Gearne SG 12 warranty or contact

3 hours ago, elrontx said:

i just bought a pair of slightly used SG 12s that have red plastic off a riding acquaintance. i only have a few rides on them but ill post if they fall apart. i have a pair of Garene GX 1 which is their cheap boot. had them for years and their holding up. i like them more then the SG 12s TBH. 

I have red plastic SG12, it's not a problem. 

1 hour ago, TX-SANDMAN said:

Gaerne SG12 lover here.  They are awesome.  Don’t believe everything you read online.

Question:  I clean them with Simple Green but would like to treat the plastics to keep them from cracking... any suggestions.  FYI the Gaerne website is blown up.  https://gaerneusa.com/gaerne-sg-12/

79C66C73-035E-4534-A11D-88EC46539433.jpeg

I don’t believe everything I read online. I believe the premium price I payed for boots, that I threw in the trash after a short amount of use,  and the email conversation I had with Gaerne, where they refused to stand behind their product that has a known issue. 

Edited by 69fastback
  • Like 2

I finally cleaned them up and took a closer look and like the others I've seen online, it's pretty impressive how the cracks go around nearly the entire boot on both the left and right. 

7930EFF8-0746-4DC0-9B95-9D1B68E6D7CB.jpeg

C6D2E06C-ABD8-4418-90BA-415CE23FB451.jpeg

200D05D2-9964-4B73-B3B0-E7C41F6FD847.jpeg

AA5D9370-BE52-4C3F-B921-F282821295A2.jpeg

516F758C-6DBD-4910-9131-A2491A0C3107.jpeg

63B57897-72A3-4969-BA3B-F284C519297C.jpeg

B945DE69-F552-4FF6-A7F6-B18F33E03619.jpeg

Edited by Sal Khan
Larger photos and grammar
  • Helpful 1
  • Angry 1
  • Sad 2

As much as I like my SG-10s, there is no excuse for a boot failing like that.  Seeing as it seems to be confined to the orange boots, this sure indicates a problem with materials.  It should be warranted.  Sad to hear of Gaerne’s lack of response.  Gives me pause in considering them again.

Edited by Gflo
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Sal Khan said:

I finally cleaned them up and took a closer look and like the others I've seen online, it's pretty impressive how the cracks go around nearly the entire boot on both the left and right. 

7930EFF8-0746-4DC0-9B95-9D1B68E6D7CB.jpeg

C6D2E06C-ABD8-4418-90BA-415CE23FB451.jpeg

200D05D2-9964-4B73-B3B0-E7C41F6FD847.jpeg

AA5D9370-BE52-4C3F-B921-F282821295A2.jpeg

516F758C-6DBD-4910-9131-A2491A0C3107.jpeg

63B57897-72A3-4969-BA3B-F284C519297C.jpeg

B945DE69-F552-4FF6-A7F6-B18F33E03619.jpeg

Are you going to email them?

9 minutes ago, 69fastback said:

Are you going to email them?

Did it from the trails when it happened and heard back this morning simply asking where I'm from. Don't know if that's a good sign or not. 

• Like 2

Just now, Sal Khan said:

Did it from the trails when it happened and heard back this morning simply asking where I'm from. Don't know if that's a good sign or not. 

Well keep us updated. I’d love to hear the outcome from this. 

• Like 2

Gaerne is F'n up with these boots. I've got like 6 pairs of SG-10's that I'd still wear tomorrow. Great boots, but something happened to the newer generation boots. I always suggest the SG1's to entry level folks and I've heard no complaints. Alpinestars I gave up on about the turn of the century. After that I couldn't keep them together for a season.

I've got a couple pair of Sidi TAs that are excellent, but I've got an SRS model the sole is separating from the upper. 

The forma dominator has been good

Edited by Slackkinhard
  • Like 1
  • Helpful 1

1 hour ago, highmarker said:

Italians must not be to fond of orange, might wanna stick with black or white.

I'm guessin the pigment in the plastic isn't well vetted for UV

remember Kawasaki plastic?  Til they figured out green, all the old plastic is broke

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Gflo said:

As much as I like my SG-10s, there is no excuse for a boot failing like that.  Seeing as it seems to be confined to the orange boots, this sure indicates a problem with materials.  It should be warranted.  Sad to hear of Gaerne’s lack of response.  Gives me pause in considering them again.

Very happy with my Leatt 5.5s.

• Confused 1

17 hours ago, TX-SANDMAN said:

Gaerne SG12 lover here.  They are awesome.  Don’t believe everything you read online.

Question:  I clean them with Simple Green but would like to treat the plastics to keep them from cracking... any suggestions.  FYI the Gaerne website is blown up.  https://gaerneusa.com/gaerne-sg-12/

79C66C73-035E-4534-A11D-88EC46539433.jpeg

Another Sg12 guy here, same color's as well, wonder if the dyes used somehow compromises the structural integrity? Always seems the colored ones have issue's. Mine are 4 yrs old and going strong. I spray them down with silicone after cleaning with Shout/ Dawn blue.

• Helpful 1

11 hours ago, indy rider said:

I'd send them in for repair. Let them see what crap they are putting out.

that's a good idea. it's not like you want them back even if they don't replace them. I'm on my second pair of Gearnes. sg10 now sg12. But I always get black. I don't like the look of colored plastic when they get scuffed and scraped. maybe there is something to the idea of the coloring is compromising the plastic?

Edited by randysoo
  • Like 1

Does anyone have a mailing address for their repair/corporate center in the US? I tried searching and came up with this:

https://gaerneusa.com/product-tag/repair/

But the website errors out pretty badly.  I'm not against just mailing it to them with a note just to get them out of my garage if the warranty process fails like it has for so many. 

Edited by Sal Khan

13 hours ago, Sal Khan said:

Were you riding in the cold? About 5 years ago I had a Sidi Crossfire completely lose a sole in the cold. Just recently I had a Acerbis plastic forks shoe protector explode on a small tip over in cold weather.

That still shouldn't of happened to your boots regardless of any situation, I'm just wondering if the temperature/weather compromised the already questionable plastic making it even more brittle. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, stupidmoto said:

Were you riding in the cold? About 5 years ago I had a Sidi Crossfire completely lose a sole in the cold. Just recently I had a Acerbis plastic forks shoe protector explode on a small tip over in cold weather.

That still shouldn't of happened to your boots regardless of any situation, I'm just wondering if the temperature/weather compromised the already questionable plastic making it even more brittle. 

A friend of mine riding with me mentioned that as well but honestly... It was high 30s / low 40s in the morning then 50s for most of the ride? I would HOPE that's not considered cold since I'll be riding in colder than that over the winter! Hahaha

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Sal Khan said:

A friend of mine riding with me mentioned that as well but honestly... It was high 30s / low 40s in the morning then 50s for most of the ride? I would HOPE that's not considered cold since I'll be riding in colder than that over the winter! Hahaha

That's not very cold at all. If it was at or below freezing I could see the cold being more of a potential issue, so yea, there is no reason that should of happened.

I've been strongly considering a pair of SG-12s simply because they aren't made in china, but I'm wondering if I should look around more...

• Like 1