KTMRider4Life

Suzuki Disbanding US R&D

8 minutes ago, William1 said:

Factory and non-factory is a blurry line. Pro and privateer is more defined.

Ok, they have no pro team in MXGP for the 2nd year.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Zinergy said:

Ok, they have no pro team in MXGP for the 2nd year.

Yup, not willing to be on the note for the entire bill. So instead, they 'lend support' (technically, it can be bikes, parts and in-house tech support) and allow a team to get nearly any sponsor. A 'factory team' sponsors are all factory approved. At the end of the day, it is about dollars.

Even though bike sales are slightly increasing, the average age of motorcycle owners is going way up.  In the US in 1985 the average age was 27, in 2003 it was 41, and in 2018 it was 50.  Manufacturers must see the writing on the wall.  Either build trikes for the elderly, or perhaps electric bikes will entice younger owners.  From a market perspective I just don't see dumping a bunch of R&D into products your buyers will soon be too old to utilize.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

7 hours ago, Piney Woods said:

A new in-the-crate '98 RMX is still the equal or better than any 2stk KTM being sold today

Ummmmm.......paging @mog paging @KTMRider4Life

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

the world has been feminized. this doesn't exactly fit well with dirt and motorcycles

• Like 7

42 minutes ago, lowmass said:

the world has been feminized. this doesn't exactly fit well with dirt and motorcycles

Sadly you are completely right. Although I do see dads take it way the other direction and have their kids do mma, shoot guns, and ride. 

Apparently Suzuki is still doing plenty of R&D outside the US. The 2020 RM-Z 250 in Australia got WiFi tuning. It makes sense Suzuki is making cool stuff for markets where people actually buy their bikes. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, stupidmoto said:

Apparently Suzuki is still doing plenty of R&D outside the US. The 2020 RM-Z 250 in Australia got WiFi tuning. It makes sense Suzuki is making cool stuff for markets where people actually buy their bikes. 

It's all relative, but implementing 20 year old technology isn't much of an R&D effort.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, mxaniac said:

It's all relative, but implementing 20 year old technology isn't much of an R&D effort.

If it ain't broke don't fix it. People have no issue buying 2020 Yamaha 2 strokes that are 15 years old. Please, do go on about all the amazing groundbreaking dirt bike technology and engineering/design breakthroughs other manufactures have discovered in the past few years...

• Like 6

Sadly you have been proven wrong by the fact few buy a rmz even at a huge discount 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, mog said:

Sadly you have been proven wrong by the fact few buy a rmz even at a huge discount 

Yea I guess more bikes and parts for me then.

Edited by stupidmoto

17 hours ago, mxaniac said:

Even though bike sales are slightly increasing, the average age of motorcycle owners is going way up.  In the US in 1985 the average age was 27, in 2003 it was 41, and in 2018 it was 50.  Manufacturers must see the writing on the wall.  Either build trikes for the elderly, or perhaps electric bikes will entice younger owners.  From a market perspective I just don't see dumping a bunch of R&D into products your buyers will soon be too old to utilize.

Because dirt bikes are wayyy too expensive, period. I blame the 4 Stroke. 4 Stroke dirtbikes killed the sport by making purchase and ownership prohibitively expensive for the middle class. I'd bet the average guy buying a new dirt bike right now already owns several bikes and has a median income of 75k or more. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Bigfatredpig said:

Sadly you are completely right. Although I do see dads take it way the other direction and have their kids do mma, shoot guns, and ride. 

Good luck with that, those kids will be branded Toxic Males if they don't know how to keep shut up about those activities. They will also crush ass because women still loves them a caveman, they just wont admit it. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Doctor Shakalu Rotazion said:

Good luck with that, those kids will be branded Toxic Males if they don't know how to keep shut up about those activities. They will also crush ass because women still loves them a caveman, they just wont admit it. 

The weaker society as a whole gets the more caveman will thrive and get ahead.

I see a caveman resurgence now that the economy has completely crashed.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, stupidmoto said:

If it ain't broke don't fix it. People have no issue buying 2020 Yamaha 2 strokes that are 15 years old. Please, do go on about all the amazing groundbreaking dirt bike technology and engineering/design breakthroughs other manufactures have discovered in the past few years...

Development has been fairly stagnant other than the 4T engine.  When the 4T first came out it didn't have much peak power, compression braking was awful, and they blew up all the time.  Now that just isn't the case.

The bikes are better refined, weight distribution on the Honda and Yamaha is impressive. KTM is just effing light.  That kind of refinement is actually quite time consuming.

So all the R&D had effectively gone into making a heavy 4T engine work where an inexpensive light 2T engine used to work. 

• Helpful 1

They bought their last championship with Roczen and stopped giving a crap after that

4 hours ago, stupidmoto said:

Yeah, the moto world revolves around AussieLand!   :goofy:

Suzuki started getting a bad rap when McGrath and then other end of career racers would ride Suzuki.

It was like a death sentence for both...

It was like, poor aging ___________, no one wants them so they had to sign with Suzuki. When ____________, no longer won, Suzuki got the blame.