Calif Red Sticker restrictions

This may have been discussed earlier, but does anyone know where I can get some detailed info on dates and locations of Calif Red Sticker restricted areas? I have heard the higher elevations are ok in summer. Does CARB publish maps? For the amount of our tax money they are wasting, they should be publishing this info.

Thanks, Ron. That's exactly what I was after. You're right. There is a lot of bureaucrat speak in this small website. It basically blames us as consumers for low sales figures at the dealer. As if their arguably unnecessary actions were not the root cause.

At least Kennedy is open in summer. For anyone interested, Vipers have a play ride there 1st weekend in August at Troy overflow. I may attend even though I am just finishing up a 2 week Boy Scout trip with my sons the weekend before.

Believe it not, but a big bore 2-stroke actually puts out about that much emissions! I'm a certfied smog tech and if you don't believe it just hook up an open class 2-stroke to a smog machine; the hydro-carbons are absolutely astounding! Even the big-bore thumpers are pretty amazing.

You don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure it out; no fuel injection and no catalytic converter, my wifes Lexus ES 300 get's the same gas mileage our 400cc dirt bikes!

Originally posted by Ron in SoCal:

Here ya go:

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/offroad/ofhwymc.htm

Just remember - don't believe everything you read. This site is full of statements like "Mile-for mile, unregulated 2-stroke off-highway motorcycles create smog forming emissions equal to 118 new cars".

I don't doubt what you say, but consider the number of miles, amount of hours in operation, and sheer numbers of vehicles. Even if the hydrocarbon numbers are that high, the total emitted by dirt bikes cannot be but a fraction of 1% of that emitted by all the automobiles and trucks on the road in California. As usual, they've lost all perspective and are demonizing the wrong guys. The only reason is politics.

Can you tell I lean toward the social libertarian view? We're good guys, they should leave us alone and focus on real problems.

Yeah. I'm in HB. Anytime after July, I'll be ready to ride. In fact, if you are interested, my wife, sons, and I will be starting up again first weekend of August at the Desert Vipers playride in Kennedy Meadows. I have a few old racing buddies in the Vipers. Their playrides are great. Lots of good riders who know the area well. You are more than welcome to come up and ride with us. Let me know if you are interested at santeedakota@earthlink.net .