I have been riding dirt bikes for the past 15 years and all my riding life I have always pulled in the clutch in order to brake, when entering a corner. I know that not using the clutch and letting the bike “clatter” when braking into a corner is smoother and more effective. I was wondering if this technique is hard on the bike and if it will cause significant mechanical problems down the road? I am not a Racer, just a motocross enthusiast whom likes to improve technique and lap times;  However, I do not want to have to spend a couple hundreds of dollar for a second off my lap time. I am fine if it tends to wear the clutch out a little quicker because that is an easy fix, but I do not want to be shaving down the gears in the transmission at the same time. Any help is greatly appreciated! 

20 hours ago, piltoyougram said:

Been riding for over 60 years and countless different bikes and never had a problem braking with out using the clutch. I'm sure you'll get some other feed backs!!!#$%^&*!

Lol, yeh. I'm the opposite, I like to lock the rear under brakes often so stalling is a big issue for Me. Having said that, of course you won't do any harm/damage doing it without the clutch.

Edited by DEATH_INC.
  • Like 1