19 hours ago, ss-racing said:

Oh wow, musta been a girls bike, got a shaved seat  ?

Hey! Wait a minute ! You know you aren't exactly sitting flat-footed on your YZ's are you?

My 31" inseam needs all the help it can get - I'm pretty sure that I'm still using the milk crate to swing a leg over the mighty YZ1405...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, FlatBrimJim said:

Hey! Wait a minute ! You know you aren't exactly sitting flat-footed on your YZ's are you?

My 31" inseam needs all the help it can get - I'm pretty sure that I'm still using the milk crate to swing a leg over the mighty YZ1405...

Hell no,  but it don't matter to me .

I ride with my feet on the pegs, not on the ground. 

• Like 2
  • Helpful 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, ss-racing said:

Hell no,  but it don't matter to me .

I ride with my feet on the pegs, not on the ground. 

Yep, old road racer on dirt bike says, if my feet are off the pegs, somethings gone wrong. 

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

1 minute ago, Chicken-N-Waffles said:

Yep, old road racer on dirt bike says, if my feet are off the pegs, somethings gone wrong. 

when I first started racing the Yamaha R1 in 04, the first thing I noticed was how high I was sitting, it was almost like I was sitting on a MX bike.... I was talking to a fellow racer and he says, "it's only a problem if your knee can't reach the track when cornering"  ... "gotcha ....no problem".

IMG_0109.JPG.bdf4cb4a890add32b3014d19fb8a8690.JPG

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ss-racing said:

when I first started racing the Yamaha R1 in 04, the first thing I noticed was how high I was sitting, it was almost like I was sitting on a MX bike.... I was talking to a fellow racer and he says, "it's only a problem if your knee can't reach the track when cornering"  ... "gotcha ....no problem".

IMG_0109.JPG.bdf4cb4a890add32b3014d19fb8a8690.JPG

I worked on an R1 the other day, the flat plane crank sounds really good. Dont know if the '04s had that or not though? The one I serviced was a 2010 I think 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ASP1227 said:

I worked on an R1 the other day, the flat plane crank sounds really good. Dont know if the '04s had that or not though? The one I serviced was a 2010 I think 

I think it was in 09 when they introduced the cross-plane crank  (AKA Big-Bang crank) ...prior to that they all had the screamer cranks .  

I've never been a big fan of twins and so I always preferred the sound of the screamers, that 04 engine was so smooth, it felt like a sewing machine under you , but the sound that thing made at 14,000 rpm... glorious.  still gives me goosebumps  thinking about it . 

Edited by ss-racing
  • Like 6

12 minutes ago, ss-racing said:

I think it was in 09 when they introduced the cross-plane crank  (AKA Big-Bang crank) ...prior to that they all had the screamer cranks .  

I've never been a big fan of twins and so I always preferred the sound of the screamers, that 04 engine was so smooth, it felt like a sewing machine under you , but the sound that thing made at 14,000 rpm... glorious.  still gives me goosebumps  thinking about it . 

Yeah there's definitely something to be said about the screamers. I still get excited when I get to take a 600 out on a ride, super smooth engines, sound like F1 cars too. My RC51 is the polar opposite of that lol. 

• Like 3

Racing AMA Pro gave you the opportunity to cruise the paddock (when you had time) and check out all the bikes , team Honda was running RC51s at that time, Suzuki, Yamaha and Kawasaki were running inline 4s, all super serious race bikes. One of the most bad ass bikes up until 04 was the Aprilia RSV250 . There were usually just a few in the paddock ....the same bike that Rossi won the 250 world championship on . I think the only steel in those bikes was the crank and transmission, the rest was either Aluminum, titanium, or carbon fiber. The radiator there is a true work of art. Engine is a rotary valve twin developing near 100 HP made possible by the advanced ECU that was able to be reprogrammed for any weather conditions. It was not uncommon to hear one of those bikes (all the way across the paddock) being tuned on one of those Factory tuning eddy current dynos doing 5 sec pulls at 12-13 K 

Braaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaapppppp !!       You'd hear someone say "Damn, THAT is why I love America"    LOL

image.png.8c5b8d220b49269edb7c886446618076.png

• Like 8

15 minutes ago, ss-racing said:

Racing AMA Pro gave you the opportunity to cruise the paddock (when you had time) and check out all the bikes , team Honda was running RC51s at that time, Suzuki, Yamaha and Kawasaki were running inline 4s, all super serious race bikes. One of the most bad ass bikes up until 04 was the Aprilia RSV250 . There were usually just a few in the paddock ....the same bike that Rossi won the 250 world championship on . I think the only steel in those bikes was the crank and transmission, the rest was either Aluminum, titanium, or carbon fiber. The radiator there is a true work of art. Engine is a rotary valve twin developing near 100 HP made possible by the advanced ECU that was able to be reprogrammed for any weather conditions. It was not uncommon to hear one of those bikes (all the way across the paddock) being tuned on one of those Factory tuning eddy current dynos doing 5 sec pulls at 12-13 K 

Braaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaapppppp !!       You'd hear someone say "Damn, THAT is why I love America"    LOL

image.png.8c5b8d220b49269edb7c886446618076.png

Silly looking thing but I like the pipes ?? braap

• Like 1
  • Haha 1