Hi all, for the past year I have played with the idea of getting a 250 for honing MX. Though I’m not pursuing Loretta's, I would use this bike for getting into track work and weekend MX. I have about 3 grand set aside for the new (to me) bike. For reference, I grew up riding and wrenching my own bikes in my fathers footsteps. I have 14 years of riding experience, starting with fire roads as a kid and moved on to single track and tight trails as an adult. I am 5’ 7 inches and 155 lbs fully suited. I have some track experience, but I hesitate to call it “experience” as it is mainly tagging along with friends who ride MX.  I’m an average rider but in no means an average MXer. I have a lot to learn in that department. Hopefully I can find the right tool for the job!

What bikes, and years of production, would you recommend?  

Locally, I have a Honda/Suzuki dealer I’ve grown up with so I’ve always been a little partial to red and yellow. I’ve seen a handful of 2012-2014 RMZ 250s with low hours. The Honda’s I see are between 2010-2014 and seem a bit more expensive then the Suzuki’s, but still not unreasonable. 

Thanks

Edited by currymoto
Grammar

I'd say ride red but that's just me. For the average person both red and yellow  are great. All that matters is that you have a bike to hit the track with. Careful buying a 250 four stroke used they are usually time bombs. Definatly dont go cheap, you almost always end up spending more money. Just because it costs more doesnt mean it's not a pos tho. Just be careful, if u've done wrenching u'll know a pos when u see it. 

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Get a 2 stroke.

tons of bikes out there in your price range, the newer, the cleaner, the better.  The YZ platform is a good bet.  As said above, tons of parts and support, and the bikes haven’t changed much for many years.  02 or newer, they are good and reliable bikes for what you want to do. 

Edited by Poldies

It's hard to suggest a used 250f, for what is like a nearly new rider. I can applaud your plan to support a local business. How mechanically and patient did you say you were?

Edited by ossagp1

5 hours ago, ossagp1 said:

It's hard to suggest a used 250f, for what is like a nearly new rider. I can applaud your plan to support a local business. How mechanically and patient did you say you were?

Carb and suspension rebuilds, clutches, just the basics really. I’ve maintained my own bikes and bought and sold enough to know a pos when I see one. 

I am thinking that you probably don't see through cases any better than I do. I have gone quite a bit deeper into one of these. Last screw and bearing so to speak. I am not sure I would always spot a POS. You may have me beat there, but if you buy one don t be surprised with what your final cost is six mos to a year ?

Edited by ossagp1

24 minutes ago, ossagp1 said:

I am thinking that you probably don't see through cases any better than I do. I have gone quite a bit deeper into one of these. Last screw and bearing so to speak. I am not sure I would always spot a POS. You may have me beat there, but if you buy one don t be surprised with what your final cost is six mos to a year ?

No you are right about that! I didn’t mean to sound arrogant. I’m saying I’m not an emotional buyer. It’s usually the 06 250R that has been ridden around grandpas farm for the last 10 years with factory oil. And you wonder why it won’t start?  I won’t be flipping this one.. I will be patient for a good clean bike. 

Edited by currymoto
I

Yeah. New graphics and original swing arm and suspension bushings. 

I always plan on complete top and bottom ends and since the cases are getting split, I am doing trans bearings and shift forks at least. I make offers and get accepted enough times to keep doing it unless a shop I recognize had it apart in the last ten days and I can verify it.

You are wise to leave the emotion out.?

You will do fine.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Bumping! let’s talk durability with the 250fs. MXA has an article mentioning 100 hrs on the stock top end on the YZ250F, that’s pretty nuts. What experience have you all with RMZ and CRF in terms of durability? I’ve basically decided to go with the best deal on the cleanest low hour bike I can find but I would hate to get out there and start learning MX only to need a new top end 5 hours in. Lots of bikes I see say low hours but they’ve got 50 hours on the clock, Im thinking that’s probably about rebuild time anyway. 

2 hours ago, DEATH_INC. said:

With a 250f buy something that leaves enough in the budget to do a full rebuild. If you're mechanically competent and can do the labor yourself it shouldn't cost too much, and you'll then have a solid base to start from. Even the cleanest bike may have had half the services it should of had.

Yeah I like the idea of having a safety net.

currymoto~ 

See if you can enroll in an offroad riding class. This would help you learn correct technique, using their bikes. This will also allow you to "try on" a few different bikes. All in the same day. 

19 hours ago, NORTY said:

currymoto~ 

See if you can enroll in an offroad riding class. This would help you learn correct technique, using their bikes. This will also allow you to "try on" a few different bikes. All in the same day. 

I’ll look into that. 

What do 250 four strokes sell for in your area? My area is all over the place. Lots of Kawis and zooks sell for 3k. Honda’s for 35. Yammys for 4K And that’s usually with about 50 hrs and maybe a new top end. 

usually 09-12 on the Honda’s and the kawis and Suzuki’s are usually newer they don’t hold their value as good in my area

Edited by currymoto