M E T A L     A C I D

Ok Red Riders, lets see some Elsinores, Red all the way!

One i restored for my old Honda boss - b4 and after

Yes i know the number plate isnt correct :D

But he didnt want to spend much money on it

So i just did what i could on a budget

CR125-81.JPG.058c1d81b029d268af3453f8cdc4d4ad.JPG922538050_Picture029.jpg.7811ff8eab239956c3ca00046f903203.jpg

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, S.O.A.N.Z said:

One i restored for my old Honda boss - b4 and after

Yes i know the number plate isnt correct :D

But he didnt want to spend much money on it

So i just did what i could on a budget

CR125-81.JPG.058c1d81b029d268af3453f8cdc4d4ad.JPG922538050_Picture029.jpg.7811ff8eab239956c3ca00046f903203.jpg

Nice budget build, and the cool thing is you can visit it when you want. Andre Malherbe had a front number similar on his works Honda, so you are not way off, great job!

• Like 2

Maybe it's just because I'm old but I like the look and character of 1980 and older bikes better than any new one. 

• Like 6

Had a '81 cr450. Holy cow that powerband scared me. But it sure was fun.

• Like 4

I owned this bike once. Needless to say, I didn't know any different. It sure has a S#i‡ reputation. But, damn, it looks cool!!

1981 <a href='https://thumpertalk.com/link/click/4521/' rel='nofollow' data-ipsHover-target='https://thumpertalk.com/index.php?app=autolink&module=links&controller=content&id=4521' data-ipsHover target='_blank' rel='noopener' data-autoLink>Honda</a> CR450R.jpg

• Like 4

I had the second 1974 CR125 Elsinore in the state of Texas.  I bought Preston Petty red plastic, had automotive paint color-matched and shot the whole thing with a quality finish.  When everybody else was still riding silver-tankers, I showed up at the track with my Marty Smith replica and everyone just freaked out.  

Later on I had a 1979 CR250 with DG swingarm and Fox Air Shox.  That thing was scary fast.  Friends used to call it the "10-second Honda."   I only ever let two other guys ride it, and they both looped it within 10 seconds.  Still have six Hondas, but the old ones bring the best memories.

1974 CR125 sand dunes.JPG

Red 1974 CR125 crater.JPG

Red 1974 CR125 crater jump.JPG

Red 1974 CR125 crater wheelie.JPG

1979 CR250.jpg

matt 250 berm.jpg

1979 CR250 Borderland downhill 110 ft.JPG

• Like 12
  • Helpful 1

15 minutes ago, BadMotoFo said:

I owned this bike once. Needless to say, I didn't know any different. It sure has a S#i‡ reputation. But, damn, it looks cool!!

1981 <a href='https://thumpertalk.com/link/click/4521/' rel='nofollow' data-ipsHover-target='https://thumpertalk.com/index.php?app=autolink&module=links&controller=content&id=4521' data-ipsHover target='_blank' rel='noopener' data-autoLink>Honda</a> CR450R.jpg

Beautiful open bike, yeup the said they had issues, but its all good! That front "hang nail" front number plate is very rare, and very hard to find. Beauty all the way!😎

5 minutes ago, mcdirtclod said:

I had the second 1974 CR125 Elsinore in the state of Texas.  I bought Preston Petty red plastic, had automotive paint color-matched and shot the whole thing with a quality finish.  When everybody else was still riding silver-tankers, I showed up at the track with my Marty Smith replica and everyone just freaked out.  

Later on I had a 1979 CR250 with DG swingarm and Fox Air Shox.  That thing was scary fast.  Friends used to call it the "10-second Honda."   I only ever let two other guys ride it, and they both looped it within 10 seconds.  Still have six Hondas, but the old ones bring the best memories.

1974 CR125 sand dunes.JPG

Red 1974 CR125 crater.JPG

Red 1974 CR125 crater jump.JPG

Red 1974 CR125 crater wheelie.JPG

1979 CR250.jpg

matt 250 berm.jpg

1979 CR250 Borderland downhill 110 ft.JPG

Two awesome machines, you customized the early elsinore, nice! Man I love checking out vintage photos, its clean and clear as a sunny Texas day! Nice machines! Red Rider for shore!🤠

I had a silver and green 74 CR250. I had just come off a 74 XL250 so I thought the CR was an awesome bike, light, lightning fast and wheelie prone. That was until I started meeting up with the CanAm 250s. Those boys was FAST! They would walk away from me on the straight. It was at this time I spent a couple day's wages on Gordon Jenning's book "The Two Stroke Tuner's Guide". Wow, did I learn a lot. 

