KTMRider4Life

Suzuki Disbanding US R&D

I'm a fan of Suzuki products. Some are horrid, others are the very best you can buy for reliability, handling and other specific categories. They also were a huge 2 stroke engine manufacturer for arctic cat up until 2017/18. I feel like they are mishandling things. But the Tsunami Japan endured I think has the most to do with them rescinding out of development. Other corporations like yamaha took almost 8 years to show signs of newly developed product in off road categories after the Tsunami. 

Hope They are smart and just start making rm125's and stuff like that. I'd go buy one just cause its cool!

• Like 4

Sad day. Seems the switch to 4 strokes for Mx was the death blow. Those rm 250s were fantastic 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Doctor Shakalu Rotazion said:

They're just killing the 4t dirt bikes so they can focus on the new twin scroll turbo Busa. GIXXER BRAH!

The swing arm for the 2022 models will be 8 feet longer than the current model now, which is exactly how it should come.

• Haha 5

Suzuki had a radical positive influence on the sport.  It's my understanding that the GM bailout caused them great pain, and the Kawi co-development deal hurt them as well.  It will be a sad development if they drop out of the sport, but given their reliability problems the writing has been on the wall for a very long time.

I feel their biggest goof was not adding electric start to their latest redesign of the 450. Needed or not,not having one looks like something huge is lacking in the minds of the masses. I was over 40 before I ever owned a bike that would start itself. At 42,I turn my nose up at the prospect of a kick start only bike,unless it’s a small bore smoker. It’s as stupid as it is sad,but it’s also reality. I could kick start any bike that I wanted to ride. That said,I don’t want to. The riding public has been spoiled,and Suzuki is paying the price. New hold overs are so cheap that I’ve contemplated buying one for a buddy bike though. 

• Like 3
  • Angry 1

JGR looks to be getting hosed again based on this report. Anyone else wondering if they will pulling the plug after this season.

And 1000000% agreed on them needing to resurrect a rm125. Just slap the 20 yr old motor into the modern frame, sell it for 5k and it will fly off the shelf.  Not being sarcastic

• Like 4

I think JGR will start running a red KTM clone

As for Suzuki?? They should go full bore into MX smokers and go after the GNCC series but they won't. If they did they would &%$#@! it up and develop a heavy POS that nobody wants  

• Helpful 2

12 hours ago, mxaniac said:

Suzuki had a radical positive influence on the sport.  It's my understanding that the GM bailout caused them great pain, and the Kawi co-development deal hurt them as well.  It will be a sad development if they drop out of the sport, but given their reliability problems the writing has been on the wall for a very long time.

What reliability problems exactly? I always hear people say that but they never say exactly what. It seems like everyday I read threads about people having issues with their KTM's and Betas but they seem to get a pass.

9 hours ago, timmyp8823 said:

I feel their biggest goof was not adding electric start to their latest redesign of the 450. Needed or not,not having one looks like something huge is lacking in the minds of the masses. I was over 40 before I ever owned a bike that would start itself. At 42,I turn my nose up at the prospect of a kick start only bike,unless it’s a small bore smoker. It’s as stupid as it is sad,but it’s also reality. I could kick start any bike that I wanted to ride. That said,I don’t want to. The riding public has been spoiled,and Suzuki is paying the price. New hold overs are so cheap that I’ve contemplated buying one for a buddy bike though. 

The RMX had electric start and no one cared. So why would Suzuki put electric start on a new bike when people aren't buying the bike that already has electric start?

Edited by stupidmoto
  • Helpful 1

3 hours ago, stupidmoto said:

What reliability problems exactly? I always hear people say that but they never say exactly what. It seems like everyday I read threads about people having issues with their KTM's and Betas but they seem to get a pass.

The RMX had electric start and no one cared. So why would Suzuki put electric start on a new bike when people aren't buying the bike that already has electric start?

Swapping out 3rd gear is considered routine maintenance on a Suzuki.  They've also had some rear hub problems off and on over the years.

IMO the R&D dept was disbanded at least 15 years ago. The RMX 250 was the last great Suzuki and they didn't know what to do with it. A new in-the-crate '98 RMX is still the equal or better than any 2stk KTM being sold today and with e-start would be superior. Stupid!

• Like 4
  • Helpful 2

2 hours ago, mxaniac said:

Swapping out 3rd gear is considered routine maintenance on a Suzuki.  They've also had some rear hub problems off and on over the years.

I loved my '03 RM250 and was leery when I bought it because of the Suzuki durability issues I had heard about. Unfortunately they turned out to be true. Had problems with that bike I have never experienced with any other Japanese bike. That being said instill love the bike and am always on the look out for a nice used later model RM250 smoker! That bike cornered like no other, it was a bit of an adjustment getting on my next bike, an '05 YZ250.......

• Like 1

It's mostly the gearboxes that are the issues on zookies

I had one go at 25 hours on an RMZ 250 hundreds of other people have the same

Mine was a 2010 they didn't get the problem solved until about 2014

Many companies over the years have disbanded 'in country' R&D only for it to re-emerge with new staff. Especially if it is mostly a race team support group. Often, the R&D is really not a lot of people or a big facility and most of the time, it is really just marketing folk. They like to make people think it is chock full of leading edge engineers running dyno cells 24/7 and a brace of test riders/drivers and a parking lot of big rig support trucks at a private test track. When in truth, it might be a couple of guys, most with a writing background, a mechanic or two. The real local mechanic/engineers are at the distributors, dealing with defect analysis and reporting back to the big guys at the OEM.

• Like 5
  • Helpful 1

18 hours ago, mxaniac said:

I don't think 2019 was a great year for Zuke as a company but prior to that they had 4 to 5 year of increasing sales in most of their business units. And I think they do pretty well in India too. https://www.globalsuzuki.com/globalnews/2020/0428.html

I am guessing they are not small enough to be niche like KTM and don't have the capital to chuck around at dirtbikes like the big boys. And that, rather than reliability is the issue (all manufacturers have had reliability and design issues over the years).

46 minutes ago, William1 said:

Many companies over the years have disbanded 'in country' R&D only for it to re-emerge with new staff. Especially if it is mostly a race team support group. Often, the R&D is really not a lot of people or a big facility and most of the time, it is really just marketing folk. They like to make people think it is chock full of leading edge engineers running dyno cells 24/7 and a brace of test riders/drivers and a parking lot of big rig support trucks at a private test track. When in truth, it might be a couple of guys, most with a writing background, a mechanic or two. The real local mechanic/engineers are at the distributors, dealing with defect analysis and reporting back to the big guys at the OEM.

That's true but isn't this also Suzuki's 2nd year without a factory MXGP team?