Jump to content

'97 DR350SE Stalls with Throttle

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Hope everyone is doing well on here! I've spent my extra "at home time" working on my '97 DR350SE. I bought it back in Octoberish without realizing just how big of a project it was going to be haha After rebuilding the entire engine (it dropped a valve two owners ago), I was finally able to get it "running" last week. This whole thread has been very helpful during this process, so I've come seeking your guy's (or gals) guidance on my current issue. I've gotten it to fire up (first try actually woot! woot!), however, giving it more than just a little throttle usually leads to it stalling (see video). I've tried to be pretty particular putting everything back together and do as much by the book as I could, but here's a few additional notes:

-valves clearance has been checked and is good
-new petcock, I plugged the extra port on the carb
-new gas
-I rebuilt the carb (CV carb/street model)
   -tried the new jets and the jets that came in it, no difference in "performance"
   -Also boiled the carb to clear passages, still no difference
   -No tears in the rubber doo-hickie
-At first it would only idle with the choke on, and would die if I turned it off. This seemed to stop when I backed out the fuel screw to 2.75ish turns
-Seems to have good fuel flow from the tank, and the carb has fuel in it after it dies
-I would really like to check the fuel level in the carb, however, my carb doesn't have a nipple at the drain. It's just a hole, so I can't hook up a tube to it... 😕
   -I did my best to set the float level when rebuilding the carb

-I had to oversize the piston 1mm, would this cause a need to change the jets?

Here's a video of what's happening... I wasn't sure how videos are typically posted on here, so I just uploaded it to youtube (let me know if I should use something else):

Looking forward to hearing what everyone thinks.

Thanks,
Michael

Edited by TheGooderPlayer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Clogged idle circuit, did you confirm all the passageways in the carb body with air or carb cleaner?  Or torn rubber diaphragm on the carb slide.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did use compressed air, carb cleaner, and even boiled the carb in a pot of water before that video was taken. Since then, I ran a wire through every passage in the carburetor. However, I noticed I tore the fuel screw oring while troubleshooting, so I have not put the carb back together yet to retry it. Once I receive my new orings, I'll let you know if anything has changed. There are no tears in the rubber diaphragm that I could find.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/4/2020 at 12:33 AM, baldy110 said:

Clogged idle circuit, did you confirm all the passageways in the carb body with air or carb cleaner?  Or torn rubber diaphragm on the carb slide.

New orings, clear passages, no difference in performance. Turning the enrichner on seems to really help which makes me think it's running too lean without the enrichner. Later this evening I might try rigging something up so I can adjust the fuel screw while the bike is running and see where that gets me. 

Any other ideas?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I am big on fuel level s. I don't think it is a problem here. Lots of us have built drain plugs with a drain hose in order to drain water and verify when it is time to reset the float. I use the brass hose barbs that you can get at automotive stores or the even smaller ones you can get at hobby stores that cater to Uline fliers or fuel powered rc modelers. Just drill into the existing plug and epoxy the hose barb in. Put the hose on it and check for leaks. Those home made ones started showing up at enduros in the 70's. I picked up on it more as a racer that was fussy about how my engines worked. Put an extra foot on it and route it up to the air box and leave it. Or just get another plug off eBay etc. Yamaha sells them as a tool, since on many models it is how they give the setting specs.

Now, on why yours is not running: don't dismiss electrics just yet. My ancient sp500 seldom used, did a similar act. The sparkplug lead flunked, coil flunked with it. Changed cap to a "Sparky" that was in the tool box. Sanded the grounds off at the frame. Kicked it over.  Amazed me. My carburetor needed cleaning anyway.

Hardly explains why the enrichener helps. But keeping my mind open and eliminating things along the way keeps the frustration down.

Edited by ossagp1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

that model has twin ign pickups, check that both are to spec (donwload manual from thisoldtractor.com if you dont know how to check), could be the advance one is bad.

also worth checking the ign charging coil  just to be sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×
×
  • Create New...