Old NX125 Electrical Issues

Out riding in the boonies of southern AZ today, and my gal's old (but only 1,800 miles) 1990 Honda NX125 electrical system seemed to go out after we got back to the bikes after a couple hours hiking.  All was well before we went off on foot, but upon return, there was nothing doing with the electric stuff:  starter, headlight, horn, brakelights, ect.  Thankfully we could still bumpstart the bike with the key on, but even when running back to the house, none of the electric system (lights) was working.

Wild how even a 125 from 1990 doesn't have a kickstart, any suggestions on where the problem might be?

I probably shouldn't have posted such a question in this section of the forums, but for anyone's future reference, it turned out that the keyed ignition switch quit working.  Unfortunately I started my diagnosis on the battery end and worked downstream from there, so it took some time to find the culprit.  Without the parts on hand, I hot-wired the bike (surprisingly easy!) and put a toggle switch in line.  We're out in the boonies so needing the key to start isn't a big deal... and thankfully my girl's bike is up a cruising again.