Beta 430 much heavier feel than the 390?

7 minutes ago, PatricTheRider said:

Yo wondering how 430 feels comparing to 390 in feeling etc. Is it much heavier/harder to control? I know they weigh the same etc just wondering how the handling on the 430 feels. Havn't find much answers on that question / salute

I don’t think this exactly answers your question, but might indirectly give you some info!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PatricTheRider said:

Thx preciate it not much info there on this, thx again tho

if you are looking for more detail then that post I suggest you start doing a better job at searching. It has been talked about alot on here, i recall a handful of time in the last month alone I have read about it. 

Keep in mind all the models are so close varying levels of gradation happens. So it's easier to compare the extremes 350 vs 480 to better understand. A jump from a 390 to a 430 will be less noticeable for a novice rider who only does street riding and never plans to drop their bike if they do get on the dirt 😉

Model choice is all about what you are trying to do. Do you plan to ride goat trails all the time or are you planning to hit asphalt and wide open graded dirt roads. 

What terrain you plan to ride should drive the bike choice. The 390 and 430 are compromises that try to fine tune that bias and offer something just left and right of middle if the 350 is goat trails and the 480 is asphalt and dirt roads. (ignoring the 2t line up to keep this simple)

It would have been more straight forward in choice if Beta just made a 250, 350, and 450. but instead they split the middle.

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

1 hour ago, rharr said:

if you are looking for more detail then that post I suggest you start doing a better job at searching. It has been talked about alot on here, i recall a handful of time in the last month alone I have read about it. 

Keep in mind all the models are so close varying levels of gradation happens. So it's easier to compare the extremes 350 vs 480 to better understand. A jump from a 390 to a 430 will be less noticeable for a novice rider who only does street riding and never plans to drop their bike if they do get on the dirt 😉

Model choice is all about what you are trying to do. Do you plan to ride goat trails all the time or are you planning to hit asphalt and wide open graded dirt roads. 

What terrain you plan to ride should drive the bike choice. The 390 and 430 are compromises that try to fine tune that bias and offer something just left and right of middle if the 350 is goat trails and the 480 is asphalt and dirt roads. (ignoring the 2t line up to keep this simple)

It would have been more straight forward in choice if Beta just made a 250, 350, and 450. but instead they split the middle.

Just wanted a yes or no answer on the question. Been reading everything here, reviews and couldnt find which led to me asking. Nothing wrong:)

Just normal riding in woods, turns here and there. Will the 430 feel much heavier when turning and all that? Just wanted to know that, sry not replying to all u said , took it in my head anyway so not wasted! / salute 

Edited by PatricTheRider

I have a 390rrs. my buddy bought a 430rrs. maybe my imagination, but his 430 feels quite a bit heavier to me. I like to ride single track so in the tight switchbacks I can feel the heavier rotation of the engine. I also have my bike set up with softer suspension for my weight so plushness contributes to feeling more comfortable. But I will admit, the 430 has more umph to it. If I were going to do more fire road or street riding I would probably recommend the 430. but for the tight trails and a few street miles to get to them I like my 390

Edited by randysoo
  • Helpful 1

13 hours ago, PatricTheRider said:

Yo wondering how 430 feels comparing to 390 in feeling etc. Is it much heavier/harder to control? I know they weigh the same etc just wondering how the handling on the 430 feels. Havn't find much answers on that question / salute

Not really. Both turn great in tight or open terrain. Ridden both 2020’s. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, PatricTheRider said:

Just wanted a yes or no answer on the question. Been reading everything here, reviews and couldnt find which led to me asking. Nothing wrong:)

Just normal riding in woods, turns here and there. Will the 430 feel much heavier when turning and all that? Just wanted to know that, sry not replying to all u said , took it in my head anyway so not wasted! / salute 

It’s really not a yes or no answer to me . Easy answer is 390 but it’s close and I’d choose 430 for more power . It depends on what kind of trails. .  .. and you. Both are great and handle great !!  and really it’s a little different for everyone depending on each person’s preference. Try seeing if you can find a guy to ride his bike. It’s hard now though. I know that doesn’t say too much but what’s your preference? More or less power??

• Helpful 1

6 hours ago, kawagumby said:

I had a '17 390 and a '19 430.  The 430 felt more flickable due to its' livelier engine.  I enjoyed the 430 more when in a jamm'n mood for sure and I didn't feel it traded anything off in tight ST either.  Static weight I couldn't tell any difference.

At the Beta demo day (in 2019) I felt that both bikes had very similar torque off idle, but the 430 spooled up (revved) noticeably quicker. I couldn't tell much difference in weight,  even though some can "feel" the larger bore engine mass of the 430. To me it's more of a which engines character do I like better for my majority use cases.

• Like 2
  • Helpful 2

26 minutes ago, MartyMOOSE said:

Lots here are comparing the 19's and earlier the 19 and 20 390's are very different note sure on the 430 the 20 390 spins up much faster than the 19. 

No one said a  specific year. Still different years might blur the lines even more. Really everyone is different and goes to Beta demos or has ridden different year Betas and preferred different bikes. Everyone has their favorites. Really between a 390 and a 430? It’s just a little different and one can go either way choosing. 

• Helpful 1

4 hours ago, MartyMOOSE said:

Lots here are comparing the 19's and earlier the 19 and 20 390's are very different note sure on the 430 the 20 390 spins up much faster than the 19. 

Was not planning to get this deep in the weeds, but I specifically pointed out my demo day was 2019 because of the dual fuel injection on the RR (and not on the RRS) for that year model. I bought the 390RR for a number of reasons,  but the dual injectors was one of the more significant ones in my mind for that year.

Do the dual injectors improve response? IDK, my initial impression of the 2019 390RRS was just ok (could have been that specific bike) but it seemed the 390RR spun up a bit faster with juicy linear torque. Does it make a difference? Factually IDK.

For 2020, my understanding is that both RE and RRS bikes have dual FI, so its likely  a non-factor. The 430 is more of a revver than as stated before, and feels linear while having good low end as well.

The 430 power advantage over the 390 seems most noted in the upper rpms and the fact that you get there quicker. If you like to tractor around and lug tall gears through trails or single track, the 390 may work better for your style. Hard to go wrong with either one. 

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Hey guys thx for ur comments! All read twice, noted and appreciated:)

On 4/23/2020 at 12:41 AM, randysoo said:

I have a 390rrs. my buddy bought a 430rrs. maybe my imagination, but his 430 feels quite a bit heavier to me. I like to ride single track so in the tight switchbacks I can feel the heavier rotation of the engine. I also have my bike set up with softer suspension for my weight so plushness contributes to feeling more comfortable. But I will admit, the 430 has more umph to it. If I were going to do more fire road or street riding I would probably recommend the 430. but for the tight trails and a few street miles to get to them I like my 390

Ah i see! Yeah that will be me to use the bike everywhere, little more street than a few miles etc. As much street as in offroad but most offroad ofcourse. Nice with that umph on road as u said i think it will be: