Wiz636

What Are You Riding...and Where?

2009 Husqvarna TXC250 (with Athena 300 cc big bore kit). Usually ride forest service roads, abandoned logging road, once at the local MX track (Pacific MX / Raceways). Need to get east of the Cascades and out to the Mattawa area this year for open terrain riding and possibly some trail riding on the West Side.

IMG_20191228_152108920_HDR.jpg

• Like 4

15 hours ago, 8675309 said:

Had to cut out a few logs but found a nice stash at Jordan Creek today. yz250x 300xcw 300rr. saw two other bikes all day.

Also found one of those Satanic flagged Lone Wolf downhills :devil:

• Like 2

19 hours ago, M-Coupe99 said:

2009 Husqvarna TXC250 (with Athena 300 cc big bore kit). Usually ride forest service roads, abandoned logging road, once at the local MX track (Pacific MX / Raceways). Need to get east of the Cascades and out to the Mattawa area this year for open terrain riding and possibly some trail riding on the West Side.

IMG_20191228_152108920_HDR.jpg

Had an 09 310.  Great engine.

• Like 1

Dualsported the Yacolt burn DNR stuff today, probably a few more folks than a normal weekday, not packed though. Should be insane this weekend.

Riding by one of our best single track trails that was closed a few years ago, now it's all torn up from thinning. Sucks.

On 5/4/2020 at 7:27 PM, Chuck. said:

Plated CRF250X

CRF240X.jpg.47865033326f5e1ccab3119fddfbdc59.jpg

And a much modded XR200R for the tight stuff:

1898703375_01XR200RWeightReduction(1).JPG.fb89cf9e40f3fe054fd59f13e5c9f33b.JPG

what is the best front end swap solution for the XR?  I stumbled across a guy with a cherry 85' XR200, and I'm thinking of taking it off his hands. The frame rails still got orange paint, but I need disc up front

• Like 1

I used Showa 37 USD forks from a CRF150R plus a 21" wheel. I did another one with 96 CR80 forks, same brand but different damping and axle. A friend is using the KYB versions from a YZ85.

• Helpful 1

I should add that you will also need a XR stem for the forks, I used an aluminum one from a 84 XR250R. And an 84 XR200R engine is based on 84 XR250R RFVC twin carb engine. Now so obsolete that parts are difficult to find or non existent. Engine weighs 20lbs more than the two valve engine so you get XR250 weight wo the power.  Better choice is 86-04 XR200R because it uses the same chassis but with the lighter two valve engine. Or put a 84-85 XR250R top end on it.  The chassis is good for tight ST.

Edited by Chuck.
  • Helpful 2

Posted (edited)

The local squid pit isn’t good for much other than being close enough to go for exercise.  Worked on log hopping and slow skills.  Or in my case “low skills.”  You might be able to tell from the disturbed dirt how far this particular log moved as a result of 500lbs of rider/bike smashing into it.

5F8DDC65-2E11-4696-AB7C-92D1B32E1EBA.jpeg

Edited by Wonderspoon
  • Like 4

On 5/4/2020 at 7:27 PM, Chuck. said:

Plated CRF250X

CRF240X.jpg.47865033326f5e1ccab3119fddfbdc59.jpg

And a much modded XR200R for the tight stuff:

1898703375_01XR200RWeightReduction(1).JPG.fb89cf9e40f3fe054fd59f13e5c9f33b.JPG

That 200 looks like so much fun and with the better front suspension and brake I’d bet it’s a winner.  I blew both my fork seals on my 250/280 last weekend hammering whoops with the big boys.  I have a spare set of kybs “sss” off a yz 450 that I’m tempted to graft on.  But then I’d go down a rabbit hole I’m a little afraid of.

Oh the little R is a lot of fun, as you can see a lot of mods, and what you can't see is a full Powroll 218 engine with more torque than a XR250R. It would be my fav choice for the mountains, but I've gotten several MX bikes to behave good on mountain switchbacks, just more work.

