Shop is getting too small!!

I got a 20x30 shop and it’s getting packed... between 4 wheelers,dirt bikes, tools, beer fridge, kids bikes, and my one street bike it’s packed... have to move a few things out to make room to work on a bike..surely I’m not the only one with this issue lol? 

image.jpg

• Like 1

Not at all, I have 6 bikes, an atv and a utv in a 24' x 8' garage. When I need to work on something, basically everything needs to come out. Its a real pain, and Im getting really sick of it, but there isn't much I can do besides sell some of it, which is self defeating. 

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1
  • Confused 1

Joey. Your shelving could be a lot more efficient. You would be able to pushed the bikes to the walls if you doubled up the shelves on uppers and eliminated the lower.  Put the quad on caster/dollies etc. It’s amazing how much space you can find and be ruthless about crap you “might use one day”. 

my crap is in a car tent.. super ghetto

• Like 1

Joey, what you need is a 4 post lift. This way, you could put the ATV and some of the bikes on the upper deck, giving you room to put even MORE crap in your garage. It'll also give you a place to do servicing of your cars/trucks, if need be. 

Or, put 2 of 'em in your garage, and get a coupla Corvettes to "stack."

Joey, your ceilings are too low to elevate the heaviest objects in there according to the above advice. 

I have toyed with the idea of a block and tackle that hoist the front wheel of bikes towards where the ceiling meets the wall to save space. 

Edited by crypto666
  • Helpful 1

40 x 8 x 8  offshore container .......  right now ......   looking to expand .......    wanting ,     30 x 15 x 12 high ......   selling off unneeded is crucial ......    can't sell  tools or equipment ......   

I am about to do some backfill and pour a 30x50 floor. Planning for 12 foot walls. Spent all last winter and half of the last without a shop on my property. The northwall and East wall will consist of 2 8x40x9.5 intermodals as bweigh uses. (It has a tax valuation advantage). One container will have the lathe, mill and drill press ali with a bench. The containers seal nice so it makes a nice engine and head work station. I may never leave the lot, other than to ride.

• Like 1

I have a 25x30 and half of our 2 car garage. I have room to work on a bike comfortable but 2 is hectic. Once you add work benches, both mechanic and wood tools, welder, torches and gear, compressor, wood stove and some shelving to store parts, odds and ends they are full ☹️

I do have 10' ceilings so I'm thinking a loft would be handy to store the parts, tires, gear

• Like 1

Same with my old shop, I’m building a 10x16 shed/shop, but I’m afraid it will be too small. Might need to just use it for tools and work, and build another for storing bikes and parts. 

I used to roll it all out and work under an ezup, but in winter in the new digs, it will be too cold to do that. So the shed/shop will get a heater, and the storage/parts will not. 

Oh what to do when you have 15 bikes and 8 are projects. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I like to keep my shop open and workable at all times. Its hard to get motivated to work on something when you know you need to shuffle a bunch of stuff around. I have a 2 car detached shop, 1 car attached garage, and a 12 x 12 shed. I shuffle things between the 3 spaces to make sure my shop is always somewhat usable.... Except for right now. I have a paint booth set up in the shop so I can hardly do anything in there until I get that project done. If you can build or buy a basic shed you can put the big quad and maybe some bikes in. Or like others have said a storage container. 

A few things I have done to save space / reduce clutter.

- Built a large shelf mounted to the wall on three walls of the shop up high about 2.5 ft from the ceiling  2 ft deep. This allows me to store most of my stuff without actually using any floor space. 

- Built a large 3ft x 3ft closet in the corner of my shop. This is where I keep all my riding gear and stuff I don't want to get all dusty and dirty out in the shop.

- Built a large work bench with shelving and storage underneath along with cabinets and more shelving up top. 

- Stored wood and wires and random junk up in the rafters. 

My general idea has been to keep things off the floor and free up floor space where ever I can. If you eliminated the bottom 2 shelves and mounted your shelf to the wall you would free up a lot of floor space. Or room for more bikes! Also general consolidating, organizing, and getting rid of stuff helps a lot. Putting cabinet doors on the racks hides the clutter and makes things look and feel more organized too. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, YZDOC said:

Same with my old shop, I’m building a 10x16 shed/shop, but I’m afraid it will be too small. Might need to just use it for tools and work, and build another for storing bikes and parts. 

I used to roll it all out and work under an ezup, but in winter in the new digs, it will be too cold to do that. So the shed/shop will get a heater, and the storage/parts will not. 

Oh what to do when you have 15 bikes and 8 are projects. 

I'm jealous of all of you guys with these massive shops. I have a 12x10 Tuff Shed barn style with a 80sq ft loft. 6ft7in tall double doors. Biggest I can do without a permit in CA. You'd be amazed at how much work I have been able to accomplish in this badboy.

20191013_142749.jpg.5c6ca1756276bb84e07b7d3466ec8b51.jpg

20190406_144205.jpg.d7eac85cbfaedc2ea670cf9b3d56299e.jpg

20190406_144223.jpg.b86ee3088ba4d1b966cdfa19287739d4.jpg

• Like 26
  • Helpful 1

• NoFiddyPilot changed the title to Shop is getting too small!!