Nietzsche2707

Idea for DIY Spark Arrestor

I have a DanMoto exhaust on my 2012 Kawi Klx250s. It does not have a spark arrest or. I intend to make one of of steel mesh and a hose clamp so I don't get a ticket when I am riding on the state land. I went to lowes the other day and was unsure what type of mesh I should buy. I want something that is more durable than screen door mesh, but not so tough that I cannot bend it. Please let me know what works for you.

PS: I guess I could take the slip on apart and put the mesh on the inside before the end cap, but it is riveted in place. 

image.png.140c2288942245684cbafd864deda319.png

Posted (edited)

Aftermarket Spark Arrestor inserts I’ve purchased have included a simple “Forestry Approved” sticker, which unfortunately can be dislodged by washing or normal wear. 

Edited by motrock93b
  • Like 3

Not true, USFS accepts a screen. Doesn't have to be manufactured, just a screen... If it stops a coat hanger, it's good.

If it is a turbine core, they'll want to see the stamp on the side of the can.

3 hours ago, BOAB said:

Most government agencies if they are checking for a spark arrestor will check to see if it is an approved arrestor.  Not having the approval stamped on it will not pass the smell test most places.

https://www.fs.fed.us/eng/pubs/html/03511307/03511307.htm

• Like 2
  • Helpful 2

Sink strainers from the dollar store work. I’ve had them side by side with the screen that comes in an Enduro Engineering end cap spark arrestor and could not tell the difference. 

• Like 4
  • Helpful 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, RichieGoatGruff said:

Not true, USFS accepts a screen. Doesn't have to be manufactured, just a screen... If it stops a coat hanger, it's good.

I don't know where you go, but every time I've been checked they look for the cert.  You apparently didn't bother to look at the link I posted from the USFS.

"Qualifications for OHV Spark Arresters
The qualification standard requires spark arresters to be permanently marked with the model number and manufacturer’s name or trademark. Whenever contact is made with an OHV, regardless of what type of machine is used, a spark arrester inspection should be made.

Many people think that a muffler/silencer is also a spark arrester. Mufflers and silencers are only designed for noise control. Only an inspection can determine whether this is a spark arrester or a muffler/silencer.

If the OHV has been operating, beware of very hot metal in and around the exhaust system. The arrester will be a chamber-like device located somewhere along the exhaust discharge. Find the manufacturer’s name or logo and the model number located on the spark arrester. It may be necessary to clean a portion of the arrester to reveal that information. It can usually be found on an attached metal plate. The words “USDA Forest Service Qualified,” “Spark Arrester,” or “Qualified” stamped on a piece of equipment does not guarantee that it is a tested and qualified arrester."

Edited by BOAB
  • Like 7
  • Helpful 2

Posted (edited)

One last comment on this.  How am I so sure of what I have posted other than the obvious documentation?  A couple years ago we had the driest summer within memory, lots of public land was shut down, many races were cancelled.  The USFS, BLM and NM Game and Fish all issued statements concerning spark arrestors.  They all said they must be approved or there will be a fine and possible impoundment of the vehicle.  And they weren't kidding.  Also, look at the rules for any race series that are held on public land, they all say an approved spark arrestor.

Damn,  I hate it when people post stuff that can get someone hurt in or in trouble with the law. :censored::bonk:

Example of what FMF makes, U.S.F.S.-approved :

https://www.motosport.com/fmf-powercore-4-hex-spark-arrestor-insert?variant[FMF00GP]=FMF00GP-X001-Y001

IMG_0269.jpg&key=b9baf376b522b8739fd1bb6

Edited by BOAB
  • Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Posted (edited)

Here in Michigan they look for the USFS Approved stamp.  

Doc

Edited by Doc_d
  • Like 4
  • Helpful 1

2 minutes ago, Doc_d said:

Here in Michigan they look for the USFS Approved stamp.  

Doc

They do pretty much everywhere.  I don't know what planet a few of these guys ride on. :excuseme:

• Like 3

Or take a chance it won't be you that the new, by the book occifer checks out during an enforcement session.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Depends on who's checking too? a letter of the law or intent of the law enforcement person.  I have only been stick tested in all my years but that doesn't mean anything.   I was sent home when my GMC Jimmy was checked in a NF primitive jeep trail. Didn't even think about it needing a SA.  Since no "approved" SA were available the FS allowed installing a screen on the tailpipes with a hose clamp. Don't remember the mesh size but it was the same as what's on a chainsaw.  Just a example of a common sense intent of the law interpretation by a local ranger. 

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

7 minutes ago, highmarker said:

Depends on who's checking too? a letter of the law or intent of the law enforcement person.  I have only been stick tested in all my years but that doesn't mean anything.   I was sent home when my GMC Jimmy was checked in a NF primitive jeep trail. Didn't even think about it needing a SA.  Since no "approved" SA were available the FS allowed installing a screen on the tailpipes with a hose clamp. Don't remember the mesh size but it was the same as what's on a chainsaw.  Just a example of a common sense intent of the law interpretation by a local ranger. 

Circumstances, too.  Like I mentioned earlier, there was a zero tolerance policy in this area a couple summers ago during a severe drought.  When you went riding you pretty much knew there would be law enforcement there.  But, bottom line, all federal and many state lands require certified ones.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, RichieGoatGruff said:

Not in California!  I wished I lived in a free state!

Order stainless steel: 

What is a Screen-Type Spark Arrester?

Screen-Type Spark Arresters as defined by USDA Forest Service Standard 5100-lb fall into a special category. They are intended for use on small engine applications. All exhaust products must pass through the screen, which has openings of 0.023-inch or less. the effective exhaust area of the screen (total area of all screen openings) shall not be less than 200 percent of the engine exhaust port area at its smallest cross-section. Screen material shall be heat and corrosion resistant, and shall provide at least 100 hours of service life. These are originally qualified for all the positions described in the "Application Positions" section.

Anytime I was stopped or checked, all they wanted to see was that USFS Aprroved stamp.  That's here in Oregon, Nor Calif where I ride, and checked once in a park in Washington.

If it's the sticker they need to see, then my Jardine header/can will soon be 'unapproved' due to its loss. The OP is trying to install an arrester and frankly the regs should be more supportive of a diligent effort and result.

• Like 1