Major fork mods can be a rabbit hole but there are some tried and true conversions for XR250Rs by using XR400R or XR600R forks. Yogi put a XR600 suspension  on his XR200R. And the 96-04 XR250R shock is a next gen reservoir shock (on my XR).

Posted (edited)

My son and I went riding at Capitol Forest yesterday.  Went up the waddel creek east track and it was decent.  Lots of mud and puddles early in the ride but as you ascended, they became less common.  Had to go to the day use parking lot, lots of space.  When we got there at noon, probably 5 trucks and more like 20 when we left about 4pm.

Overall a good ride for me and my son. It was our first trip there and my son's first ride.  He has a Yamaha TTR90 as a beginner and he's 10.  I have a Honda CRF250R.

Only issue was that my bike started to overheat a bit because we weren't going fast enough to keep it cool being my son's first trip but that will get faster over time.

+1 for the Avenza map app for an iphone.  Download the capitol forest map and it's very accurate.  The guy who lives at the campground said it's accurate within 3 yards and he'd been all over that forest.  Also used the Gaia GPS app, it tracks your entire ride and shows you speed, elevation, etc and you can download it via .gpx file to your pc and go over your entire ride for analysis.

First time I'd been on a dirt bike since I was 18.  Was a ton of fun and my son loved it too.  Will go again, a lot this summer.  Also looking forward to going to Tahuya.

IMG_0118.JPG

IMG_0113.JPG

Edited by Jblaze21
  • Like 8
  • Helpful 1

2 hours ago, Chuck. said:

Oh the little R is a lot of fun, as you can see a lot of mods, and what you can't see is a full Powroll 218 engine with more torque than a XR250R. It would be my fav choice for the mountains, but I've gotten several MX bikes to behave good on mountain switchbacks, just more work.

Major fork mods can be a rabbit hole but there are some tried and true conversions for XR250Rs by using XR400R or XR600R forks. Yogi put a XR600 suspension  on his XR200R. And the 96-04 XR250R shock is a next gen reservoir shock (on my XR).

I bought the kybs with clamps, Stem, brakes and a front hub so I’m just a rim and spokes (which I could steal from the XR) from a full front end.  I think I could make it happen for 100-200 bucks. But the XR was never supposed to be my go fast bike.  I have a  modded yz 295 for that but I started riding the XR more because it was so fun and easy.  Tearing it all down and testing suspension is so antithetical to why I love the bike.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Jblaze21 said:

My son and I went riding at Capitol Forest yesterday.  Went up the waddel creek east track and it was decent.  Lots of mud and puddles early in the ride but as you ascended, they became less common.  Had to go to the day use parking lot, lots of space.  When we got there at noon, probably 5 trucks and more like 20 when we left about 4pm.

Overall a good ride for me and my son. It was our first trip there and my son's first ride.  He has a Yamaha TTR90 as a beginner and he's 10.  I have a Honda CRF250R.

Only issue was that my bike started to overheat a bit because we weren't going fast enough to keep it cool being my son's first trip but that will get faster over time.

+1 for the Avenza map app for an iphone.  Download the capitol forest map and it's very accurate.  The guy who lives at the campground said it's accurate within 3 yards and he'd been all over that forest.  Also used the Gaia GPS app, it tracks your entire ride and shows you speed, elevation, etc and you can download it via .gpx file to your pc and go over your entire ride for analysis.

First time I'd been on a dirt bike since I was 18.  Was a ton of fun and my son loved it too.  Will go again, a lot this summer.  Also looking forward to going to Tahuya.

IMG_0118.JPG

IMG_0113.JPG

VERY cool to see. Father and son gettin' out to see the awesomeness. We can just see that smile on his face right through his helmet. Keep it up.

Joe

• Like 1

Cut that log out of Mad Dogs Pumpkin Patch yesterday, the one as you drop down into one of the creek crossings. That trail sucks, Why is it so fun?