How to approach a jump

I recently got a 06 yamaha yz250f and was riding it on the golf course by my house because it is currently closed. I went through a sand pit and it comes to a pretty sharp slope shape. I landed a little nose down the suspension took it and i was ok this time. How should i try to hit the slope so i land more flat.

Ha! Riding a dirt bike on a closed golf course😃 you're my hero!! Probably best to stay off the greens anyways. You will find your jumping improves with practice and repetition. You should try to experiment with different body positions on the bike and observe the bikes attitude with your position change. You will find most of your bikes airborne attitude can be controlled with rider inputs(within reasonable limits) lots of instructional videos available for slow motion study but also very helpful to use video of your jumping technique for comparison and study. Best advice I could offer without watching your jump attempt is to approach jump in rider attack neutral position with your weight slightly back on bike(arms extended) this would allow forward or rearward rider movement while bike is airborne to adjust bikes attitude. The last suggestion is always try to pre-jump on entry ramp to jump by trying to push bike downward with body weight onto foot pegs while pulling slightly rearward on bars. Never ever chop throttle (release/slow) on jump entry. It will cause bike to nose dive every time you jump! Always enter jump ramp entry with throttle ON. You dont have to gas the shit out of it, you can apply moderate throttle or heavy throttle as needed, but never release throttle on entry. Get lots of practice and watch out for the greens keeper guys on that golf course.  

• Helpful 2

• 10 months later...
On 4/28/2020 at 7:22 AM, everlastneverfast said:

Ha! Riding a dirt bike on a closed golf course😃 you're my hero!! Probably best to stay off the greens anyways. You will find your jumping improves with practice and repetition. You should try to experiment with different body positions on the bike and observe the bikes attitude with your position change. You will find most of your bikes airborne attitude can be controlled with rider inputs(within reasonable limits) lots of instructional videos available for slow motion study but also very helpful to use video of your jumping technique for comparison and study. Best advice I could offer without watching your jump attempt is to approach jump in rider attack neutral position with your weight slightly back on bike(arms extended) this would allow forward or rearward rider movement while bike is airborne to adjust bikes attitude. The last suggestion is always try to pre-jump on entry ramp to jump by trying to push bike downward with body weight onto foot pegs while pulling slightly rearward on bars. Never ever chop throttle (release/slow) on jump entry. It will cause bike to nose dive every time you jump! Always enter jump ramp entry with throttle ON. You dont have to gas the shit out of it, you can apply moderate throttle or heavy throttle as needed, but never release throttle on entry. Get lots of practice and watch out for the greens keeper guys on that golf course.  

Ha thanks man and yeah i stay off the greens they cover them with tarps and it makes it like ice, great tips i think i was easing off the throttle a bit because on a mountain bike you kinda coast into the jumps but on a dirt bike it doesn't coast as well you lose speed alot faster obviously.

On 4/28/2020 at 8:44 AM, Turn,TheScrew said:

If not, I hope op gets arrested. 

Ha im actually very respectful of the land im riding on and likely no one will ever no because im not tearing shit up.

Start by bedding in a good deep rut to help with the run it to the sand pit. Do it at 6am so there's still some moisture in the air.

Post on instagram with location for best help.