N.dica

Who are reputable 7x14-16 trailer manufacurers?

The MAIN information I need is who are quality, reliable, dependable manufacturers to seek out.  I can do the legwork from there.

I have searched this section and the answers to this are diffuse.  I would appreciate links to proper threads or knowledgable input from experienced owners.

I am thinking I am needing a solid, reputable 7x12-16' maximum, enclosed, likely V-nose trailer.

The max load I will be hauling will be 3 adult size dirt bikes, and 1 DR650 + tools, fuel and parts, OR loading it with a king size bed and other personal items when moving house. 

I have not yet quantified my overall load weight maximum, but I can divide weight by multiple trips, so generalities are all that are needed at this time.

The trailer will be pulled on interstate, and the truck doing the work is a GMC Sierra 1500 V-8 5.3L Gas, NOT diesel fueled system.

Apart from interstate travel, it would be nice if the trailer could also be taken into the mountains on dirt roads to access base camp sites for dirt bike excursions. But, if the interstate travel purposing collides with dirt road camp site access as far as what id need in a trailer, Interstate would be more important of the two uses.

The smaller and more efficient trailer for the purpose would be better than a large all-encompassing trailer if possible.

Thank you for any responses ahead of time!

WW trailers.

All Steel, All welded.  No pop Rivets.  

HD as hell.  Solid, tows great and if you get the 8 lug axle you have enough ground clearance for off road.  Ask me how I know.

20150521_171114.jpg.2037fc730d16dda680f540c14f7d020a.jpg

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

1 minute ago, MVI said:

WW trailers.

All Steel, All welded.  No pop Rivets.  

HD as hell.  Solid, tows great and if you get the 8 lug axle you have enough ground clearance for off road.  Ask me how I know

What size is yours?

Awesome- Thank you very much.  I cant find many details on the WW website for something like yours. Would you mind if I asked you what yours cost?

WW makes them custom to each order

• 6'8' X 14 Cargo, with V nose
  • Ramp Door, 5000#, with cable assist
  • 2 ramp flaps
  • LED package
  • 18" longer tongue, for a generator set
  • 2x dome lights
  • 2x 6,000" axles with 8 lug wheels
  • Hot wire down center, toggle switch
  • Recessed Cargo latch on Door

Then I added recessed L track X 3, LED lights inside and out, Spare tire, Epoxy painted floor and two big bike racks, but you can easily get 4 dirt bike in it

All in a little over $10,000.

1039867314_ScreenHunter_1740Apr_2413_37.jpg.660cd816122688962b9a18a65d368961.jpg         923522254_ScreenHunter_1742Apr_2413_39.jpg.a5b9f076cc28e28ff3bb829fa3520d28.jpg

1900652656_ScreenHunter_1741Apr_2413_37.jpg.4b170787cca57a636a5a6efd75bf03a0.jpg

Edited by MVI
  • Helpful 1

Do you need a 12,000 capacity trailer like a WW trailer? That trailer is pretty extreme. I've seen what happens to all steel horse trailers and not just the floor from horse piss. Anywhere their is a seam or a weld is a rust point down the road. I'd bet empty that trailer weighs close 3000 lbs. That 5.3 needs some decent brakes and helper springs or it will suffer on a longer road trips. You need to figure what your cargo load is going to be and then add another 20% because you always go bigger. Check which axle builder is used on the trailer. I opened up my wheels and found all the bearings were proudly stamped CHINA. 16" on center floor joist spacing, 3/4" plywood not MDF on the floor. Marine grade if you can get it. Torsion axles. There is lots to consider. like has been said, Haulmark, Wells Cargo and Featherlite are all good brands. I use a Universal Trailer that is built locally. I have had it for 15 years. It's a little faded but works fine for me. Really, there isn't a whole lot that can go wrong with these trailers and maintenance for them is minimal. I think my tongue jack can use some lubing but that's about it. 

• Helpful 1

Yep. Steel has some real disadvantages. And when it comes to flooring, 16" ctrs and  DEMAND PRESSURE TREATED,,,not just treated. If they balk go to another builder. If in a wet or high humidity climate the pressure treated will triple the life. 