From his book, I set up squish, cleaned up the sloppy ports, tuned the carb and built a new "up" pipe tuned for the engine. Actually I believe I built 3 pipes trying to get what I wanted, but with Gord's advice, I had an idea what changes to make. Gord's advice was good, the bike flew, although it was all speed and no control. Brakes were terrible as were the shocks. Not much suspension travel and I remember that it often bottomed out on modest jumps, crushing the underslung original exhaust. The spokes stretched, the frame cracked above the pegs and second gear (engagement dog) was replaced several times. 

I rode that CR250 for quite a few years. The improvements in power were enough to overshadow the handling and braking faults in the pit and fireroad running I used to do.  We used to swap bikes and more and more I could feel the bikes age. Lots of improvements in the early 80s. I needed a dual purpose bike anyway. Traded if for a 79 XL500. Thought bigger would be better. I guess now I know... 

image.png.20c7fe4a9843f4545cb82db9535e7219.png

Put thousands of miles on that bike. Took it out hunting and brought a couple deer back home on it. Did thousand mile highway trips on it and rode anywhere I wanted off-road with it, but it wasn't a CR.

I eventually did get a CanAm 250, about 3 years ago! 

image.png.2dede873b1a61381b06adfb20d4617a7.png

It's a runner, although I've only really rode it once. Scary powerband, terrible brakes, and are the shocks supposed to work like that? 

Since riding newer bikes I am spoiled. My Elsinore was good to me. Taught me a lot of things. Good bike at the right time.  

Edited by sbest
  • Like 1
  • Helpful 1

3 hours ago, M E T A L A C I D said:

I rode a 74 silver 125 elsinore, and it was sweet, simple and fun! Let me slap up some more images.image.png.9c938239bbbd2382712948e396c6c0e2.pngimage.png.b5154a2ebbbf91f66eaac7c2f6c9211f.pngimage.png.0ae16ff42ebbc61cf125b7ce5f78cc93.pngimage.png.3fb195ff3110afd6326887393357e9f2.pngimage.png.5f152095ce767b5613f8870c30ac8e89.png

You and your image slapping  🤣

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, sbest said:

I had a silver and green 74 CR250. I had just come off a 74 XL250 so I thought the CR was an awesome bike, light, lightning fast and wheelie prone. That was until I started meeting up with the CanAm 250s. Those boys was FAST! They would walk away from me on the straight. It was at this time I spent a couple day's wages on Gordon Jenning's book "The Two Stroke Tuner's Guide". Wow, did I learn a lot. 

From his book, I set up squish, cleaned up the sloppy ports, tuned the carb and built a new "up" pipe tuned for the engine. Actually I believe I built 3 pipes trying to get what I wanted, but with Gord's advice, I had an idea what changes to make. Gord's advice was good, the bike flew, although it was all speed and no control. Brakes were terrible as were the shocks. Not much suspension travel and I remember that it often bottomed out on modest jumps, crushing the underslung original exhaust. The spokes stretched, the frame cracked above the pegs and second gear (engagement dog) was replaced several times. 

I rode that CR250 for quite a few years. The improvements in power were enough to overshadow the handling and braking faults in the pit and fireroad running I used to do.  We used to swap bikes and more and more I could feel the bikes age. Lots of improvements in the early 80s. I needed a dual purpose bike anyway. Traded if for a 79 XL500. Thought bigger would be better. I guess now I know... 

image.png.20c7fe4a9843f4545cb82db9535e7219.png

Put thousands of miles on that bike. Took it out hunting and brought a couple deer back home on it. Did thousand mile highway trips on it and rode anywhere I wanted off-road with it, but it wasn't a CR.

I eventually did get a CanAm 250, about 3 years ago! 

image.png.2dede873b1a61381b06adfb20d4617a7.png

It's a runner, although I've only really rode it once. Scary powerband, terrible brakes, and are the shocks supposed to work like that? 

Since riding newer bikes I am spoiled. My Elsinore was good to me. Taught me a lot of things. Good bike at the right time.  

Fabbing up pipes, souping up engines? Bad to the bone. I bet if you modded the Can-am's shox with some fox shox, and slapped some Showa's on it, tweeked the breaks, you could have surprised your fellow Can-am brothers at a trail ride or enduro....

34 minutes ago, M E T A L A C I D said:

Fabbing up pipes, souping up engines? Bad to the bone. I bet if you modded the Can-am's shox with some fox shox, and slapped some Showa's on it, tweeked the breaks, you could have surprised your fellow Can-am brothers at a trail ride or enduro....

But then it wouldn't be a CanAm any more, would it? 

No, keeping it just the way it came reminds me how far we have come. I have a modern bike if I want to ride hard and easy. Back in the day I was trying hard to get all I could out of that old Elsinore.  I'd love to find another one, it had some beauty, and lovingly restore it to original.