Practice Engine Build?

I got a bike and have been loving every minute of it. I have learned alot in the past few weeks but I am sorely lacking internal engine knowledge, gearing, and electrical. Does anyone know where and what engine I can buy (preferably) unassembled? I need to see the inner workings, really get an intimate knowledge of it so I can properly diagnose and maintain my bike and future bikes. Must have gears so I can learn the whole transmission thing lol. I dont care much to mess with 2 strokes atm so I'm thinking a 4 stroke engine is what I should get? And idk anything about electricity on a bike/engine but if that can be a part of it I'd also want that. Please assist me, I am new to this mechanic and biking world but it's got me hooked and I need to dive in and get a better understanding. Fyi...the cheaper the better lol

12 minutes ago, crypto666 said:

Buy an old bike and restore it.  No sense in just doing an engine.  And I would look at whatever brand you new bike is.

This is my only running bike at the moment and I use it. I just want to get an engine that I can work on/build (or tear down and rebuild). I learn best when I can get to the foundation of a topic and go up from there. To be honest I have an old riding mower and ATC that dont run but I'd probably have to buy new parts...and that's the kicker. Instead of spending hours scouring the internet for info on what I need or what's wrong, I'd be able to minimize my search efforts if I had a better understanding.

9 hours ago, Tplums said:

This is my only running bike at the moment and I use it. I just want to get an engine that I can work on/build (or tear down and rebuild). I learn best when I can get to the foundation of a topic and go up from there. To be honest I have an old riding mower and ATC that dont run but I'd probably have to buy new parts...and that's the kicker. Instead of spending hours scouring the internet for info on what I need or what's wrong, I'd be able to minimize my search efforts if I had a better understanding.

Ok, you're missing the entire point.

You need to learn all kinds of stuff, sourcing parts is one if them. Searching the net for parts diagrams, assembly instructions,  hell, even part name dictionaries. 

"Instead of spending hours scouring the internet for info on what I need or what's wrong, I'd be able to minimize my search efforts"

Let's be honest,  you're lazy. You want to somehow learn all this stuff with minimal effort.  This should be insulting to anyone who actually put in the effort to learn, thinking that you're time is somehow "worth' more than theirs.

Your FOUR STROKE ATC is the absolute perfect machine to learn on.  similar to your current engine.

Edited by Turn,TheScrew
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Start with your own bike, no better way to get a better understanding than a bike you ride. Watch YouTube videos on your bike being torn down/rebuilt etc. if their is no videos on your bike than start with the manual and part diagrams. Remember google is your best friend! Get to wrenching away seeing what goes where, take lots of pictures and start recognizing which part is which, what gear is which and most importantly..how they affect each other and work! It’s not gonna be a walk in the park but once you start learning more about your bike it becomes easier to work on! Hope this helps an Goodluck with it💪🏽

4 hours ago, Turn,TheScrew said:

Ok, you're missing the entire point.

You need to learn all kinds of stuff, sourcing parts is one if them. Searching the net for parts diagrams, assembly instructions,  hell, even part name dictionaries. 

"Instead of spending hours scouring the internet for info on what I need or what's wrong, I'd be able to minimize my search efforts"

Let's be honest,  you're lazy. You want to somehow learn all this stuff with minimal effort.  This should be insulting to anyone who actually put in the effort to learn, thinking that you're time is somehow "worth' more than theirs.

Your FOUR STROKE ATC is the absolute perfect machine to learn on.  similar to your current engine.

I'm lazy? Wow that never occurred to me. I thought I was just having fun getting into all this and wanted to learn more. Now that I know, I can turn my life around thanks!

11 minutes ago, Kickstart97 said:

Your ATC would be a great project to start getting some basic knowledge and diagnosing skills. What model ATC is it? Lots of guys still collect, ride and restore them and the parts are out there.

Yeah, I'm probably going to take that engine and just rebuild it. ATC 110 I believe, but it was chopped to hell before I got it so we will see.

• Like 1

I learned by reading service manuals on my early bikes. Front to back several times.

But you can't learn these things overnight. Buy a manual fro your bike. Read every page. 

Then you can start by doing easier jobs like pulling the clutch and checking the service limits of the plates...

• Like 5
  • Helpful 1

6 hours ago, Tplums said:

I'm lazy? Wow that never occurred to me. I thought I was just having fun getting into all this and wanted to learn more. Now that I know, I can turn my life around thanks!

Start by a Google search "How do 4 stroke motorcycle engines and transmissions work".  Then the same for motorcycle ignition systems. Then the same for motorcycle charging systems. His point is that you're expecting people to find information for you on line, research articles and vids, post them up for you, and then spend keyboard time explaining engine basics to you. Sorry, but yes, that's lazy. Do some research and even try a little hands on wrenching on your own. Then if you have specific questions, most everyone here will be happy to help. 

• Helpful 1

38 minutes ago, 76xtdrvr said:

Start by a Google search "How do 4 stroke motorcycle engines and transmissions work".  Then the same for motorcycle ignition systems. Then the same for motorcycle charging systems. His point is that you're expecting people to find information for you on line, research articles and vids, post them up for you, and then spend keyboard time explaining engine basics to you. Sorry, but yes, that's lazy. Do some research and even try a little hands on wrenching on your own. Then if you have specific questions, most everyone here will be happy to help. 

Why is this even a thought? I have done crazy research this past week or so and took apart/cleaned and reassembled numerous parts on my bike already. I'm not asking for anyone to do work for me at all. I've BEEN doing research, I've BEEN doing plenty by myself. All I did was reach out to this more experienced group of people to see if y'all knew an engine I could get to practice building... like wtf?

Edited by Tplums

Hes been studying for A whole week you guys! 

Pro tip- it was when you said something along the lines of " Save me a bunch of time and just teach me what I have to know, because I cant be wasting my time".

I dont think you were intentionally being arrogant,  but that is how it comes off. Everyone gets bit by the forum when they start. Searching is your friend, we're also here to help, but not handout.

More seriously,  this stuff isnt learned in a week. The basics can, but the real knowledge wont start clicking for a year or two if you stick with it.

Edited by Turn,TheScrew
  • Helpful 1

4 minutes ago, Turn,TheScrew said:

Hes been studying for A whole week you guys! 

Pro tip- it was when you said something along the lines of " Save me a bunch of time and just teach me what I have to know, because I cant be wasting my time".

I dont think you were intentionally being arrogant,  but that is how it comes off. Everyone gets bit by the forum when they start. Searching is your friend, we're also here to help, but not handout.

More seriously,  this stuff isnt learned in a week. The basics can, but the real knowledge wont start clicking for a year or two if you stick with 

I don't want a handout, I want(ed) direction to an engine I could build myself. So I could build it and learn about it MYSELF. Yeah, it's been about a week....your point? I have a hunger to learn, is that bad? I dont want anyone to get up and do a search and find what I need for me. The question was for the people who may have an answer for me ALREADY.

I'm passionate about food not mechanics. Ya know what I do when someone asks for advice, tips, or direction about MY field? I get excited that someone is taking an interest in what I love and I help them...Gladly so.

Why the negativity?

Btw, thank you for the link RichieGoatGruff. I might actually buy that.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, motrock93b said:

What bike do you have?  You can likely begin by watching a YouTube video of someone performing all, or some of the procedures. Following along with a good shop manual while you search for your donor engine should provide a solid foundation. 

1984 Honda XR200

I bought a service manual, waiting for it to come in the mail. I'm excited to get it, should answer alot of questions I have considering that this bike tends to be confused with the xr200R alot and makes online info a struggle. Plus, I couldn't find a pdf anywhere.