i got this 2005 kx85a last Novemberish and i only paid 250 for it and he said all it needed was some clutch work. i ended up reringing and getting a gasket kit for it just to be safe and i had to replace a shifter spring. when i was assembling it i realized there was a totally different crankshaft in it and it was putting the rotor in the wrong spot so it wouldn't spark on time once i had it back together. besides the rotor keyway placement, everything was fine with the crankshaft. i just ended up getting a rotor that i think is the same year as the crankshaft so that it would theoretically work. i believe the crankshaft is from a 2009 or a 2007. note that the stator is close to the same position or even the same on the three years of the bike (2005, 2007, 2009). so what it's doing now is it runs but it bogs down in the lower end of first gear and it sounds really weak. i have to feather the throttle for a couple seconds to get it up into higher rpms. but once it's in higher rpms it runs fine and it has lots of power. but when it gets back down to lower rpms it can barely continue driving. i can get it to idle fine when it's warmed up. so i'm guessing it's timing and i've already tried to adjust the stator position but not a lot of luck. i'm not sure if it's bored out so i'll have to check because it might have the wrong size jets in the carburetor for the bore. but i doubt it is bored over. if anyone has any help i would be glad to listen:)

1 minute ago, burntvalves said:

install bigger pilot jet and raise the needle 1 clip position and see what she says. 

do you mean move the clip up to give it less fuel or up to give it less fuel? and i will order new jets tonight. i'm not too sure if it's bored out or not though.

28 minutes ago, burntvalves said:

nope, I would have said something along the lines of "move the clip up one position"

you want more fuel.  Raise the needle.  

sorry i meant move the clip up to give it less fuel or down to give it more fuel. sorry i'm a little tired right now haha. but i will try that. thank you!