Oil Again

If you do a search through the forum you will find oil is a well discussed topic

Lots of people are very happy with bellray.

But there are more leaning to silcoline and mobile1

As for changing just do it like a regular full change with filter

Just change it very frequently ,Bull dust gets in everything

It should be ok for the summer months. I switched to Silkolene after reading burneds comments. I really like the stuff. I never felt a smoother tranny in my life. I would still put the red cap in my Goldwing if I hadn't sold it but mainly because I put 79,000 on it with that. I wouldn't switch after that long. I will say one thing try full synthetic you won't regret it at all and your motor will love you for it. prairiedawg :awww:?

they say(they university), to use a blend for break-in. full synth is too slippery, that's what they say. i started with castrol 20/50, 'cause it was cheap. i know lots of guys who swear by mobil red cap. i sure like the way that motul works. looks like i'll be looking for bulk discounts.

If its stinking hot and as dusty as hell id change it after a hard days ride

If your just cruising around then 1000k is ok

Is that reasonable? Seriously? Changing the oil after 1 day of hard dusty riding sounds pretty overkill to me. I think the color of the oil tells a lot. If the oil starts getting to a dark brown, its time for a change. ? I could be wrong, what do you guys think? :awww:

I tend to by things and keep them for a long time, so frequent oil changes are a grate way to extend an engines life. You really need to see the were difference in two engines to appreciate the difference Clean oil makes.

The Manual I received with my bike seas I should change it every 60 hours or 6000 km

But more frequently in dusty or WOT conditions. Pleas ask you mechanic.

So how often you change it is pretty much up to you

Just remember that to make oil look brown you need to Bern it and dissolve a couple of table spoons of dirt and carbon in it.

Well, I see what you are saying, but it just sounds like an oil change after one day of hard dusty riding is a little overkill. I don't think oil can get broken down and that dirty that quick. Another thing to think about thats equally as important is the air filter. Sucking in dirty air can shorten your engine life pretty quick ?. Changing the oil after every ride wont hurt your bike, but maybe your wallet. I change my oil after about 4-6 rides. I think if you change your oil, and clean your air filter fairly regularly you should be alright.

• 2 weeks later...

With synthetic you don't have to worry about it breaking down, because it doesn't break down like dino' oil. If your oil filter is working, there won't be that much particulate in the oil. Most Amsoil reps I have talked to don't even change their oil, even in diesel motors, just the oil filters. Then periodically they have the oil analyzed, which is pretty cheap to have done.

Theirs a hole lot of info in hear about oils

http://www.ibmwr.org/otech/oilreport.html#charta

Synth oil may not break down in the same way but the additive package wears out.

Then theirs the problem of cleaning the oil, the standard full flow filter is just there

To remove the rocks that can damage bearings.

Then there is the problem of fuel dilution.

Sum of your fuel will end up dissolved in your oil ,This can be a big problem for your gearbox and can be a contributing factor in gearbox failure