B1akebm

Engine bogs past 1/4 throttle - 1993 DR650SE

Posted (edited)

I just picked up this bike yesterday. She’s in really good shape for her age. I rode it basically all day yesterday with no problems. Later last night I was cruising around and I suddenly lost power when I was getting on the highway. It seemed like the engine was getting starved of fuel. The bike would idle just fine, but anything past 1/2 throttle just bogs the engine down and it backfires really bad. I was able to limp it home at 30mph. I pulled the carb, removed the jets, and shot carb cleaner through them. The inside of the carb looked really clean, but I thought this would fix it. Any ideas? I’m thinking electrical, but I’d better give the carb a better clean first. It seems odd that it would run fine all day then suddenly have this happen.

Edited by B1akebm

Just cleaned the carb again. This time I soaked it. Bike starts up and idles perfectly, but does the same thing when I give it throttle.

I solved the problem in a weird way. The air filter that came on the bike was falling apart. I grabbed a similar UNI filter and threw it on. Bogging is gone. This leads me to believe that it’s jetted a little lean. The only way I can get it to not spitter/bog is to run with an oiled filter.

Yep, just added that the filter was oiled to reduce any confusion.

I’m going to try a Dyno jet kit and see if I can get anywhere with that.

• Like 1

On 4/24/2020 at 9:54 AM, B1akebm said:

Is your airbox cut open, or stock ?

On 4/24/2020 at 9:54 AM, B1akebm said:

Get a JD (James Dean) kit if you can. I think they're better, DynoJet instructions are not the greatest. 

I actually already installed the DynoJet kit. Haven’t run the bike yet. Went with the 155 main jet

14 minutes ago, B1akebm said:

I actually already installed the DynoJet kit. Haven’t run the bike yet. Went with the 155 main jet

From my past experiences with DynoJet, they're spot-on with the needle setting. Buy way off on the main jet.

I'd start with the stock Mikuni main jet. Did the instructions say clip#4 for the needle ?

15 minutes ago, B1akebm said:

Yep, clip #4. I think stock jet was a 138

Ok, and did the instructions say to 'omit' the plastic spacer? I filed a flat spot on mine & re-installed it on the needle.

I did the DynoJet kit too, but mine's a 2020. Not sure how different they are. Hope it works out for you.👍

Posted (edited)

Bike is running again. Had to wait on some gaskets which took forever. Anyway she runs great at mid-full throttle but the idle is super erratic. There’s also a dead spot right when you open the throttle, then it kinda lurches and has tons of power. When I go to adjust the air/fuel screw, as I turn it in the idle seems to go up, not down. Started at 2 turns out, doesn’t seem like there’s any good setting for it. I should also mention that when I let off the throttle, the revs hang for a bit then it settles back down to idle in about 2 seconds.

Edited by B1akebm

Turning fuel screw In = leaner. Try 3 turns out? Clogged pilot jet? If all that checks out, might try 1 size up on pilot jet.

Posted (edited)

you said you think its electrical at the beginning but no idea if you ever checked ignition wise. Would check the CDI

Edited by turboguzzi

3 turns out on the screw gives the same results. Would the rev hang and erratic idle be caused by a lean pilot setting?

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, B1akebm said:

3 turns out on the screw gives the same results. Would the rev hang and erratic idle be caused by a lean pilot setting?

Yes, try +1 size pilot.

Edited by Diverdown