• Like 1

I’m not sure if there’s a dealer near you, because the company isn’t that large. But Legend Premium Trailers out of Michigan makes an awesome aluminum trailer. Depending on budget, they have multiple models. But they’re all, all aluminum and fully welded. They built them to hold up to all the crap Michigan and the other states up there put on their roads. I had a 7x17 (actually a 7x12 with a 5 foot V) and it pulled great behind my old Avalanche.  My father has had one of their higher level 7x19 trailers for 9 years and never had an issue. 

• Like 1

On 4/27/2020 at 1:47 AM, SMarquez said:

Do you need a 12,000 capacity trailer like a WW trailer? That trailer is pretty extreme. I've seen what happens to all steel horse trailers and not just the floor from horse piss. Anywhere their is a seam or a weld is a rust point down the road. I'd bet empty that trailer weighs close 3000 lbs. That 5.3 needs some decent brakes and helper springs or it will suffer on a longer road trips. You need to figure what your cargo load is going to be and then add another 20% because you always go bigger. Check which axle builder is used on the trailer. I opened up my wheels and found all the bearings were proudly stamped CHINA. 16" on center floor joist spacing, 3/4" plywood not MDF on the floor. Marine grade if you can get it. Torsion axles. There is lots to consider. like has been said, Haulmark, Wells Cargo and Featherlite are all good brands. I use a Universal Trailer that is built locally. I have had it for 15 years. It's a little faded but works fine for me. Really, there isn't a whole lot that can go wrong with these trailers and maintenance for them is minimal. I think my tongue jack can use some lubing but that's about it. 

You are spot on, not everyone needs a commercial quality trailer nor a capacity like I have.  You can buy a 10k # rated WW.

My WW trailer is now over 5 years old, no rust on the seams, no floor rot of any kind, and it gets used.  It has high quality Automate grade Paint, GM90 Grey Metallic color code, WW will paint custom for you at no added charge.

As a Commercial HD trailer, it weights 3600# empty, and but has a load rating of 12,000# w/torsion axles, not everyone needs that, but it does tow smoothly with a 6.6 Duramax, so no problem there. 

I will agree some of the other steel trailers do rust at the seems, etc.,  Example is a Cargo Mate steel cargo trailer, they cost less, and you get what you pay for.  Also the their paint is a standard white that gets chalky after time, and nowhere near true automotive grade paint.  I also know the cheap $3500 alum cargo trailers with square roof lines leak and twist. 

If you go alum, fine a trailer with rounded edges for the roof lines,  like the Wells Cargo Premium below, those are call Premium for a reason.

884462760_ScreenHunter_1782Apr_3010_37.jpg.be04ff8a90f6201be9ddb3a2865c6c78.jpg

Edited by MVI
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

I wish I had saved my money for 2 reasons. One, to go bigger than 6 x 12 and two, to go to an aluminum trailer. Mine is a flat roof but hasn't leaked in 15 years.

I pulled an all steel 3 horse slant trailer. I was a heavy SOB empty.

Edited by SMarquez
  • Like 2

there are a lot of high quality  enclosed trailers out there but many are not widely distributed across the country

Featherlight , InTech,  Wells Cargo are all good brands, but even companies like Pace and Haulmark make different grades of trailers (economy vs premium) 

Knowing what you're looking for is half the battle

• Like 3

I had a single axle custom Wells, and now have a double axle LE LOOK. Didn’t go for the highest quality one just need a box to move. 7x16 with an extra 4” overhead for $4,800 OTD was a perfect match for my pocket and Tacoma towing. The quality on the low budget LOOK is actually pretty good. I went ahead and sealed the underside with AllWeather spray, and painted the interior floor with garage floor sealer. Added a bunch of floor and wall tie downs, and it works perfectly for hauling anything. Shes been back and forth to the AZ/CA house and to UT and back with bikes and gear. For the price, it’s a winner. 

• Helpful 1