YZ250F New Cylinder Needed?

Hello everyone,

I'm working with a 06' YZ250F. I'm figuring I need a new cylinder but this is what I'm working with.  I was in the process of replacing the crank bearings and when taking it apart i noticed that one of the piston curclips came off and ended up damaging the lower half of the  cylinder.  It's not terribly deep buts its definitely there.  I found the clip in the bottom end once I split the case.  I didn't find much of any metal shavings at all once apart.  Just the mangled clip.  What are your thoughts? Mandatory to replace the cylinder?  It's an old bike and not to sure if its worth buying a new cylinder.  Thanks for any advice. 

15882175313112610300761706200293.jpg

15882175690558929716428041326392.jpg

Ok thank you.  I will look into it.  The thing that sucks is the bike still would start first kick and run good.  I just started to get a knock so I figured it was the crank bearings(which were on their way out).  I didn't think I would find this issue.  

• William1 changed the title to YZ250F New Cylinder Needed?

I am not sure how it happened.  I bought the bike last year used.  I found a new Cylinder from Cylinder heads for like $250.  I'm thinking of just doing that since it will be brand new.  They also had a kit for right around $400 new cylinder and piston with all the gaskets and clips.  With how old the bike is and not knowing what the previous owner did to it I think it would be a good ide to swap it all out.  They must have refused the clips or something.  It has a hot rod piston rod in there so I'm assuming that someone had been inside the motor. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Wellzy55 said:

I am not sure how it happened.  I bought the bike last year used.  I found a new Cylinder from Cylinder heads for like $250.  I'm thinking of just doing that since it will be brand new.  They also had a kit for right around $400 new cylinder and piston with all the gaskets and clips.  With how old the bike is and not knowing what the previous owner did to it I think it would be a good ide to swap it all out.  They must have refused the clips or something.  It has a hot rod piston rod in there so I'm assuming that someone had been inside the motor. 

For not too much more you might want to look at the Cylinder Works 269 kit. I've had one on a 2010 YZ250F for years and really like it.

:cheers: