Drz 400 k1 lighting?

Hopefully some people out there with some experience with lighting and getting a drz 400 kick only model street legal. 

Recently picked up a '01 drz 400 (k1) kick only model, I'm looking to get some lighting wired up and im curious if the stock stator will be enough? What has anyone else out there done  in regards to lighting, I have the left hand clip on with high beam low beam switch from an s model I'd like to incorporate, as well as the horn from an s model. I have the acerbis dot front headlight with hi and low beam with some additional LEDs, and a drc rear fender eliminator kit with the smoke lens.

Any one have suggestions,  advice,  personal experience? 

Grateful for any imput!

2 minutes ago, Dr.zedsdead said:

Hopefully some people out there with some experience with lighting and getting a drz 400 kick only model street legal. 

Recently picked up a '01 drz 400 (k1) kick only model, I'm looking to get some lighting wired up and im curious if the stock stator will be enough? What has anyone else out there done  in regards to lighting, I have the left hand clip on with high beam low beam switch from an s model I'd like to incorporate, as well as the horn from an s model. I have the acerbis dot front headlight with hi and low beam with some additional LEDs, and a drc rear fender eliminator kit with the smoke lens.

Any one have suggestions,  advice,  personal experience? 

Grateful for any imput!

The stator is the same across the range I think (the CDI pick that is part of the stator sits in a different spot on the kicker). That means you have typical power output of that of an S or SM to play with.  You will be fine for lighting.

• Like 1

Actually, the kicker model charging system is different (output is down 50 watts or so compared to S/SM), but I have no idea what it takes to add lights. 

• Helpful 1

Get the Tusk harness and switches, connect the power wires for the harness into the supply wires for the taillight. Make sure your bike still has the capacitor normally located behind the headlight. The stator has plenty of power to run everything including a horn. You will need a DRC banjo fitting switch that is very thin available from Wheeling Cycle. The typical ones you see will not fit on rear master even though they state so. This will need to be sandwiched on the bottom of your current fitting and the wires will not allow it to mount on top. I’ve done a few of these. Feel free to PM with any questions.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mannurse727 said:

Get the Tusk harness and switches, connect the power wires for the harness into the supply wires for the taillight. Make sure your bike still has the capacitor normally located behind the headlight. The stator has plenty of power to run everything including a horn. You will need a DRC banjo fitting switch that is very thin available from Wheeling Cycle. The typical ones you see will not fit on rear master even though they state so. This will need to be sandwiched on the bottom of your current fitting and the wires will not allow it to mount on top. I’ve done a few of these. Feel free to PM with any questions.

Agree with this.  I wired up my K for dualsport and the Tusk harness made it all very simple.  You will need a flasher unit made for led turn signals, but they're cheap.  No worries on the power output, you'll have plenty but I would recommend a headlight that will accept an led bulb, H4 or HS1.   If you  don't have the stock capacitor no biggie, you can find them on ebay all day, but the trick is to get one that is fairly small.  Anything over 15-25 volts dc will be fine and the higher the micro farad count the better.  I just went with the Tusk hydraulic brake switch for the front brake as it's an easy install and I use my front more than my rear brake anyway.