.  As you stated, you also get the map switch with traction control with the non-S version.  I think that sounds pretty trick, but in reality I've heard the factory maps and the factory traction control aren't that impressive. (full disclosure - I don't yet own a FE 350.)

Either way with the FE 350 or the FE 350S...and depending on your desire to tinker with the bike to improve it...you'll be spending some time and money on uncorking it.  Some sort of tuner, exhaust/end cap mods, etc.  But that's not REQUIRED.  

Edited by High_Country

I am not sure but heard that you can not plate the non s version in california anymore.  I just bought a 501s and loving it.  I live in Millbrae, so might be close to you, and have been ridding around the towns and its been fun.  Who did you call? If needed you can always plate it in neveda.

I own a 2020 FE 350 (non-S).   I ride it exclusively off road.  There is almost no difference in the maps, so I wouldn't use that as a decision factor.   Tires are personal preference, so that isn't a major factor either.   You can make the S model into a Non-S pretty easily.  Emission wise, they have the same stuff.  Same intake reeds.  The S has an additional screen on the exhaust end cap that can be removed with a little work.  Or just go with an aftermarket end cap (but it will be louder).   

If I had to do it over again, I would have bought the S version purely for resale.  Someday you'll be selling the bike and having a legitimate title and tag expands the potential buyer pool. 

• Like 2

You won't want to ride 1+ hours on the road to the trails, ride the trails all day, then ride an hour back, if that is what you are thinking. Trust me.

3 hours ago, Chris Mcdonald said:

I am not sure but heard that you can not plate the non s version in california anymore.  I just bought a 501s and loving it.  I live in Millbrae, so might be close to you, and have been ridding around the towns and its been fun.  Who did you call? If needed you can always plate it in neveda.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the info. I called The Motor Cafe in Sunnyvale and Gilroy Motorcycle Center

Thanks jimredilla. good stuff. regarding the re-sale, you are right. the 'S' will have more re-sale options.

Thanks woods-rider. I'm hauling, driving with these bike + nobies on the freeway is a pain.

OP~ I'd say, "Get the plated bike."

Here's why~

California, more and more, are restricting non-plated motorcycles on OHV areas. Going plated offers you access to the most areas legally. 

Since there's not really much difference between the 2 bikes, I'd get the plated.

Also, the prices you were quoted are crazy high. Would a 2019 model suffice?

Also, does Husky still have their ".99%" finance incentive going until 30MAR? (On 2019's.)

Have you shopped cycletrader for dealerships that have better pricing?

Reason I asked is that's how I saved when I bought my 701, last year.  

I trailered 150 miles away for my Husky, and it was worth it. (Even tho the return trip sucked from Los Angeles to Sandy Eggo!)

EDIT~ I just perused cycletrader for your 350S. Looks like the 2020 models are MSRP.

However, if you can live with a 2019...the dealer in Moorpark has 350S bikes for $8688 + T & L. 

Also, this bike qualifies for the .99% financing incentive, as long as YOU do too! LOL!

You know, if the price diff was only $150-$200, then I'd say get the 2020. (Figure 2021's are on the boat as I type this.)

But, when it's a $4000 difference, that buys a hell of a lot of tires...

Edited by NORTY
  • Like 1

Look at all the quarantine closures. Dirt bike trail heads are becoming a thing of the past. Drive 45 minutes and then dual sport the last 15. Otherwise, can’t ride anymore. 

The FE is green sticker. The FX is not. You can ride the FE 12 months a year in CA. The FX you can ride October-April.

1 hour ago, 7raptor said:

The FE is green sticker. The FX is not. You can ride the FE 12 months a year in CA. The FX you can ride October-April.

And the State is making the green/red sticker program a thing of the past in 2022. I seriously doubt that means you'll be able to "plate" any previous red/green sticker bikes. Knowing the way the State is, we'll have to move to enjoy the great outdoors...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NORTY said:

And the State is making the green/red sticker program a thing of the past in 2022. I seriously doubt that means you'll be able to "plate" any previous red/green sticker bikes. Knowing the way the State is, we'll have to move to enjoy the great outdoors...

Hence the reason to get the FE is because you need a green sticker and/or need dual sport options. I live in Socal, where it’s too hot during summer to ride anyway...so I scored a deal on a FX350. 

15 hours ago, NORTY said:

OP~ I'd say, "Get the plated bike."

Here's why~

California, more and more, are restricting non-plated motorcycles on OHV areas. Going plated offers you access to the most areas legally. 

Since there's not really much difference between the 2 bikes, I'd get the plated.

Also, the prices you were quoted are crazy high. Would a 2019 model suffice?

Also, does Husky still have their ".99%" finance incentive going until 30MAR? (On 2019's.)

Have you shopped cycletrader for dealerships that have better pricing?

Reason I asked is that's how I saved when I bought my 701, last year.  

I trailered 150 miles away for my Husky, and it was worth it. (Even tho the return trip sucked from Los Angeles to Sandy Eggo!)

EDIT~ I just perused cycletrader for your 350S. Looks like the 2020 models are MSRP.

However, if you can live with a 2019...the dealer in Moorpark has 350S bikes for $8688 + T & L. 

Also, this bike qualifies for the .99% financing incentive, as long as YOU do too! LOL!

You know, if the price diff was only $150-$200, then I'd say get the 2020. (Figure 2021's are on the boat as I type this.)

But, when it's a $4000 difference, that buys a hell of a lot of tires...

Hi Norty,

ye, at some point I figured the 2020 FE350s is too expensive for my once a month trial riding.

Thanks for all your tips and inquiries.

I found a sweat deal on a 2019 FE250, and just got it today...!

I bought it from NORCAL at Sacramento. Great guys.

$7600 before, $9400 OTD. This is $4,000 diff from the 2020 FE350s

Already changed the tires to Metzler MC360, and I'm ready to hit the trail.

Hopefully I will manage with the seat height, as I'm only 5'7"

• Like 2