Shifting when to clutch and when not

I’ve always used my clutch when shifting up and shifting down. I currently ride a crf250r 2016. From the videos I’ve watched, I’ve come to a conclusion that when shifting up use the clutch and when shifting down it’s ok to not use the clutch. Will this still wear down my transmission quicker? I’ve also heard that shifting up or down in the air is fine without the clutch because the gears should be freed up enough when your in the air. Would somebody be able to back this or share there opinion. Thanks??

1 minute ago, DEMI said:

clutch when starting and stopping, a slip here and there. No need to use it up or down, but many will argue for either/or...

Yes from what I’ve heard it’s a controversial topic. Thankyou for the advice ???

• Like 1

If I am riding a light fly wheeled bike like most mx bikes, the clutch is just there to find neutral. Heavier flywheeled rigs can be tougher on gear dogs. It probably does wear the transmission out faster. 

Let me ask you, do you keep your bike constantly or strive to keep your bike between 40 percent and 60 percent of redline?  

If you gain time and enjoy the ride more by skipping the clutch, it is kind of a trade just like working the higher end of the RPM range.

3 minutes ago, ossagp1 said:

If I am riding a light fly wheeled bike like most mx bikes, the clutch is just there to find neutral. Heavier flywheeled rigs can be tougher on gear dogs. It probably does wear the transmission out faster. 

Let me ask you, do you keep your bike constantly or strive to keep your bike between 40 percent and 60 percent of redline?  

If you gain time and enjoy the ride more by skipping the clutch, it is kind of a trade just like working the higher end of the RPM range.

I haven't been riding motocross for very long I am 16 and am doing all I can to improve because I love it to much. I’m just sort of figuring out my stile but I normally keep my bike in the 40 to 60 percent but hit the limiter every now and again say before landing a jump. So I’m guessing not using the clutch is ok I will always use it shifting up but I’m considering stopping using it when shifting down gears coming into corners and shifting in the air. Thankyou for your reply????

Most guys I know rarely use the clutch. 

If you're ripping it hard and want to upshift it's probably a good idea to give the clutch a quick blip. Downshifting? Never. Why would you? The gear box is not under tension. It clicks right in there.

Bottom line: Never when downshifting. Once in a while upshifting if you are accelerating hard. Even then you are almost certainly ok if you don't.