Jump to content
DontGiveUpTheShip

Good price for '13 DRZ400S?

Recommended Posts

New user here, buying my first dual sport today if everything looks good. Sorry if there is a megathread like this, I haven't seen one though.

2013 DRZ-400S with ~5,500 miles for $3650. Few aftermarket parts- lowering links (I'm 5' 8" so this works out), fender eliminator, "reverse folding shorty levers" (I'm guessing that means the front brake and clutch levers?)

Can't put pictures up at the moment, but it looks clean and well-maintained. Bought by an older guy, in his 70s, who wanted to try off-roading and realized his body didn't care for it. Said he has owned motorcycles his whole life and seemed knowledgeable about a lot of different bikes.


Going to look at it today! Anything to look for specifically on DRZs used other than signs of drops?

Edited by DontGiveUpTheShip
hit enter too soon
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Photos would help. $3,650 could be great, or it could be a red flag. Post some photos when you get it home and we'll tell you where you went right or wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Gary in NJ said:

Photos would help. $3,650 could be great, or it could be a red flag. Post some photos when you get it home and we'll tell you where you went right or wrong.

Best I can do at the moment, from the ad.

imagejpeg_2~2.jpg

imagejpeg_1_01~2.jpg

imagejpeg_0_02~2.jpg

imagejpeg_3~2.jpg

Edited by DontGiveUpTheShip

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You don't say where the bike is located, but it does look like there has been some riding done and he did install full knob tires. I wonder what is missing in the pics? Bike looks stock for the most part and it's pretty hard to kill a DRZ in 5.5k miles, even if it only has the oil changed at one or two intervals.

Has he mentioned any other mods or maintenance done?

Be careful with the title, of course, if that's the owner pictured I'd wouldn't trust him at all.

Edited by shuswap1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, shuswap1 said:

You don't say where the bike is located, but it does look like there has been some riding done and he did install full knob tires. Pretty hard to kill a DRZ in 5.5k miles, even if it only has the oil changed at one or two intervals.

Be careful with the title, of course, if that's the owner pictured I'd wouldn't trust him at all.

Upstate NY. Most used DRZs here are either sub-$2500 pieces of crap that have been run into the ground or pretty much brand new off the dealer floor, not a lot of middle ground.

Yes he installed new tires, and has the stocks he said he'd give me as well. Any aftermarket mods he made (mentioned in original post) he said he also has the stock parts he will give me if I want to revert back. Which to me is a good sign, means they weren't wrecked in a drop/crash. He just chose to change some things.

And no can't trust an owner that is a squid like that! Not even a helmet smdh

Edited by DontGiveUpTheShip

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The price is reasonable then, if the motor starts well, doesn't fog the area with smoke and shifts OK. If you want to ride it off-road, which is what I do, there are a few easy mods to make the bike run better and ward off damage from drops. That info is easily found hereabouts.

That owner would never believe helmet laws applied to him, just to the other squids.

I'll never sell my 2003 S model DRZ, the places it has taken me........and continues to take me.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All 4 photos look like they were taken a different times. If the bike still presents in that condition (ridden, but taken care of) and it runs well, then yes I'd pay $3,650 for it. Of course I'd try to get it for $3,000...he's not going to sell it during the zombie apocalypse ya know. If it comes with the cat...offer $2,000.

I notice there isn't a license plate. Does he still have the title so you can get tags for it if you want to be able to ride it on the street?  If the bike will be used for just off road...there are better bikes for $3,650.

Edited by Gary in NJ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just bought a '13 back in December with 1600 miles. Yoshi pipe, and 3x3 mod, and dealer re-jetted, the rest all stock. I paid $4300.

Turns out it wasnt re-jetted-lol. But the good thing is that it runs even better now.

 

Yours seems like a really good price. Of course I'd try to get it cheaper.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Gary in NJ said:

All 4 photos look like they were taken a different times. If the bike still presents in that condition (ridden, but taken care of) and it runs well, then yes I'd pay $3,650 for it. Of course I'd try to get it for $3,000...he's not going to sell it during the zombie apocalypse ya know. If it comes with the cat...offer $2,000.

I notice there isn't a license plate. Does he still have the title so you can get tags for it if you want to be able to ride it on the street?  If the bike will be used for just off road...there are better bikes for $3,650.

That's just a week span of time in Upstate NY, we can have 4 seasons in a day, let alone a week.

I talked him down a bit from the price. It came with A LOT of aftermarket parts that weren't in the ad- aftermarket exhaust, aftermarket chain guard, brush guards for the levers, reverse folding levers, lowering links, sets of tires, new oil filter, new air filter, fender eliminator, etc......on top of that he's giving me all of the stock stuff as well. So he wasn't willing to budge too far, but I talked him down a bit.

The license plate was only off for the pictures. He had plates on it when I got there. He has it currently registered & inspected and it's on the road. Clean title.

I told him to keep the cat.

Edited by DontGiveUpTheShip

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, tomboyjr said:

I just bought a '13 back in December with 1600 miles. Yoshi pipe, and 3x3 mod, and dealer re-jetted, the rest all stock. I paid $4300.

Turns out it wasnt re-jetted-lol. But the good thing is that it runs even better now.

 

Yours seems like a really good price. Of course I'd try to get it cheaper.

Got him down a little bit! There was a A LOT of aftermarket mods (along with the collection of all the stock stuff he's giving me as well), so he wasn't too malleable on the price, but I did talk him down a little bit. See my previous comment for the list of mods. Many of those I would have done on my own (lowering links, brush guards, etc.) so it just saves me time and money from doing it myself. The thing is definitely ready for the road as is.


My first bike had an aftermarket exhaust and I asked the guy I bought it from if he re-jetted the carbs and he said "what does that mean?" 😬

Edited by DontGiveUpTheShip
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just bought a 2007 DRZ400S with < 1000 miles, looks brand new, and has about $1000 in mods done for $3600 in Texas.  Wish I had found this forum first, but it sounds like I got a good deal (I hope).  What an upgrade in power over my 2018 CRF250L, though it was still super fun to drive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congratulations on a great find. Enjoy!

Edited by Q-B
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Steven Briggs said:

I just bought a 2007 DRZ400S with < 1000 miles, looks brand new, and has about $1000 in mods done for $3600 in Texas.  Wish I had found this forum first, but it sounds like I got a good deal (I hope).  What an upgrade in power over my 2018 CRF250L, though it was still super fun to drive.

That's definitely a good deal, as long as you like the mods! Enjoy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stole it in all honesty. Upgrades after you purchase the bike are what add to the cost. A bike with farkles you like is worth every penny you don't have to pay extra for. That is why he wouldn't budge much. At 70 yrs old he never abused it and took care of it. He most certainly wouldn't buy junk and would have stayed rock solid on his price. At his age he likely wanted it to go to a good home and gave you a cut because he figured you were that guy. Most 70 yr olds don't need the money and can sit on price. He isn't stupid and knows you would have paid the asking price lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×
×
  • Create New...